Misato and Shinji relationship

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

Misato and Shinji relationship

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:27 pm

So I was watching Misato's death cause I was bored. And I started thinking about Misato and Shinji. And I had a thought.
Is it healthy for a woman with an Electra complex to date a man with a Oedipus complex when the two remind each other of the others parent? So like I'm saying part of Shinji's attraction towards Misato was because he wanted a mommy and part of Misato's attraction to Shinji was because he reminded her of her father. Basically I'm asking if this kind of relationship is healthy. Like I don't know shit about psychology so I was just curious. Like if Shinji had been a man instead a kid would they have worked and would it have been healthy?
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Misato and Shinji relationship

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:41 am

IIRC Misato felt that Kaji was much more similar to her late father than Shinji. Doesn't she outright state that this was the reason she eventually broke up with him back when they were all hot 'n heavy during their college years? She resented how her father was so dedicated to his research/career that he practically abandoned Misato and her mother.

To a certain extent, Shinji does seem to take on somewhat of a parental role in his shared domestic living situation with Misato, as he cooks and cleans for her and generally behaves in a more mature manner whenever they're outside of NERV. However, technically Misato is still his guardian, as well as his commanding officer, and she never seems to hesitate to pull rank on him by reminding him of this if she feels he is not putting forth enough effort at school or following orders to her satisfaction while piloting Unit-01.

While Misato does appear to have an Electra complex as demonstrated by conflicting residual emotions she harbors toward her late father, 2nd Impact survivor's guilt, her vendetta against the angels, and motivations behind her former relationship with Kaji, I thought her occasional flirtations with and latent/subconscious attraction to Shinji might be classified more along the lines of Shota.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:02 am

Misato's stated reason for being attracted to Kaji doesn't negate the possibility of her being attracted to Shinji for similar reasons -- that is, wanting a father she can fuck.

It's interesting to note that Misato says her father was called "sensitive" by his friends, she compares him to a child, and he apparently had a tendency to run away from his problems rather than confront them. Honestly sounds more like Shinji than what we know of Kaji.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:59 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Misato's stated reason for being attracted to Kaji doesn't negate the possibility of her being attracted to Shinji for similar reasons -- that is, wanting a father she can fuck.

True, but I would argue that the nature of her attraction/connection to Kaji seems (at least to me) very different from her interaction with Shinji and, despite ample opportunities with both individuals, the relationship with Kaji was only one that was ever actually consummated.

It's interesting to note that Misato says her father was called "sensitive" by his friends, she compares him to a child, and he apparently had a tendency to run away from his problems rather than confront them. Honestly sounds more like Shinji than what we know of Kaji.

I thought Misato's biggest criticism of her father was that he often allowed his work to take priority over his personal life, frequently taking him far away from both his wife and daughter.

I guess if one takes into account Dr. Katsuragi's own life choices, and how they ultimately led to his premature demise, thereby robbing fourteen year-old Misato of badly needed emotional support during one of the roughest times in her life, you could draw some serious parallels to her later involvement with Kaji and the way his fate will eventually repeat the cycle.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:14 am

True, but I would argue that the nature of her attraction/connection to Kaji seems (at least to me) very different from her interaction with Shinji and, despite ample opportunities with both individuals, the relationship with Kaji was only one that was ever actually consummated.

Yeah but that's only true because Shinji was being Shinji so it wasn't for lack of trying on Misato's part...I think. Also in that scene I was watching Misato spends pretty much all of it trying to tell Shinji to make his own decisions and to not lie to himself. In light of that it kinda makes sense she decided to kiss him since she was being honest about their relationship and doing what she wanted, so, that makes me question how much her offer to bone afterwards is a joke/ sarcasm since she knew she was dying. Like I think she was serious and Kaji wasn't around anymore...so why not.
hmmm

FriedlCore
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FriedlCore » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:19 pm

View Original Postzlink64 wrote:Yeah but that's only true because Shinji was being Shinji so it wasn't for lack of trying on Misato's part...I think. Also in that scene I was watching Misato spends pretty much all of it trying to tell Shinji to make his own decisions and to not lie to himself. In light of that it kinda makes sense she decided to kiss him since she was being honest about their relationship and doing what she wanted, so, that makes me question how much her offer to bone afterwards is a joke/ sarcasm since she knew she was dying. Like I think she was serious and Kaji wasn't around anymore...so why not.

Sometimes a chair is just a chair.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:04 pm

View Original PostFriedlCore wrote:Sometimes a chair is just a chair.

But sometimes it's a penis.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:09 pm

Who else admits to giggling at that link
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Made me laugh out loud i dunno why(maybe the writing) you'd think people would used to it by now.
hmmm

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”