Anno loves Yamato

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Anno loves Yamato

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:54 am

I've been wandering through this website and came across these interviews with Anno and Yamato creators Leiji Matsumoto and Yoshinobu Nishizaki. Oh and there's this as well
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Anno loves Yamato

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:07 am

I'd be more surprised if Hideaki didn't like it. He keeps making references to the show. Didn't 3.33 have one?

That said, I wonder what 2199 would have been like with him in the lead? It's not like the show is free of Evangelion references anyway.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:34 pm

IIRC Anno was actually considered for the job, but was too busy with NTE to make that possible, so instead it went to Izubuchi. Amusingly episode 14 of 2199 can be considered a 20 minute long Eva reference
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Unit 02's horns look just like the Yamato's bow. That's a dead giveaway. :lol:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:34 pm

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Is there any 70s-era Japanese pop culture that Anno doesn't love?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:24 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:I wonder what 2199 would have been like with him in the lead?

Wow. The mind boggles.

I drop to my knees every night and thank whatever deities are listening that Anno didn't end up in charge of Yamato 2199. The plot would've been rendered almost completely incoherent, the characters would be neither willing nor capable of prioritizing the mission to save Earth over dwelling on their own personal problems, the entire production would have run out of money by around episode eighteen, and/or Anno most likely would've quit out of boredom or creative differences. Also, years later we'd still be waiting for a proper ending.

And that's not even taking into account the excessive amount of fanservice (which he would insist upon, just so he could later blame it all on otaku).

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:42 am

^ I can feel your anger. It makes you stronger, gives you focus...

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:05 am

^ Good to hear. I was a little worried I might've been too subtle.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:21 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:The plot would've been rendered almost completely incoherent

Oh yes. Just like Gunbuster and Nadia
the characters would be neither willing nor capable of prioritizing the mission to save Earth over dwelling on their own personal problems

Because as we all know, neither Nemo nor Misato cared one bit about saving Earth
the entire production would have run out of money by around episode eighteen, and/or Anno most likely would've quit out of boredom or creative differences.

2199 would've had too large a budget to go bankrupt like Eva did. And Anno would certainly never leave the production of one of his all time favourite series
Also, years later we'd still be waiting for a proper ending.

Judging by his anime roster, I'd say.........no

And that's not even taking into account the excessive amount of fanservice (which he would insist upon, just so he could later blame it all on otaku).

Because 2199 didn't have any explicit fanservise of its own, nooooooooo none whatsoever
SPOILER: Show

Also I should probably mention that Anno was the one who storyboarded the series opening

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:15 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Oh yes. Just like Gunbuster and Nadia

Gunbuster I think came out in the late eighties and Nadia was early nineties, whereas Yamato 2199 was circa 2013. I would suggest that we're talking about vastly different eras for Mr. Anno.

Because as we all know, neither Nemo nor Misato cared one bit about saving Earth

It's been a while since I watched Nadia, but I remember Nemo being fairly badass (most likely inspired by originals like Okita). Misato on the other hand...
I dunno. TV version Misato had a vendetta against the angels, while Rebuild Misato seems way too preoccupied with slapping explosive collars on kids. YMMV

2199 would've had too large a budget to go bankrupt like Eva did. And Anno would certainly never leave the production of one of his all time favourite series

I think you might be underestimating his abilities. You gotta have a little faith. Although, I suppose it's always possible that sponsors/other sources of funding might elect to back out midstream if they were unhappy with the direction the series was being taken.

Judging by his anime roster, I'd say.........no

Does that roster include Rebuild?

Because 2199 didn't have any explicit fanservise of its own, nooooooooo none whatsoever

I don't have any hard data (pun intended), but I think the running time of one Rebuild film probably contains more fanservice than the entire twenty-six episodes of 2199.

Also I should probably mention that Anno was the one who storyboarded the series opening

Legend has it that he soon followed up this contribution to the production by immediately suggesting a timeskip be shoehorned into the middle of the series and was politely asked to leave. Calm down, I'm just kidding (mostly).

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:46 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:while Rebuild Misato seems way too preoccupied with slapping explosive collars on kids.

And yunno, trying to stop 4I during the climax
Does that roster include Rebuild?

2199 is a tv series whilst NTE is a film series. There's a difference

Also, how much of Anno's work have you actually seen?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:47 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Because 2199 didn't have any explicit fanservise of its own, nooooooooo none whatsoever
SPOILER: Show

That man either has the greatest self-control known on Earth, or he just isn't interested at all. Because that's 12 times hotter than all of the fan-service scene in NTE put together.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:28 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:And yunno, trying to stop 4I during the climax

If Unit-01 and Shinji are supposedly able to trigger impacts every time they sneeze, then why go through all the effort of retrieving them from orbit in the first place? Not to mention, I can't really say with any level of certainty what this version of Misato's goals actually are, since there was a significant timeskip and no concrete explanations were offered. Q devotes maybe just a few minutes to her character. I mean, originally it appeared as though Gendo was trying to prevent 3I, right up until the point where it was revealed that he wasn't.

2199 is a tv series whilst NTE is a film series. There's a difference

I was under the impression that 2199 was first shown in Japan's theaters a handful of episodes at a time before it eventually saw a release as a TV series/BluRay. Was that not the case?

Also, how much of Anno's work have you actually seen?

Let's see. The original Macross, DYRL, Daicon vids, Gunbuster, Nadia, every incarnation of Eva that he was involved in (so far), Re: Cutie Honey. I might be forgetting something. Was he also involved in Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise? What about Otaku No Video?

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:45 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:If Unit-01 and Shinji are supposedly able to trigger impacts every time they sneeze, then why go through all the effort of retrieving them from orbit in the first place?

They need Unit-01 to power Wunder of course. Plus, it was established that Shinji would not be able to synchronize with his Eva anymore, and i doubt Wille knew of Eva 13's existence

I was under the impression that 2199 was first shown in Japan's theaters a handful of episodes at a time before it eventually saw a release as a TV series/BluRay. Was that not the case?

I'ts episodes were released theatrically in chapters, but the actual production was that of a TV series

Let's see. The original Macross, DYRL, Daicon vids, Gunbuster, Nadia, every incarnation of Eva that he was involved in (so far), Re: Cutie Honey. I might be forgetting something. Was he also involved in Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise?

Everything else is here

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:50 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That man either has the greatest self-control known on Earth

This is the first gif I saw of that scene

View Original PostXard wrote:Image

But that wouldn't be the only time Xard posted a shooped ani-gif.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:55 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:Let's see. The original Macross, DYRL, Daicon vids, Gunbuster, Nadia, every incarnation of Eva that he was involved in (so far), Re: Cutie Honey. I might be forgetting something. Was he also involved in Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise? What about Otaku No Video?

If we're counting films in which he was involved as an animator, and not as the chief director, then he also did Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Grave of the Fireflies.

Narrowing his works down to projects he was actually the director, he's made, in chronological order:

Gunbuster: Aim for the Top

The Secret of Blue Water

Neon Genesis Evangelion (Both TV Show and the films)

His and Her Circumstances

Love & Pop

Shiki-Jitsu

Ryusei Kacho (short film)

Cutie Honey (2003 live-action film)

Evangelion Jo, Ha, and Q

...And his next film is Godzilla Resurgence.

These are the movies in which he was heading up the creative team, writing scripts, directing voice actors and animators, making editorial judgment calls, and doing other things that are needed to burn his own personal vision onto film. In many of the other projects he was a part of (such as Macross and the like) he was merely acting as a contributor in burning some other director's vision onto film.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:But that wouldn't be the only time Xard posted a shooped ani-gif.

This image makes a bit more sense.

Shark Knight
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shark Knight » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:30 pm

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:^ Good to hear. I was a little worried I might've been too subtle.

I salute you Baron!

I think that what we saw on Nadia was already his take on how he would do Yamato "seriously it looks like, Yamato and it wants to be Yamato but it doesnt act like it and it ISNT) and I am glad he didnt cause we wouldve had a bunch of self insert stuff and electra complexes running rampant throught the show but due to the stuff that you mentioned he is just NOT the man for the job.
Let None Find Us Wanting

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:08 pm

Watch it with the omnislashing, guys.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:57 pm

@Shark Knight: I am honored by your salute and reciprocate in kind. Okay, I guess that might not mean much, since technically my avatar automatically salutes everybody, but, in keeping with the custom displayed throughout the original Yamato, I'm also placing my hand over my heart in a genre savvy show of respect (couldn't really find the proper emoticon).

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”