Shinji's acceptance of Kaworu's Plan

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Eliaskar
Lilith

Shinji's acceptance of Kaworu's Plan

•      
  •      

Postby Eliaskar » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:21 pm

I can accept a lot of things in 3.33 for not being exactly clear, its kinda something I love about it and why it's my favourite Rebuild film. However, the one thing I don't think makes sense is when Kaworu tells Shinji after taking the collar off, that if they go into dogma and take the spears, that changing the world is possible.

And then Shinji is like, "...Ohhh yeeaah! You know what? you're right! That makes perfect sense!" Even though he has no prior knowledge of the spears; except seeing Lilith impaled with one in 1.11.

I can see people arguing that this is just Shinji listening to watching Kaworu says, but it seems somewhat silly to me whenever I see it.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Shinji's acceptance of Kaworu's Plan

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:39 pm

It really works for me because it double downs on Shinji's helplessness & search for redepmtion. His big problem in the third film is instead of accepting the pain he (inadvertently) started in 2.0 Shinji immediately sets about looking for a way to let himself off the hook. He puts all his faith for redemption in Rei & when she doesn't return his advances how is he able to resist this guy offering him warmth & friendship. He accepts it & then when he realizes there is no redemption with Rei - she's a clone - he places all his hope on Kaworu. Then Kaworu offers something even better then a person offering warmth... an idea.

"You mean if I get those spears/money/fame/awards/etc all my past mistakes will be forgiven and all the people who used to love me will take me back?! That everything could be okay again & maybe even BETTER!"

Ideas can be great. Ideas can be dangerous. When a dangerous idea that offers great rewards truly gets hold of someone it's hard and takes time for reality to settle in.* I've always felt that's what happens to Shinji at the end of 3.0. He's at his lowest point & then this vague & relatively attainable notion of redemption is given to him & fuck all who say otherwise, THAT'S THE ONLY WAY.

Of course it isn't. And now Shinji has to atone for the pain he's caused but do so from a more altruistic viewpoint. But that's Film Four.

*I'm not trying to create a political side conversation BUT:
It's the same as how every four years in the US the entire country seemingly latches onto various Presidential candidates who make bloviated empty statements about how they'll fix EVERYTHING. Building walls, rebellions, winning, Change, etc etc. It's all empty rhetoric that is devoid of any connection to how the three-branched political system of checks & balances really works but those ideas take hold in the general populace & almost nothing can dissuade people from giving their support to their candidate. *Shrugs*.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Kaworu manipulated Shinji more deeply into guilt and alienation, then gave him a solution for his problems on a silver platter. Doesn't matter how nonsensoleum-fueled it is. When someone is desperate enough for a way out, it's not unusual for them to be willing to try anything. The sort of charisma that Kaworu has sure doesn't hurt. He'd be a good snake oil salesman.

Gendo's Papa: Hahaha, I was thinking about political candidates and their supporters, too. XD
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shark Knight
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shark Knight » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:18 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Kaworu manipulated Shinji more deeply into guilt and alienation, then gave him a solution for his problems on a silver platter. Doesn't matter how nonsensoleum-fueled it is. When someone is desperate enough for a way out, it's not unusual for them to be willing to try anything. The sort of charisma that Kaworu has sure doesn't hurt. He'd be a good snake oil salesman.

I really like this assertion on things and I belive the same. Ikari was just desperate to fix things to the point where he didnt care at all about Kaworu's words.
I mean basically Kaworu went, look around you. You screwed and warped the world "at leas this part of the world" and that's why everyone hates you but there is a way to fix it you know?
Kaworu's charismatic levels are at In-human levels - cause he is not human, get it? haha? tadum tsch! - to put any fallout player charisma's skills to shame. Now someone like that being kind to some teen with abandonment issues that is confused about basically everything and thinks everyone hates him was only to be expected to do what he wished.

It sort of mirrors the happy prince kind of deal but in a more manipulative nature. Then again the irony, Kaworu played him like a Piano and then Gendo played them both.
Let None Find Us Wanting

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:25 pm

Besides what else could Shinji had done: he's on an isolated floating base in the middle of an alien wasteland with absolutely nothing else to do except playing piano or reading books.
Had he refused Kaworu's plan, he would had simply shrugged, they would had gotten back to their old sterile routine of playing piano and looking at stars, with the surroundings a constant reminder of what happened, until Shinji would lose it and finally accept, just to have the opportunity to do something.

Although what he could had done was to ask Kaworu for more details about this plan of his, firstly what exactly those spears will do. But again, neo-NERV did everything to destroy his mind and drive him in the pits of despair to prevent him from asking too many questions and notices the holes in their words.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:27 pm

*Kaworu takes off the collar*
*Puts it on himself*

It amazes me how the first thought going through people's head is not "THROW THAT DAMN THING AWAY!" You're not burdening any sort of weight with it, Shinji wasn't at fault for anything, that's Misato's kill switch!
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:16 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:*Kaworu takes off the collar*
*Puts it on himself*

It amazes me how the first thought going through people's head is not "THROW THAT DAMN THING AWAY!" You're not burdening any sort of weight with it, Shinji wasn't at fault for anything, that's Misato's kill switch!

That's actually what many people first thought when they saw him putting the collar on himself, but that was actually symbolic: Kaworu said that he would help Shinji redeem himself and by putting the DSS Choker on himself, the mark of his shame and sin, he symbolically takes part of Shinji's burden to shoulder it.
Which is also a subtle act of guilt-tripping from Kaworu. ("Look, I put the dangerous bomb collar so if things go wrong you won't be the one to die, now you can't refuse to go with me with this plan after what I did to you can't you?" :kaworusparkle: )
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

one-eyed
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby one-eyed » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:41 am

ElMariachi wrote: Which is also a subtle act of guilt-tripping from Kaworu. ("Look, I put the dangerous bomb collar so if things go wrong you won't be the one to die, now you can't refuse to go with me with this plan

And besides, we have no idea what Kaworu meant to make Shinji happy and what his great plan was. Kaworu was looking like a Gendo diet version in Q. I never trusted in Kaworu, and acting as Gendo wannabe made me trust even less. Quite impressive indeed.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:32 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:*Kaworu takes off the collar*
*Puts it on himself*

It amazes me how the first thought going through people's head is not "THROW THAT DAMN THING AWAY!"

Except Kaworu explains exactly why he does it: In case the EVA awakens, one of them might have to die, and he'd rather it not be Shinji.

As for Shinji's POV, I don't think any of the above conspiracy theories are required: Beside the obvious volatile emotional state thing, Shinji had been told so many crazy things over the course of that movie that he just didn't question it at this point anymore; He doesn't know what to beieve or trust anymore, and Kaworu's the closest thing to a person he trusts left on the planet.

What's underrated about the scene IMHO is that they both basically swear to stop NERV/GENDO/SEELE... It didn't take, but that in itself is interesting because in the classic series Shinji never learned of Gendo's plans before the actual TI, at a point where he couldn't really react to them, whereas here we kind of see what he would do if given the opportunity (though unlike in many a fanfic, just knowing & deciding that does not immediately solve a problems, even with Kaworu as an ally) - Kaworu said it right away that he is, like Shinji, someone "whose fate was predermined" & likely emphasises with him because of this, and here, we see both of them going against their destinies together. Kaworu, too, had already made up his mind to begin with (whereas in the anime, he only fully decided to spare the Lillim the moment he realized what was actually in terminal dogma)
That, of course, makes it even sadder that they all ended up playing into Gendo's hand anyways. But he's simply been at it planning since Shinji was a kid, if not longer.

Shinji never realy understood much of Kaworu's esoteric talk; Here, it actually bites them in the ass. Among other things.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:59 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Except Kaworu explains exactly why he does it: In case the EVA awakens, one of them might have to die, and he'd rather it not be Shinji.

He doesn't say he keeps the choker in case the Eva awakens and it needs to be stopped by killing one of the pilots. It's what happens, but Kaworu doesn't make it at all clear that he keeps the choker as a contingency plan, or even considered it, and so this point is debatable at best.

What's underrated about the scene IMHO is that they both basically swear to stop NERV/GENDO/SEELE... It didn't take, but that in itself is interesting because in the classic series Shinji never learned of Gendo's plans before the actual TI, at a point where he couldn't really react to them, whereas here we kind of see what he would do if given the opportunity (though unlike in many a fanfic, just knowing & deciding that does not immediately solve a problems, even with Kaworu as an ally) - Kaworu said it right away that he is, like Shinji, someone "whose fate was predermined" & likely emphasises with him because of this, and here, we see both of them going against their destinies together. Kaworu, too, had already made up his mind to begin with (whereas in the anime, he only fully decided to spare the Lillim the moment he realized what was actually in terminal dogma)

Nothing indicates that Kaworu is going against Seele in this scene. He is Seele's boy, afterall, and in the NTE universe, he represents their hand in the field. They seemed pretty happy and confident with how things were going up until Gendo mucked things up for them.

The two of them deciding to go against Nerv/Gendo, however, is pretty interesting, however Kaworu probably always wanted this. Again, he is Seele's boy, and Seele and Gendo have been engaged in chess against each other for quite some time; by winning Shinji over to his side, Kaworu grants Seele an edge over Gendo. Problem was that Gendo was counting on it.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Signer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Signer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:20 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:The two of them deciding to go against Nerv/Gendo, however, is pretty interesting, however Kaworu probably always wanted this. Again, he is Seele's boy, and Seele and Gendo have been engaged in chess against each other for quite some time;

What I don't understand, is why Kaworu thought, that Gendo would just let him take spears for himself, if Gendo is known to be against Seele?
Where is the center of the multiverse?
I'm the center of the multiverse.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:32 pm

That's the part that bugs me the most out of all of this. Gendo told Kaworu and Shinji to take the Eva when Shinji first arrived at Nerv. It's not like they stole it without Gendo realizing. I get that Kaworu grossly underestimated him, but did he really expect that there wouldn't be any contingencies in place?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:37 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:That's the part that bugs me the most out of all of this. Gendo told Kaworu and Shinji to take the Eva when Shinji first arrived at Nerv. It's not like they stole it without Gendo realizing. I get that Kaworu grossly underestimated him, but did he really expect that there wouldn't be any contingencies in place?

Gendo wasn't specific. All he said was that when the time comes, Shinji will pilot Unit-13 with Kaworu. Both Kaworu and Shinji were probably waiting for Gendo's order, but eventually they decided to take it and do their own thing. That was exactly what Gendo was counting on. If Gendo himself had ordered them to go to Lilith's Chamber, Kaworu could have easily seen his motivation and subverted it on Seele's behalf (like he did with Unit-01 in Ha). However, Gendo didn't say or do anything; he simply waited, bided his time, and remained almost entirely absent, letting Kaworu come up with the bright idea on his own.

The thing is, Unit-13 was intended specifically to be able to penetrate the barrier surrounding Lilith's Chamber, and Kaworu knew that. What else could he have believed Gendo's intentions were with Unit-13, other than pulling the spears? If they had been the proper Longinus and Cassius combination, I'm assuming that pulling them would result in Seele's goal, rather than Gendo's. Maybe Kaworu believed Seele had an advantage over Gendo (they seemingly did throughout the Q), and that Gendo had no possible move he could make; so Kaworu then proceeded with Seele's plan to pull Longinus and Cassius, but they both turned out to be Longinus, which foiled him.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:58 am

How could they even build a barrier that couldn't be broken except under REALLY specific circumstances that certainly did not exist when the barrier was put up...?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:05 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:How could they even build a barrier that couldn't be broken except under REALLY specific circumstances that certainly did not exist when the barrier was put up...?

The barrier is a mystery of its own. Is it artificial, or is it a byproduct of what went down during Third Impact proper? What about Unit-13 is unique that allows it to penetrate the barrier? The lack of an AT-Field? Or perhaps even the dual-piloting? Being an Adam doesn't seem right, since Mark.09 is as one as well (unless being a "vessel" makes a significant difference).
- Sachi

Signer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Signer » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:15 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:The thing is, Unit-13 was intended specifically to be able to penetrate the barrier surrounding Lilith's Chamber, and Kaworu knew that. What else could he have believed Gendo's intentions were with Unit-13, other than pulling the spears?

Mari realized Gendo's goal after revelation of there being another angel - Kaworu. So, what if the official plan was to pull the spears but don't initiate impact right away and Kaworu thought, that Gendo doesn't know he is an angel (or even didn't know about angel in Mark-06 corpse)? But because of the presence of two angels, impact was inevitable and Seele was okay with that, but because of different spear Kaworu had to sacrifice himself to stop impact (that Gendo knew he would do). But that would mean Mari knew about Kaworu's plan/his obsession with Shinji too, or she just thought that starting an impact was Gendo's goal.
Where is the center of the multiverse?
I'm the center of the multiverse.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:03 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:The barrier is a mystery of its own. Is it artificial, or is it a byproduct of what went down during Third Impact proper?

I seem to recall there being construction equipment on top of the barrier.

What about Unit-13 is unique that allows it to penetrate the barrier? The lack of an AT-Field?

The whole "lack of the very thing that gives Evas their power --> most powerful Eva" remains one of the dumbest things in the film franchise. Definitely up there with "the core is the Angels' weak spot, therefore making the whole Angel a core... makes the Angel immensely more powerful, for some reason!".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:11 am

View Original PostSigner wrote:Mari realized Gendo's goal after revelation of there being another angel - Kaworu. So, what if the official plan was to pull the spears but don't initiate impact right away and Kaworu thought, that Gendo doesn't know he is an angel (or even didn't know about angel in Mark-06 corpse)? But because of the presence of two angels, impact was inevitable and Seele was okay with that, but because of different spear Kaworu had to sacrifice himself to stop impact (that Gendo knew he would do). But that would mean Mari knew about Kaworu's plan/his obsession with Shinji too, or she just thought that starting an impact was Gendo's goal.

Kaworu cryptically addressed Gendo in 2.0 during Gendo and Fuyu's trip in space, while they in-turn observed Kaworu upon the moon's surface with the Mark.06, so Kaworu is most certainly aware that Gendo knows about his Angelic identity. As for the 12th Angel being within Mark.06: I'm pretty sure Gendo was involved in whatever was going on during Third Impact and would be aware of the 12th Angel's presence. Even Asuka remarks the Angel as being still alive as soon as it begins acting up, which seems to indicate it was no secret.

I believe Kaworu's failure comes directly from his (and Seele's) overconfidence that Gendo was in checkmate, especially after winning over Shinji to his side. After Gendo's original blasphemy of Awakening Unit-01, Seele came in with Kaworu and Mark.06 to shut him down; they probably maintained a significant advantage over him throughout the 14 years, with Kaworu acting as an enforcer to ensure he stayed submissive. Gendo kept his head down, long enough for Seele to believe they'd tamed him, while he secretly plotted against them. Eventually Shinji returns, Unit-13 is completed, and Seele proceeds with their plans, unaware of Gendo's betrayal until it was too late. Gendo wasn't already in checkmate, but had in fact already made his winning move well before Seele could realize.
- Sachi

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:27 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:The barrier is a mystery of its own. Is it artificial, or is it a byproduct of what went down during Third Impact proper? What about Unit-13 is unique that allows it to penetrate the barrier? The lack of an AT-Field? Or perhaps even the dual-piloting? Being an Adam doesn't seem right, since Mark.09 is as one as well (unless being a "vessel" makes a significant difference).

It's probably the equipment on board rather than the Eva itself. When they get ready to break the seal, some machinery behind the seat swaps out the Eva's drives and that harmonizing graphic pops up in the HUD. Maybe it requires the synchronization of an Angel and a Lilin to ensure that nobody can open it?

Reichu wrote:The whole "lack of the very thing that gives Evas their power --> most powerful Eva" remains one of the dumbest things in the film franchise. Definitely up there with "the core is the Angels' weak spot, therefore making the whole Angel a core... makes the Angel immensely more powerful, for some reason!".

The Adams seem to be more powerful than the Evas naturally. Unit 01 completely overpowers the state-of-the-art Unit 03 in a straight contest of strength and slaps Zeruel around when Units 00 and 02 could barely budge it. Unit 13 catches swords barehanded without even scratching the paint and somehow holds Unit 02 in the air with them.

The DM probably gives them additional feats and buffs to their strength and constitution to make up for their lack of a magical barrier. :lol:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:25 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:The DM probably gives them additional feats and buffs to their strength and constitution to make up for their lack of a magical barrier. :lol:

Eva-01 does have that 'magical barrier', though. Eva-13 is portrayed as being more powerful not in spite of lacking it, but BECAUSE it lacks it. Which is, in the absence of anything whatsoever explaining why this is... really, really dumb.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”