Windows Holographic and Hololens

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Windows Holographic and Hololens

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:40 pm

What is Windows Holographic:I is a "mixed reality" computing platform that allows applications in which the live presentation of physical real-world elements is incorporated with that of virtual elements such that they are perceived to exist together in a shared environment. In order to experience this ''mixed reality'' Microsoft introduced a device called Microsoft HoloLens. Basically, it's a cordless smart glasses headset with an HD stereoscopic 3D optical head-mounted display, spatial sound to allow for augmented reality applications and an interface that you can interact with through gaze, voice and hand gestures. It may sound like a mix between Kinect and VR but it is a little different. At last year's E3, Microsoft had a live demo using Minecraft as a tech demo. It's pretty amazing actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgakdcEzVwg (jump to 2:32)

Many thought that this tech was just smoke and mirrors, similar to the Project Milo that Microsoft showed some years ago but one person from Engadget actually tried it and turns out it is real but it wasn't the same E3 demo and it didn't worked exactly the same (not so responsive). Still, he was very impressed with it.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/08/minecraft-hololens-minecon/

I must say that the Minecraft demo really impressed me, totally a system seller for me but i think just like VR this kind of technology is in very early stages so we must wait some years before we can have the ''full experience''.

But if you can't wait until then and want to try it out right now, you can pre-order the development edition which ships March 30th for 3.000$
https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/development-edition
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Windows Holographic and Hololens

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:53 pm

A little-known fact is that the most effective way of handling sound for movement and head-tracking in three dimensions is a technology called Ambisonics, which was invented by a late friend of mine in the 1970s. Ambisonics toolkits are increasingly being used by games developers. (I use Ambisonics myself for live recording of music, which enables a fully immersive playback - indeed, some of my recordings have been used as demos of the technique at shows and conferences).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”