How many tons did Sahaquiel weight?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:31 pm

My educated guess is 2.5 million tons

I assume the main body section of the creature is an ellipsoid, the longest axis is about 440m the shorter axis is about 220m and i would guesstimate the thickness to be 40 meters.
That gives us a volume of V=4/3*pi*440/2*220/2*40/2 = 2027374 m³
Its hard to estimate the weight of its wings, but in the original series they appear rather thin so lets say its total body volume is 2500000 m³

Ok an angel is a biological creature, so its density is roughly that of water 1000 kg/m³ so 1 Ton per cubic meter.
Hence the angel would weight 2.5 million tons.

great thats about the mass of a asteroid with a diameter of about 125 meters assuming its a Sphere with a density of 2600 kg/m3

Now the impact energy equal to about about 30 mega tons TNT, assuming a impact velocity of 17 km/s

Well that is much much more that it looked in the series, on the other hand the impact velocity did not even came close to 17km/s so well...

Anyhow whats your opinion and / or mass estimation for that creature?
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: How many tons did Sahaquiel weight?

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Um.........why exactly do you wish to know this?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:07 pm

That is actually one of the more unconvincing scenarios in the series to my mind. If the angel hitting the ground would vaporise it, what difference, honestly, would having an Eva with a bubble of AT field in the way make. The energy would still be transferred, and the end result would be the same. So the only way to watch and accept that scene is to turn off your (physical) critical facilities and just go with the flow.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:56 pm

Perhaps it's not the weight that matters, but the AT Field. That would explain why the Evangelions stood any chance of stopping the Angel at all. They do describe the Angel as uniquely using its own AT Field as a bomb of sorts.

So basically, AT Field magic.

EDIT: also, Angels are made of Particle Wave Matter, which might affect their mass in some weird unknown way.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:18 pm

The general premise behind god-grade ATFs is that they say "lol" to physics, so being able to cancel out Sahaquiel's kinetic energy seems par for the course.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:48 pm

This may surprise you, but the answer to this question is "zero"! "Sahaquiel" is a fictional character from the Japanese animation ("Japanimation") series Neon Genesis Evangelion, created by a man named Hideaki Anno and
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:15 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:This may surprise you, but the answer to this question is "zero"! "Sahaquiel" is a fictional character from the Japanese animation ("Japanimation") series Neon Genesis Evangelion, created by a man named Hideaki Anno and

...generally understood by the audience to have mass within the fictional universe it inhabits?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:33 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Um.........why exactly do you wish to know this?

cause I don't what to write any obvious BS in my fanfic,
knowing the threat to deal with i can invent some at least remotly plausile solution.
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:46 am

Watching the NGE remake 2.22 I noticed that they stayted the altitude of the creature when the eva's begone their run.
Assuming the sceens are in real time, the creature would be only 20 m/s fast that is extremely sloooow for something that large falling from orbit.
Also i noticed that unit 01's power countdown is somewhat consistent with the timing of the sceens (well 4 min instead of 5), units 02 is far to fast after 3 minutes it shows only 30 sec left.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:43 am

Sahaquiel is propelling itself with its AT Field, so the rate of descent probably doesn't match its weight.

Honestly, Sahaquiel is so huge and alien that any sufficiently large number you want to make up will at least sound plausible. We don't know what its made of or if it even has bones. It's powerful enough to destroy everything in a several kilometer radius and the Geofront, but when it dies, it lands on the Evas and the surrounding hillside without even kicking up a dirt cloud. I say just go with a number that sounds reasonable to you!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”