News [NO POLITICS]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: News [NO POLITICS]

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:12 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:About 1,400 cars destroyed in a single fire (but no horses were injured)

In spite of the scale of the fire, cars on the top deck survived. What was a surprise was that several of them contained dogs who also also survived, which had been left there while their owners enjoyed themselves. Sadly, this suggests that there were probably other dogs that didn't survive.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:31 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:In spite of the scale of the fire, cars on the top deck survived. What was a surprise was that several of them contained dogs who also also survived, which had been left there while their owners enjoyed themselves. Sadly, this suggests that there were probably other dogs that didn't survive.

That's very unfortunate, especially considering (according to the article anyway) that every car in parking garage was a total loss... but I'm more curious as to what started the "accidental" fire.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:17 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:every car in parking garage was a total loss...

By the top deck, I meant in the open air on top; all the decks underneath were gutted.

There's a picture taken by someone as the fire started showing a single Range-Rover on fire. But what caused that vehicle to catch alight is unknown at this stage.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:30 pm

^ I hope the person who took the pictures contacted the fire department at least. I also hope that no one set it intentionally.

Also didn't realize it's had an open and parkable roof. Thought you meant top floor inside the structure. Thank you for clarifying ^_^
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:24 am

Has anyone talked about the massive fuck-up with Intel yet? The CPUs they've been selling for the last ten years have this design flaw. Supposedly however the performance decrease wont be noticed by most consumers and even without the patch, you're chances of having personal accounts stolen is quite slim.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/0 ... sign_flaw/
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:56 am

They wanted it kept secret until the patches were out - but there's always someone who feels that the "right to know" trumps common sense. Still, the precise nature of the flaw remains under wraps, so we can't really judge yet just how serious it truly is. The fact that it took ten years for anyone to find it doesn't, of course, mean that exploits are necessarily hard to implement.

The hints we have do suggest (to my knowledge of OS/hardware interaction from past involvement with it) that the patch will have a material hit on performance, so we can expect a big jump in AMD's credibility for a while (indeed, I wonder if maybe they not-quite-leaked it to encourage this before any actually performance measurements appear).

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:15 am

The embargo on this wasn't supposed to lift until the 9th, but clearly somebody wanted the notoriety. There were some all-nighters being pulled this week, by people I know, as a consequence.

The nature of the attack is one of these obvious-in-hindsight things; and in one of the three variants, hits a fundamental weakness of the last 25+ years' worth of architectures (not just Intel's) that make use of processors that run faster than the RAM.

On the up-side, getting a dump of kernel (snap-shot or live-ish) is one thing; figuring out what it all means is a whole new problem.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:57 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:On the up-side, getting a dump of kernel (snap-shot or live-ish) is one thing; figuring out what it all means is a whole new problem.

Having once had to interpret the microcode from a binary dump of a chip (without even the help of separation of code and data), I can testify to that - and it was small in comparison to a modern kernel (just a couple of KB). But I was able to patch my code to side-step the fault it was causing :wink:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Serious vulnerability discovered in the Transmission torrent client. And apparently there are more torrent clients with vulnerabilities still under embargo.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 pm

He said the vulnerability was present only when users enabled remote access and disabled password protection.

Frankly, that's not a terribly serious matter; I mean, how secure is any system with passwords disabled?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:18 am

Tsunami warnings, watches from Alaska to Mexican border following Alaska earthquake

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tsunami-wa ... e-updates/

Be safe guys.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:55 am

Hmmm:
Ready - the US government's official campaign [...] website is not providing any live advice or updates due to the US government shutdown.

EDIT: No tsunami:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/alaska-earthquake-prompts-tsunami-warning/

Zeruss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruss » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 pm

American novelist Ursula K. Le Guin passed away.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/obit ... at-88.html

SPOILER: Show
I'm a lurker at heart.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:23 am

And now the Doomsday Clock has gone down to 2 minutes to midnight.

2016: They're calling me the worst year ever!
2017: Now they're calling ME the worst year ever!
2018: Hold my beer and watch this.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:31 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:And now the Doomsday Clock has gone down to 2 minutes to midnight.

Dr. Manhattan summed it up best. A symbolic clock indicating the end of the world is as nourishing to the intellect as a photograph of oxygen to a drowning man. Panicking about Nuclear Armageddon isn't going to solve anything. Besides, North Korea and Syria are nowhere NEAR as much of a threat as the Soviet Union was at it's peak. If we survived that, we can survive this.

Nut up. 2016 and 17 weren't that Bad. Do you think FDR would have preferred we lived before or after we had discovered the cure for Polio? Be grateful for what you have and let the ball fall where it may.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:24 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:And now the Doomsday Clock has gone down to 2 minutes to midnight.

I just hope we get to see 3.0+1.0 before midnight.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:20 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Nut up. 2016 and 17 weren't that Bad. Do you think FDR would have preferred we lived before or after we had discovered the cure for Polio? Be grateful for what you have and let the ball fall where it may.

I wasn't saying I agreed with those statements. I was just pointing out that other people--who I do NOT agree with--have made them in the past.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:53 pm

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 pm

El Squibbonator wrote:And now the Doomsday Clock has gone down to 2 minutes to midnight.

The clock is no longer solely indicating the nuclear holocaust, global warming is lumped in there as well. But, the clock is useless, and is based on the subjective events based in part on people's own fear and biases.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”