Do people still hate Evangelion 3.33?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Do people still hate Evangelion 3.33?

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:07 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:you're really reaching here - the more closely you look at it the less likely it becomes.

Depends on what you are looking at PW, it's not as simple as a sequel, it's that but it's more. It's more complicated with more admissions than expected from a creator. It's complex yet really simple.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:44 pm

I don't appreciate your habit, Chaddy, of talking about your ideas as if they were the hidden reality that only you seem to have access to. There's all sorts of language you could be using to frame them as what they are: "my own fancies, for the rest of you to consider". You don't even bother with acting minimally apologetic about constantly injecting these whims into discussions where they don't really belong, despite surely knowing you're dangling bait. If you want people to pay attention to you, please do it in a more productive fashion.

If Chaddy can't control himself, can the rest of you at least make an effort to not feed him? Let's get the thread back on track, eh?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Well, I only have myself to really talk about it, no one else seems really interested in the Concepts. It seems as if everyone thinks that the sequel idea, is a basic one, with no complexity whatsoever. It's not about attention, it's about starting a conversation about something that many people find taboo. About heading these conversations into new territory, I'm not talking the sequel idea, I'm talking about the implication love the new series compared to the old, or what we've been told over what we're now been told.

And yes, I am sorry if I cannot apologize about something I'm interested in.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:16 pm

Here's a thought: Start a thread, or bump an older one about what interests you. Instead of offering one or two cryptic sentences with little to no context or explanation, actually explain your ideas in a way that people who AREN'T inside your head can follow. If an earnest, appropriately located effort doesn't get people interested in a dialogue, then I don't know what to tell you.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:51 pm

Sounds good good miss.

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:07 pm

I do. Bad direction, bad characters, lazy events. There's no subtlety anymore. I'm not a big fan of 1.0 and 2.22, mostly because they are a simplification of the episodes 1-19, but they do things OK, for the most part.

3.33, on the other hand, is stupid trash. Where do I begin with? Well, first of all, I'm not comparing it to NGE. Why should I do it? They don't have to do anything with each other. And no, I don't know if the Rebuilds are a sequel, a reboot, or what. And I don't care.

They skip 14 years. OK. What's the point of skipping 14 years? I tell you. It's done with the purpose of construct a setting you don't know, so that the writer could justify a series of events we don't know anything about. It's just a cheap plot device which creates unnecessary plot holes and random things. The curse of the EVA? Lol are you serious? OK, whatever. 14 years have passed, let's face it.

The characters. OMG. They have killed the characters, you bastards!! Instead, they are replaced by some Macross Delta pilots who don't feel, don't think and don't do anything but pilot the EVA. The rest of the cast is basically dead on the inside. Hell, what happened in those 14 years? Some mental virus? But no, Ritsuko is more or less the same as always, in contrast with Misato, who is... angry? I don't know. We don't know why she doesn't care anymore about anything(possibly is Anno who doesn't care). I could go on and on about the characters. But let's talk about Rei and Asuka. :facepalm:

Asuka. That is Asuka?? That?! Where is his connection with Shinji?? Where is her strong personality? In the previous films she was different from NGE, but OK, she is more antisocial and that, but the character still gives a care. Here, Asuka is a joke. She pilots the EVA, she crashes the glass in a pathetic attempt to look worried/mad about Shinji and that's it! Bland, bland bland.

Rei. Well there's no Rei, like at all. Now she is a doll. But a doll done wrong, a wooden doll. And she is useless, to the story and the characters. She is nothing.

The script is laughable, and bad structured. The first 20 minutes are the worst. It's all giving orders. Orders we don't understand, because we haven't been introduced to the problem properly. After that, well... You know, Shinji and Kaworu make their stuff (lol, didn't we love that in the series). But, to his credit, it's the best thing of the movie. That is the Kaworu I wanted! Shinji... well, is the usual Shinji, is apart from Kaworu, the only decent character.

The Impact thing. OK. I'm not comparing this to EoE, but look at the movies and tell me what's the difference. No, I'm not talking about the plot, but the visuals. In EoE, you know what's going on is important, you feel the despair of the characters, even if you don't know what's going on you feel the thing, because each thing you see had an impact, and the frame was clean. Here, it's a joke. The frame is saturated, there a lot of things going on at the same time and too quickly, the only thing that has an impact is Kaworu dying, but there's no subtlety. Besides, the cheap CGI doesn't help. Even 2.22 got the Near-Impact right!

And don't make me talk about the ending. Unintentionally funny! The three main characters are gathered together, just because. First of all, by this point, they don't give a fck about each other. Asuka and Shinji nothing, Shinji hates Rei, Rei is horribly characterised... Second it's soo clearly a plot device so that the final movie begins with the three main characters.

I could go on and on and on and on, but this is already too
long...
Last edited by TheCarkolum on Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:32 am

@ TheCarkolum

Ofcourse you are entitled to your own opinion, but most of the stuff you list is plainly wrong.
You bash a lot without actually explaining why. Just bashing it "this dumb, that is a joke, this is pathetic, etc" doesn't really help anyone so I'm wondering why you wrote it in the first place. Just to rant? Its not very constructive.

To me it just look like you didn't get it at all, that ok, lots of people don't get Eva. Im thinking it's just not for you. (I can't really imagine you "got" NGE either).

Or if you really were trying to contribute, try to be more constructive than this.

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:31 am

Zoop wrote:You bash a lot without actually explaining why. Just bashing it "this dumb, that is a joke, this is pathetic, etc"

Are you serious? The only time I use the word "joke" is to describe the characterization of Asuka(and man, didn't I explain why? :irked: ) and to talk about when the Impact occurs, and I have justified it by talking of the visual direction (too saturated, too fast and too innocuous).

Zoop wrote:To me it just look like you didn't get it at all, that ok, lots of people don't get Eva. Im thinking it's just not for you.

Yes, you're actually recurring to that. People who think Evangelion as a flawless piece has always the same argument, the "you didn't get it" argument, followed by the "it's not for everyone" BS. Even you are assuming that I don't get NGE (you didn't see any of my posts clearly) and yeah, that's a joke indeed.

Zoop wrote:Or if you really were trying to contribute, try to be more constructive than this.

Yeah, because criticizing something is not being constructive. That's an awful cliche. I actually said some good things about the Rebuilds, and even about 3.33. I was not completely destructive, but if this is technically a bad movie (according to my criteria) what do you expect?

Please, don't make me lose my time with such arguments...
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:02 am

View Original PostTheCarkolum wrote:That is the Kaworu I wanted!

The one which is pretty clearly being deceitful, even if not outright lying? Well, he's a good character for this film, I agree.

The three main characters are gathered together, just because. First of all, by this
point, they don't give a fck about each other.

How about acknowledging that they are made to come together precisely to show us that there are still some relationships that can be salvaged?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 am

Eva isn't by far perfect, it has enough faults. But if all you comment is "its pathetic/dumb/a joke" then chances are, you simply didn't get it at all. If you did, you would be able to tell us why exactly you think that and you wouldn't use such ambigious words either.

I'm by no means a mindless fanboy. I love to read constructive critisism, i've got enough of my own.
But what you are doing is just bashing/flaming. There isn't a single debatable point.

You make it sound like it's a fact that the movie is technically bad (according to what criteria?). Thats just your opinion dude, maybe back that up with some actual points of critisism if you want anyone to take you seriously at all.

I don't know you, nor your previous posts, judging by the way you reply here it's easy to see why.
I'm just commenting on your reply here, nothing else.

(edit: a quick search through your history shows that this was your first post in the rebuild forum, so now you are blatantly lying too, or did you mean you said some nice things about 3.33 in this post? you might want to point that out, because all i see is "3.33, on the other hand, is stupid trash.").

You are the one wasting others time with a bashpost with no substance at all. I found it worth noting (not my intention to attack you personally or anything), this is just useless. If you got nothing to add, you can leave it at this.

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 am

Zoop wrote:if all you comment is "its pathetic/dumb/a joke" then chances are, you simply didn't get it at all

Zoop wrote:But what you are doing is just bashing/flaming. There isn't a single debatable point

WOW man. Either my English is really bad or you are in serious denial. First, stop lying (or lying to yourself). I never used the word "dumb", and you keep repeating that, like a mantra. The joke thing is used TWICE, but you keep saying that as it was repeated all the time, which is bullshit. And it is justified, I've already told you so. So why you are doing this? Second, what do you mean by bashing/flaming? OK, maybe saying that is "stupid trash" was a little too strong, but why do I have to use nice words?Do I have to please you? Flaming implies not giving arguments man...

Besides, NO DEBATABLE POINT? What are you talking about? Characters and their interactions are not debatable points? The narrative visuals are not debatable points? Plot devices are not debatable points? The pacing and script issues are not debatable points? Talking about the setting and its issues are not debatable points? The ending is not a debatable point? Because I talked about them in my post (not in depth, just some highlights). Did you even read the post?

Zoop wrote:a quick search through your history shows that this was your first post in the rebuild forum, so now you are blatantly lying too, or did you mean you said some nice things about 3.33 in this post? you might want to point that out, because all i see is "3.33, on the other hand, is stupid trash.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: See? That's clearly the proof you didn't read what I'm saying, or at least, you didn't pay attention. How did you even do it? You've searched the bad words on my post and thrown the rest to the garbage? Didn't I say that Kaworu is a passable character? Didn't I say that Shinji and Kaworu are good characters?

TheCarkolum wrote: But, to his credit, it's the best thing of the movie. That is the Kaworu I wanted! Shinji... well, is the usual Shinji, is apart from Kaworu, the only decent character.

Zoop wrote:Thats just your opinion dude

Well, ¡Congrats! You've just hit the entire combo. 1. you didn't get it. 2. it's not for everyone 3.Thats just your opinion dude. You've earned a "counterpoint"!
I guess the opinion that Nickelback > Pink Floyd has the same validity that the opposite one :D :D :D

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Tone it down, guys. No need for hostility.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Well, it appears as though someone's concept of Eva went tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...

TheCarkolum, allow me to ask, do you think the issues with NTE is structural (the order in which scenes take place) or momentary (what happens within each scene or in multiple scenes)? Are these issues integral to story (characters' personal growth and development) or plot (characters' stated missions and goals)?

Hopefully we can iron out these complaints in a way that might highlighting objectively weak points in storytelling, rather than focusing on subjective criticisms of what you wanted your entertainment to do for you instead.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:04 am

@TheCarkolum

If you just call something "good" without explanation, or "dumb" without explanation ... then those are non-debatable points.
You didn't come here to discuss your opinion / ideas.
You just came to tell us what your opinion is, even though it means nothing to any of us if you got nothing to back it up.
No need to take it so personally, I'm just pointing out your mistakes, learn from it.

Like Sachi said, keep it down, keep it civil.
This will be the last I'll say about this.

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:14 am

I was enjoying the Rebuild films and their familiar-yet-different stories.

Then 3.33 comes along and changes everything.

If I wanted the storyline of NGE, I would watch it. RboE's new story fascinates me, and I'm looking forward to it's conclusion.

And while I wait, at least I know that I'm waiting because Hideaki Anno had to take some time to make the best Godzilla film since 1954.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:20 pm

That People are upset about 3.0 isn't any different as with EoTV and EoE. It has to be considered, that 3.0 despite being called Q in the Japanese title, is supposed to be the first half of Q while the rest 'll be shown in 3.0+1.0/FINAL and so Rebuild ends and the Jo-Ha-Kyu structure is complete, hence why 3.0+1.0 isn't called 4.0 and in the Japanese title is called : || instead of anything else.

To 3.0 itself, it's obvious that it is the way it is otherwise Rebuild would be just another coventional Anime and Eva is never conventional and Rebuild still shows that. 3.0 made Anno depressed again, because he wasn't sure how the story continiues in 3.0+1.0 because of what happened in 3.0. And now that 3.0+1.0 is in production, it must be released in the near future and that Anno doesn't get depressed again, then we 'll be all done with Eva for good. And I think that 3.0+1.0 'll be viewed the same way as 3.0, EoTV and EoE.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:06 am

I kinda thought it was a pretty good film, except where Shinji is treated like shit the entire time, especially by his so called 'friends'.

During the film, I feel like this towards Misato and Asuka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpi-dqDaUMw

Seriously, these two where complete bitches to him.

I think someone should either beat the living the living crap out of them, or find some way to off them. And it should be done by Shinji's hand, considering what they did to him.

:headbeat:
:chainsaw:
:shoot2kill:
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:40 am

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:27 am

I would never normally say this but please just calm down....listen to some relaxing music--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZYbU82GVz4

I totally get your frustration and annoyance with 3.33 as I had it with EOE and it really feels like you just had the rug pulled out from under your feet in a really brutal way, so anger is only natural. I would though recommend channelling this anger positively and putting it in to creative pursuits like fan art or fan fiction and turn the ending you hated in to a better one.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:31 pm

Q is much more gentle on Shinji and the viewer than EoE is, it pulls him in a much worse position after Kaworu's death but the ending has a melancholic but overall extremely positive tone. EoE is not so gentle.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”