Do people still hate Evangelion 3.33?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Do people still hate Evangelion 3.33?

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:15 am

Now that I have them all on smooth, creamy Blu-Ray disc I rewatched all the Rebuilds with some bros the other weekend and they were somewhat better than I remembered. 3.33 might actually be the best. Sure the plot is cataclysmically incoherent (at least partly on purpose), but it takes Eva back to an uneasy tone and level of visual storytelling that it hasn't seen since the original series. There are so many rich images that deserve to stand in tall in the Eva canon, dispensed at such a rapid-fire pace that it's almost hard to sit back and appreciate them without practically freeze-framing. Whereas the two preceding films drew from the well of familiar and well-trodden imagery from the original series - either with straight-up reproductions or subversive variants - this one finally stakes a claim on uncharted territory, and succeeds pretty damn well mostly thanks to what Mahiro Maeda brings to the table. His heavily stylized approach - often to the point of surreal abstraction - is the perfect match for Eva to the extent that I regret he wasn't involved in 1 and 2. The fact that 3.0 managed to make the Internet platinum mad by upending their expectations (contrary to, say, 2.0's willingness to pander to them) is also an encouraging sign in and of itself that Anno & co. haven't lost their capacity to engage in a provocative dialogue with their odd semi-niche audience... although only time and future movies will tell if Anno's master plan for these things becomes apparent by the end.

Anyway. Discuss.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Do people still hate that last movie

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:31 am

3.33 is the best. You sum up most of my thoughts very nicely.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:06 am

I'd rather watch Magmadiver.

Signer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Signer » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:47 am

Timeskip, evil Misato and Shinji's face when he pulled the spears were fun. Gendo's "it's ok for now" at the end was the best. But I still hate Q for Kaworu's monologue, because it sounds so much like "But I will remain in your heart!".
Where is the center of the multiverse?
I'm the center of the multiverse.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:50 am

The Wunder takeoff at the beginning pleases my inner Yamato/Harlock fan so much that it makes it nigh-impossible for me to dislike the film
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:19 am

I've always loved 3.0 because it had the stones to finally cut NGE's apron strings and go in its own direction.

There's still plenty of hate for it across the internet. I was just reading a thread on /a/ that was post after post of salty people denouncing it as "worthless pandering" and "an utter, irredeemable trainwreck of a project" that proves Anno is a hack and NGE was a fluke.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:19 am

I thought it was grand, and the extent to which people get worked up about it even grander. Well played, Anno. Well played.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:17 pm

I don't hate it but I don't think they moves are very good; they are ok and the animation is very cool. Like I find that the main reason I watch it is because it's called Evangelion. If the original show didn't exist I don't think I'd care much for these movies, especially after part 3. Part 3 was just all over the place and I don't think 15 year old me would have found rebuild any where near as relatable as the original. And yeah I think the ending will ultimately decide my final opinion but the movies should be good on their own too. So I'm not passionate about it but I do think it's kinda dumb sometimes. I'm happy that they are trying to be different though. I can appreciate that at least.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:55 pm

I'm totally the wrong person to post in this thread, since I loved the third film from the start. I always found 2.0's ending provocative in the troubling sort of way... so it was nothing less than pure relief -- joy, even! -- to see Anno return with his usual anti-escapism stance.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:21 pm

That actually makes me wonder. Was this anti-escapism stance planned from the beginning, or was Anno just having as much fun with Ha as he could, only to change his mind towards his approach afterwards?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:36 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:That actually makes me wonder. Was this anti-escapism stance planned from the beginning, or was Anno just having as much fun with Ha as he could, only to change his mind towards his approach afterwards?

From the start, the film series was planned to be mostly a series retread, just with a different ending. Anno also expressed, from the beginning, his hopes of shaking up the anime industry once more. It's likely that he had an angle in mind he wished to tackle, even if originally it would have mainly featured in the unique ending rather than completing altering the story's trajectory.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:48 pm

While I'm not a fan of the Rebuild series as a whole (I'm more partial towards the original) nor am I really favorable of the direction that 3.33 went, I still appreciate the balls that Anno took to shatter our expectations like that. While I am a fan of happier outcomes, I will acknowledge that this was an unexpected direction and took a lot of guts to pull.

As for the rest of the series, it's ultimately up to Final for me to decide what I'll think of Rebuild as a whole. So far, I'm not much of a fan of it, especially 3.33 at the moment, but that may change, who knows?
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:59 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm totally the wrong person to post in this thread, since I loved the third film from the start. I always found 2.0's ending provocative in the troubling sort of way... so it was nothing less than pure relief -- joy, even! -- to see Anno return with his usual anti-escapism stance.

Same.

And while I can't say with certainty how planned out the twist in Q was, the way the first two films set it up was really impressive. Start with the same foundation as the original (1.0), continue from there with emphasis on pandering to the fans to bait and capture a bigger audience (2.0), and completely subvert expectations by pulling the rug out from beneath everybody's feet to hammer in some of the core messages of Eva that never changed since NGE (3.0). Now all that is left to be done is for the circle to be completed in a grand and final cadence that ties everything together (4.0).

I really can't wait to marathon the completed series in one sitting. It shall be glorious.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:27 pm

I've really enjoyed the Rebuild series from day one, but 3.0 gave me complete confidence that this series is going to be something special & worth remembering. The first two movies are great for what they are yet they left me worried that once finished, Rebuild as a series would be nothing more then a fun lark made up of NGE's greatest hits. Before it's release, my expectations for 3.0 & Final were that we were going to be more of what we got out 2.0, traditional fun action-adventure films with a likeable cast, and I would have been okay with that. I don't think I would have loved it, but I would have been genuinely enjoyed it and would have been okay with it. Pure fan service.

3.0 though reconfirmed my hopeful thoughts that Rebuild was meant to be more then a redone Eva and was actually something unique all it's own.

I'm bias, but I love 3.0 and it is by far the best thing "Evangelion" since 1997.

Still... I can understand why people can hate it. What I can't understand are the people who hate it and then jump into every conversation about why it's the worst thing ever made and that anyone who likes it is an Anno sycophant. There's a lot of those around.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:04 pm

You just answered your own question. Of course people are not going to like an incoherent plot. There's nop reason to say those people are unjustified it hating it when it half tries to not make sense then doesn't make sense without trying. Q is by all means fun to watch, but its incoherence kills it. It's certainly my least favorite of the three and if Final fails to properly weave Q with Ha then Q will certainly drop off the favorites list completely. Everyone and their grandmother should have known before Q was even released that the "dark turn" NGE had was coming regardless if it was going to be with new material or not, so praising the movie just based off what it should have had anyways seems silly.

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Sure the plot is cataclysmically incoherent (at least partly on purpose),
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:18 pm

TheFriskyIan: The usual convention is to have your response to quoted text directly follow it, rather than hover above the quote block. The way you're doing it (which I've never seen before, despite being on fora since 2003!) is confusing enough with a single quote block, and gets worse with multiple.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:19 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:You just answered your own question. Of course people are not going to like an incoherent plot. There's nop reason to say those people are unjustified it hating it when it half tries to not make sense then doesn't make sense without trying. Q is by all means fun to watch, but its incoherence kills it.

This seems like less of a problem with Q and more of a problem with Rebuild as a whole. The movie series feels confused, like it can't decide what it wants to be. There's this disconnect between each movie and it isn't particularly enjoyable to watch when one is expecting some kind of cohesive narrative.

Although I really did enjoy 3.0, if only because it was a refreshing change of pace after 2.0.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:26 pm

I never really hated it, but I was disapppointed with it when I first watched it. Then just 2 days ago I watched it on blu-ray and thought it was amazing. In fact after watching it I caved and ordered 1.11 and 2.22 on blu-ray, which was something I'd been putting off for about a year. Gonna marathon all three of them whenever they get here. :heart:
[Redacted]

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:33 pm

The "plot" isn't all a movie has going for it, though. 3.0's moment-to-moment narrative (Shinji's story and emotional arc, much of it communicated by those aforementioned expressive and symbolic visuals) is, if anything, clearer than 2's.

It is a very incomplete movie though, and much of its lasting worth will be determined retroactively when the last one comes out. (If the last one comes out, lul)
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:39 pm

Hello Kitty Unit 02 was fucking dumb though, I'll give the haters that. Unit 02 + 04 looks even dumber.

3.0 is flawed, but still the only one of the three films so far that really seems to justify its existence separate from the original series.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”