The problem with Evangelion hentai doujinshi

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

lily liver
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 37
Joined: Mar 07, 2016
Location: ohio
Gender: Male

The problem with Evangelion hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby lily liver » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:05 pm

the most persistent thing that bothers me when i see them/stumble on them/flip through one out of curiosity is that it usually never really features a character from the series. they look the same, but is it really the same character? i get it, its someones fantasy, but it bothers me on a deeper level that the characters barely resemble their official-canon counterparts in how they would act, or what sort of situation they would put themselves in. i've only actually taken the time to read one of them, which was Re-Take, and it treated the characters pretty faithfully. they still had depth, they still had their general strengths and weaknesses, struggles, insecurities, and so on. most of them i see appear to replace the subject characters' entire personality with one solitary attribute, which is that for some reason they are sex crazed, because the genre demands it. maybe i'm weird for feeling this way, but when i'm browsing some hentai gallery and i scroll past a hentai pic or doujinshi page of Asuka or Rei or Shinji behaving in a way that completely betrays their original character in a really shallow and baseless way, i die inside just a little bit.

what is your opinion on this?

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 1135
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: United States
Gender: Male

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:16 am

I don't think a lot of the Doujinshi is suppose to make sense within the realm of relating to the original series, especially not hentai Doujinshi. More or less it's used as the one thing all hentai is used for.... Catch my drift?


In the sense of characters not acting the way they are suppose to when I got into the series I did recall seeing this one Doji series where Kaji and Asuka are doing the deed, and then Misato and Shinji. I just remember being incredibly just "That's really fucken odd." about the whole thing. (Also to mention that really terribly bad hentai movie that has an orgy in the command deck with Maya absent, anyone here long enough will know what I'm talking about).
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 22648
Joined: Aug 21, 2004

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:18 am

View Original Postlily liver wrote:what is your opinion on this?

I feel much the same way, though IMO the shallow, copy-and-paste aspects you describe extend far beyond doujinshi to pretty much all aspects of fandom self-expression. You see it throughout fan-art and fanfic in general. The issue rather preoccupied my younger self, to the point I made a satirical totem to my displeasure.

SPOILER: Show
Image


Explanation: I'd discovered that Evas without armor skeeved most people out. That base reaction of disgust is useful, since it's pretty much what I might feel when I see the soulless, OOC exploitation of my favorite bunch of fictional characters. In Reichu logic, the natural way to satirize the worst habits of the fans is to do the exact same thing, only replace the object of their desire with one of disgust. Hence, I dabbled in risque images of Evas strutting in swimsuits or in skimpy Santa Claus outfits, which eventually led to the abomination above. One could easily imagine a garage kit of the same scenario, only with Asuka and Rei or something.

Most people don't get it, though, and I suppose I can't blame them. True art is ineffable?

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 1135
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: United States
Gender: Male

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:26 am

Reichu wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Image


Explanation: I'd discovered that Evas without armor skeeved most people out. That base reaction of disgust is useful, since it's pretty much what I might feel when I see the soulless, OOC exploitation of my favorite bunch of fictional characters. In Reichu logic, the natural way to satirize the worst habits of the fans is to do the exact same thing, only replace the object of their desire with one of disgust. Hence, I dabbled in risque images of Evas strutting in swimsuits or in skimpy Santa Claus outfits, which eventually led to the abomination above. One could easily imagine a garage kit of the same scenario, only with Asuka and Rei or something.


Well that's a first for me seeing that.... But your explanation makes a lot of sense so is this where your *apparent* charm comes from?
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

lily liver
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 37
Joined: Mar 07, 2016
Location: ohio
Gender: Male

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby lily liver » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:32 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:that really terribly bad hentai movie that has an orgy in the command deck with Maya absent

i think i actually watched that once. i remember laughing at the cringe, and then feeling disgusted when it was over.

@Reichu
that sculpture is one of the most bizarre things i have ever laid eyes on

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 22648
Joined: Aug 21, 2004

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:40 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:is this where your *apparent* charm comes from?

Could be... If I started drawing naked Evas again, would I be loved once more? :tongue:

View Original Postlily liver wrote:i think i actually watched that once. i remember laughing at the cringe, and then feeling disgusted when it was over.

I think I was disgust overdosed by the time we got to our first cervix-puncturing cross-section. (Was there more than one? I don't want to remember.)

that sculpture is one of the most bizarre things i have ever laid eyes on

Considering how shock-oversaturated the Internet is, I'll take that as a compliment! ^_^

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1405
Joined: Jan 05, 2011
Location: The Ass End of Nowhere (TM)
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby amitakartok » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:27 pm

View Original Postlily liver wrote:most of them i see appear to replace the subject characters' entire personality with one solitary attribute, which is that for some reason they are sex crazed, because the genre demands it. maybe i'm weird for feeling this way, but when i'm browsing some hentai gallery and i scroll past a hentai pic or doujinshi page of Asuka or Rei or Shinji behaving in a way that completely betrays their original character in a really shallow and baseless way, i die inside just a little bit.


Agreed and seconded.

And it's not just a problem with doujins, but lemon fanfics too: most authors seem to write their lemon fics as if they were marking kinks/fetishes off a checklist, blindly emulating plotless porn movies without a concern for anything else. I'm proud to say I'm not one of them, but I'm just one author in a community of thousands.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Chapter 32 now up.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Glor
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 336
Joined: May 17, 2014
Location: United States

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Glor » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:56 pm

I don't read doujin for the story.
Sicarius VI wrote:Also to mention that really terribly bad hentai movie that has an orgy in the command deck with Maya absent.


A great classic.

Sicarius VI wrote:I don't think a lot of the Doujinshi is suppose to make sense within the realm of relating to the original series, especially not hentai Doujinshi. More or less it's used as the one thing all hentai is used for...


Quoted for truth.
Rite of Reclamation - an Evangelion/Halo fusion, check it out, is pretty neat.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 20, 2014
Gender: Female

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:13 pm

Hentai isnt really meant to make sense, I mean anyone remember this gem?:
SPOILER: Show
Image

Yeah that's just hentai logic in a nutshell there.

That being said that's why I dont find Eva porn enjoyable in the slightest, I mean OTHER than me not really being attracted to anyone in the show besides maybe Asuka if the picture is very well drawn.
Its just, if the character isnt going to act in character what's the point?
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1405
Joined: Jan 05, 2011
Location: The Ass End of Nowhere (TM)
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby amitakartok » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:31 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Its just, if the character isnt going to act in character what's the point?


Seconding this too. They should just write original stories.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Chapter 32 now up.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 1405
Joined: Jun 08, 2007
Location: In Glorious Technicolor
Gender: Male

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby cyharding » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:59 pm

Everyone's views here raises a particular question for me. Why do some people desire to see the Eva characters in sexual activities in the first place, whether it's in doujinshi or in lemon fanfics? Is it because they desire to see something that wasn't shown in the anime or is it just for their own sexual gratification? That is something I don't get.

lily liver
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 37
Joined: Mar 07, 2016
Location: ohio
Gender: Male

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby lily liver » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:13 pm

i suspect that a lot of this stuff is produced by people who either flat out don't care about eva, and are only attracted to the characters by looks alone. why would they care about any of this if that's the case?
the second option are people who may like the show, but don't have any special emotional investment in it. again, why would they care?

there are plenty of characters i've seen who i don't care about beyond the fact that they look hot.

lily liver
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 37
Joined: Mar 07, 2016
Location: ohio
Gender: Male

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby lily liver » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:27 pm

cryharding^ they/we are just attracted to the character for various reasons, like being attracted to the way they look. in the case of something having an actual plot, like re-take, its because of a legit emotional investment in the characters' life, which i guess you could call "emotional porn" or "romantic porn" if you want.
when i read re-take, i actually didn't feel much arousal despite the fact that it is explicit, i just read it front to back like any other manga, and being able to see two characters who i care about in a very intimate situation which for once, wasn't treated like a cheap throwaway thing, it provided another dimension of emotional depth to the story that you don't see very often.

Glor
Ramiel
Ramiel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 336
Joined: May 17, 2014
Location: United States

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Glor » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:45 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Everyone's views here raises a particular question for me. Why do some people desire to see the Eva characters in sexual activities in the first place, whether it's in doujinshi or in lemon fanfics?

Bustin' makes me feel good
Rite of Reclamation - an Evangelion/Halo fusion, check it out, is pretty neat.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

CarlosIXA
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 10
Joined: Mar 06, 2016
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CarlosIXA » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:13 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Image




Oh my gawd. I had the Rich Evans laugh while seeing that abomination. Truly one of the strangest things I've ever laid eyes on. By the way, explanation doesn't help it look any less ridiculous.

With that out of my system, Eva hentai. I don't really much care to critique most Doujinshi releases of Eva, especially ones where the characters straddle and, well, have their way with each other like a bunch of horny teenagers (then again, most of the subjects of these books are teenagers...), mostly because I see no point in asking for consistency from artists and/or writers when the reason for making what they made was they wanted to create spank material.

Honestly, the only hentai that'd actually work on a conceptual level would be one revolving around that session between Kaji and Misato during their college days (you all know that one : ) ).
Evolved Genesis Arvongelion - go here

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 22648
Joined: Aug 21, 2004

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:46 pm

View Original PostCarlosIXA wrote:By the way, explanation doesn't help it look any less ridiculous.

It's not supposed to. Looking ridiculous was kind of the point.

CarlosIXA
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 10
Joined: Mar 06, 2016
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby CarlosIXA » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:49 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It's not supposed to. Looking ridiculous was kind of the point.

Yeah, I realize that much. =p Personally, if you were able to recreate that and if I had the money, I'd buy one just to have it on display in the living room. Have any visitor that comes in see that it's there and just stare at it in sheer confusion and horror. =p

It'll be great.
Evolved Genesis Arvongelion - go here

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 1135
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: United States
Gender: Male

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:15 pm

I feel like if Asuka, Rei and Shinji(less Rei) where in High School it would make a difference and some hentai content may have appeared in the show. Not to mention it would've changed a lot of character interaction too, but that is for a different thread that has most likely been created.

Like
CarlosIXA wrote:
Oh my gawd.
With that out of my system, Eva hentai. I don't really much care to critique most Doujinshi releases of Eva, especially ones where the characters straddle and, well, have their way with each other like a bunch of horny teenagers (then again, most of the subjects of these books are teenagers...), mostly because I see no point in asking for consistency from artists and/or writers when the reason for making what they made was they wanted to create spank material.


Quoted for truth. Also even in the show they make it a point to say Kaji and Misato go through a typical college life with all the banging they did.

Like I'm about to be a Senior in HS pretty soon and I look back and see 8th grade a being way to early to do any of that stuff, and freshman year, but it seems more likely(and appropriate) to happen within the last 3 years of High School than anything.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 22648
Joined: Aug 21, 2004

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:49 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Also even in the show they make it a point to say Kaji and Misato go through a typical college life with all the banging they did.

They holed up in Misato's apartment for a week straight, Misato blew off both academic and social obligations, and Kaji was basically humoring her by the end of it ("Again?"). Is that "typical"?

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 1135
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: United States
Gender: Male

Re: the problem with eva hentai doujinshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:57 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:They holed up in Misato's apartment for a week straight, Misato blew off both academic and social obligations, and Kaji was basically humoring her by the end of it ("Again?"). Is that "typical"?



Well I think we've all heard of those three things happening during college, but not all at the same time. :lol:
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel


Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests