End of Evangelion Blu-Ray with English Audio

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

M0arDakka
Embryo

End of Evangelion Blu-Ray with English Audio

•      
  •      

Postby M0arDakka » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:14 am

Wow, it's been longer than I can easily recall since I last showed up here. A lot has changed for me, but in spite of all that I still feel drawn to the franchise y'all here know and love. Recently a friend of mine wanted to get into NGE, so he's got the series, DC edits and all ready to watch. He prefers watching a lot of his anime in English, and for the series, that all works out OK, seeing as the Renewal release looks just fine. However, I feel that End of Evangelion looks much better in the recent HD release, but currently there's no R1 release, so no options for English audio. So I took it upon myself to take the audio track from the DVD and match it to the BD video. Sounds simple enough, but in practice it was quite the effort. I'll talk more about this if someone wants to know,but for now, I'm open to discussion about predictions for the R1 release of the original series and feature films. If that's a topic for another section, I'll move there accordingly.
Radical Neo-Facist Pro-Bioengineering Existentialist Liberal Realist... sort of.

" We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."

"...the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts..."

- both George Orwell

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: End of Evangelion Blu-Ray with English Audio

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:53 am

Regarding the R1 release..... nobody can say anything for sure. I don't think they will release it this year though. Maybe next year or in 2018. The 3.33 dubbing story made me really pessimistic about the whole subject. What i want for the english release is the option of jap dub and eng subs.

Btw, can you write more about the procedure of ripping the BD and matching it with the audio track from DVD. As you said, it sounds simple (note that i don't ave the slightest idea about these things) but what problems did you exactly had during the procedure?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:14 am

You can rip using any program that (for preference) will output in Matroska (.mkv) format; I use Handbrake myself. You can adjust the parameters of your re-encoding to suit your viewing devices and quality preferences.

Do the same for the DVDs with the dub on.

Then use MKVToolNix to merge the two versions of the same episode or film, selecting to keep only the versions of video, audio, and subtitles that you want (I generally keep both languages, and make the dub default and the subtitles not default - but obviously you can choose the opposite).

Play the resulting file in VLC; you may well find the audio in not in sync (especially for films, which may have difference studios' logos at the start). You can adjust the timing of the audio in VLC on the fly (tools menu, track synchronisation); I expect you can do the same in other players. When you've got it right, note the offset you've ended up with, go back to MKVToolNix and set the offset for the audio in the field provided and redo the muxing.

Usually that's enough, at least for series episodes - but don't assume the offset will be the same for all episodes! Also, sometimes the offset is different at the start and the end, either because the video frame rate of the two versions is slightly different, or because the two parts of an episode or film have been edited together differently. In that case it's necessary to extract the audio and change its length, either continuously or by an edit at the appropriate place in an audio editor - I use a professional editor (WaveLab), as that lives on my desktop, but the free Audacity can do a good job.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shark Knight
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shark Knight » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:24 am

If they ever release EOE on english blu rays, then I just really hope that they rework the subtitles - dont really care about the dub but I do know it was awful and not loyal to the real deal at all. That's why the director "Rei's VA" was not hired for the rebuilds.
I just want to have the movie on blu ray for my collection and being able to watch it on my tv with invited friends, cousints etc...
Same with the tv series tought.

Everything would be easier if Japan subbed their blu rays tought.
Let None Find Us Wanting

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:42 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You can rip using any program that (for preference) will output in Matroska (.mkv) format; I use Handbrake myself. You can adjust the parameters of your re-encoding to suit your viewing devices and quality preferences.

Handbrake currently has issues with dealing with correct color primaries (Rec 709), unless you force the parameters in the command line, the colors will look slightly off, a proper high quality rip would need to be done with Avisynth.
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999
-----------------------------------------------------

conradconradcon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby conradconradcon » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:53 am

View Original PostM0arDakka wrote:Wow, it's been longer than I can easily recall since I last showed up here. A lot has changed for me, but in spite of all that I still feel drawn to the franchise y'all here know and love. Recently a friend of mine wanted to get into NGE, so he's got the series, DC edits and all ready to watch. He prefers watching a lot of his anime in English, and for the series, that all works out OK, seeing as the Renewal release looks just fine. However, I feel that End of Evangelion looks much better in the recent HD release, but currently there's no R1 release, so no options for English audio. So I took it upon myself to take the audio track from the DVD and match it to the BD video. Sounds simple enough, but in practice it was quite the effort. I'll talk more about this if someone wants to know,but for now, I'm open to discussion about predictions for the R1 release of the original series and feature films. If that's a topic for another section, I'll move there accordingly.

Hi I've been struggling to find a English Blu-Ray of End of Evangelion, I noticed you made a thread a couple years ago and I was wondering if you please help me out. I started and finished the series within the last two weeks and would love to watch the final. If you still have your blu-ray rip that would be cool if you could please send it to me.

Return to “Fan Works”