at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointed with a character

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

lily liver
Embryo

at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointed with a character

•      
  •      

Postby lily liver » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:37 am

my number 1 is when Shinji didn't know what to do when Asuka kissed him and stood there like a dead fish. when i watch that part, i scream in my head at him "lift up your arms, grab her hand away from your nose and hold her hand, and embrace her with the other arm!". if that had gone well, that alone would'n't have fixed everything, but it would have broken down so many barriers between them and got the ball rolling to where their relationship could develop into something normal. its like the frustration you feel when someone blows it on a game show and says the wrong answer to the easiest question you've ever heard, but more personal because i wish somebody was interested in me like that, and there's Shinji... crashing and burning and squandering like it ain't no thing.
i want to hug him because i understand being that autistic, but i also want to punch him in the head.

my number 2 off the top of my head is when Asuka told Kaji she wants him to bone her. she's so young and naive that she doesn't understand how completely uncomfortable that would make a normal adult man, and seeing it from his perspective specifically is even worse because he knows how psychologically damaged she is.
Last edited by lily liver on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Iuvenal
Sachiel

Re: at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointing with a character

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:11 am

I would have to say the hospital scene. For one thing, ol' Shin-man only lasted about fifteen seconds based on the timestamps in VLC, which is pathetic even for a fourteen year old. For another thing, he inexplicably used his strong hand (yeah yeah, it makes the recurring hand symbolism work) which is bizarre. Finally, he somehow got it all over his hand when he finished - I don't even know how he managed to do that, but it's gross as hell. And it's not like he can claim inexperience as an excuse - during the train scene in pre-instrumentality, Asuka makes clear that he does this all the time (not sure how she knew that at that point btw).

On a more serious note, probably the kicking/strangulation scene on EoE. Great drama to be sure, but two broken people who have so much in common lashing out with all their pent-up nastiness is hard to watch.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointing with a character

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm

To a first approximation, Shinji throughout the entire of EoE. Needing to be dragged by Misato after his suicide-by-JSSDF had been thwarted, and his lethal force as first resort exactly when it wasn't appropriate were the low points.

@Iuvenal
Fapping with your off-hand is a thing? Sounds crazy to me.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
SHE WAS ELEVEN YEARS OLD
SHE LIKED TO HELP PEOPLE

Dima
Lilin
Lilin

Re: at which point were you most angry/frustrated/disappointed with a character

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Without doubt, Shinji in EoE. I was so mad at him that i was like ''wtf Shinji, get in Eva, people are dying, no time for this shit''
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:22 pm

Ritsuko when she slaughtered a tank full of defenseless Rei clones. She went from being a character I thought was alright to a character I absolutely hate. Yeah you can say the clones had no souls or whatever, it still doesn't make a difference to me.
Final Fantasy VII is being remade, all's right with the world.
BASCH LIVES 2017
#1 Duck Team/Akebi Sasaki (Girls und Panzer) fan.
"There are two things I can't stand: People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch." -Nigel Powers (Austin Powers: Goldmember)
"Oh no, Haruka! My butt's already split! I think my whole team's butts are split!" -Minori (Senran Kagura: Estival Versus)

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:14 pm

All of the character interaction in 3.0 frustrates me to a very high degree(except Kaworu and Shinji).
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:06 pm

View Original Postlily liver wrote:my number 1 is when Shinji didn't know what to do when Asuka kissed him and stood there like a dead fish...

Maybe this is not the proper venue to discuss your point, but FWIW, I didn't have a problem with Shinji's behavior in this scene at all. The way I look at it, Asuka had spent a lot of time up to this point in the series either insulting Shinji or openly lusting after Kaji, freely admits that she just returned from abandoning that guy, who was a friend of Hikari's sister, right in the middle of their date, taunts Shinji about his deceased mother(pretty low blow, especially coming from her) on the very same day he went to visit the gravesite, and claims that the only reason she wants to kiss Shinji is out of sheer boredom.

These should all have been major red flags to Shinji, but he overlooks all of it and kisses her anyway. As far as the audience knows, this was most likely his first kiss ever. Instead of taking any of this into account, or realizing that Shinji was probably stepping way outside of his comfort zone for a fleeting chance at being a little closer to her, she chooses to interpret it as a rejection, just because he didn't take any additional liberties or "try to steal second base" or something.

Moral of the story? I dunno. Chicks totally hate it when guys try to behave like gentlemen, I guess?

All irreverence aside, I think it's a bit unfair to call a fourteen year old kid autistic just because he happens to be shy around girls.

lily liver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lily liver » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:30 pm

^ my frustration comes from knowing things he doesn't. thinking about it in context, i guess i couldn't blame him for behaving the way he does, but still, there is a type of frustration i can justifiably feel. haven't you ever thought back on past decisions you've made and realized that you completely fucked up, considering things you could only know after the fact? that's what its like.

as for calling him autistic, as far as i know (from the proof-of-concept pamphlet IIRC, or some interview with a creator), eva was originally conceived as being about two children with autism who learn how to deal with it together, which i can only assume was Rei and Shinji. so as far as i'm aware, Shinji is autistic "in spirit".

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:03 pm

The most frustrating moment was when Shinji ran away in Episode 19. Of course, it made his return to the EVA and defeat of Zeruel all the more satisfying.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:49 am

EoE Shinji is just the worst. Even he would agree.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:19 am

Indeed; in some translations he actually says "I'm the worst" at the end of that scene.

But am I angry/frustrated/disappointed with him? I'm not sure any of those is right - really I'm just sad for him.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: How a recent moderation decision makes Shinji feel. (details); Past avatars.
Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:25 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Indeed; in some translations he actually says "I'm the worst" at the end of that scene.

But am I angry/frustrated/disappointed with him? I'm not sure any of those is right - really I'm just sad for him.

Given what got him to that point I can't feel anything but pity for him. Same with all the kids, really, since they're . . . kids.

Now Gendo, OTOH . . . that guy needs a paddlin'. :bat:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:17 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:EoE Shinji is just the worst. Even he would agree.

Especially when he's in the Eva cage... hell the manga did better than the source.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:59 am

- NGE Asuka, throughout
-- Only exceptions are the rare instances where she lets her guard down and shows some indication of being a decent, amiable kid. Standout examples are when she returns from the date in episode #15 and just shoots the shit with Shinji, and in #22 when she starts to open up about her family.
- 3.0 Shinji
-- The whole fucking time.

View Original Postlily liver wrote:as for calling him autistic, as far as i know (from the proof-of-concept pamphlet IIRC, or some interview with a creator), eva was originally conceived (snip)

Source or it's fake.

And Shinji totally isn't autistic. In any way, shape, or form. Anno, on the other hand... Dude gives out some serious Aspy vibes. One of us, one of us!
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

lily liver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lily liver » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:02 pm

i tried looking for a source on the autism thing, and i can't find it. i don't expect you to believe me but i swear i saw something like that.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:46 pm

View Original Postlily liver wrote:i tried looking for a source on the autism thing, and i can't find it. i don't expect you to believe me but i swear i saw something like that.

The Internet is such a rich place for rumors to sprout and flourish, and human memory such a fragile and malleable thing, that "sauce" is an absolute necessity. A lot of the stuff I've thought to be true turns out to be complete garbage once it was finally placed side by side with the original source. Experience suggests that this is by far a more common human experience than not.
Crying Man
(Or, How Dr. Katsuragi Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft. Chapter 10: Idle Hands released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

lily liver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lily liver » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:13 pm

well maybe you're right.

SawItAtAge10
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:29 pm

Gendo- when he wouldn't stop during Shinji's pleading as Eva 3 was being destroyed.
Asuka- when discussing her stepmom could've been a moment of levity between her and Shinji and she turned it into another bitch fest.
Misato- for not intervening a tad more during the descent arc even as she became increasingly aware of the Asuka and Shinji's mental states.
Naoko- everything she does irritates me, save for building the MAGI.
Toji- Upon my initially viewing of the early episodes, I thought he was an asshole and a bully (obviously that position has changed, but that was my initial impression).
Kaji- for being too awesome to live.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:49 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:Kaji- for being too awesome to live.

Really though. :resurrect:
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Iuvenal
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:59 pm

Kaji was pretty awesome, but that's not why he died. I've always figured his requisite gaping character flaw was Fox Mulder syndrome, and that that's what killed him. I do agree that "you're late" is a frustrating thing to watch, however.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”