If 3rd Impact was averted

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

If 3rd Impact was averted

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:44 am

Just say, by some chance that 3I was actually stopped during the course of EOE. What do you think would happen afterward?
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: If 3rd Impact was adverted

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:49 am

Well, for starters, anyone who's dead at this point isn't getting a chance to return.
(Kaji ;_; )
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:45 am

I suppose it depends on when in the process but lets say Shinji gets in Unit 01 and fights alongside Asuka and manages to defeat the Eva series. Rei still betrays Gendo and merges with Lilith but instead of rising to start Third Impact forces it to kill itself somehow.

So from there you still have the order out on NERV. At that point we'd have Gendo still alive in Terminal Dogma unless in the process of Rei doing what she does Gendo dies. We then have the bridge crew + Fuyutsuki still alive. The JSSDF forces will be completely depleted because of Shinji/Asuka and perhaps communication channels would be opened.

I'd assume then that the next steps would be on taking the remaining NERV members into custody. I would imagine Fuyutsuki taking responsibility to negotiating something on the remaining peoples behalf. Asuka & Shinji would likely be sent somewhere safe and something would be put in place to track down the committee either.

I'm at work so only thinking about it quite quickly so can't quite flesh out a response but it's definitely an interesting idea. I imagine there would be a lot of potential for volatile situations. They would need to figure out what to do with the remaining Eva's. How to handle the NERV staff including the pilots and what to do about the committee.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:22 am

I don't see many ways things can end well for our cast without Third Impact.

Even if Third Impact was averted somehow, SEELE still has the upper hand in everything. What happens next depends on whether or not SEELE decides to rescind their kill order on NERV personnel. For the sake of discussion, let's say they do. Even if Fuyutsuki, or Gendo if he's still alive, were to testify against Committee members, no one has any reason to believe them and SEELE now has access to NERV HQ's Magi (assuming they captured HQ) so they can purge any data that might implicate their organization. They already tied up the loose end with the Japanese government and Kaji too, and they could keep using the Children as pilots for whatever reason if they really wanted to.

Also, I don't think Asuka and Shinji could hold off the JSSDF indefinitely. Inflict heavy casualties, probably. But if the JSSDF sustain too many losses, then what's to say SEELE couldn't call in other military divisions for support? I don't know if it's actually confirmed anywhere, but I always assumed the JSSDF troops attacking NERV belonged to the Special Forces Group. Even if their forces get trashed, Japan still has its regular troops to pull from to storm NERV.
Last edited by Glor on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:40 am

It's the worst of all possible bad ends. Everyone dies, and it was all for nothing, whee.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:47 am

I would like to point out that Gob Hoblin has written a fanfic that explores this option.

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16862/EVA-Sessions-The-Eaters-of-Sin/

Sad to say, it hasn't been updated since late summer as he's working on other things.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:59 am

First off, I'd like to state that I initially read the title as "If 3rd Impact was advertised" and was preparing an elaborate Beavis and Butthead Do Instrumentality joke that is now flushed down the memory hole.

Secondly, I concur with jcmoorehead that it depends on exactly when and how things are averted.

On the pollyanna end of things, we could say Shinji gives GNR a different answer than "everyone just die" that somehow results in quick tanging and untanging of e'rybody - hell, maybe he goes through the crap leading up to "congratulations" in EoTV then the whole world de-soupifies. The living and the recently dead all come back, Good End.

Less optimistically, lets' say Shinji gets to the cages on time and (hell of an and!) defeats the MPEs with Asuka. Seele is squirming here probably, because they now have nothing to counter Unit 01 and its infinite power source with. Even if they can sever Asuka's cable (not too hard) and take Unit 02 out of the picture, and manipulate the UN into a variant of the plan against Leliel where they just drop every nuke they have at once (Somewhat More Difficult), there's no guarantee that will actually penetrate Yui's Mary Sue AT field. Of course, everyone else is screwed here as well, given the collateral damage will kill a boatload of people on top of those already dead. Maybe after the MPEs get wrecked, the various governments Seele has been directly or indirectly manipulating have a sort of vote of no confidence in the cabal? The other monkey wrench is that GNR/KawoRei/whatever is alive and well here and can do whatever it wants to whomever it wants. Maybe this results in the world turning into FLCL instead of an ocean of LCL, who knows?

More pessimistically, we can take the above setup and say that Asuka and Shinji get killed by the harpies which outnumber them nine to two and are equipped with Mary Sue weaponry that ignores AT fields. GNR gets Rill Mad at this and kills them before disappearing in a puff of logic. There is now nothing left on earth that can cause 3I, a big mound of corpses, and a cabal staring at screens before saying "Welp" with a shrug and a sigh as they switch to Plan B for immortality, using Ray Kurzweil's books in place of the Secret Dead Sea Scrolls.

Super pessimistically, we could avert 3I by having Shinji act the same as he did until he sees Unit 02's various organs getting carted off by the harpies, at which point he has a violent psychotic break (basically his post-Bardiel snap once more with feeling) instead of the brain-shut-off mental breakdown he actually had. The harpies become his chewtoys, followed by the rest of the world as the Earth becomes a smoldering ruin. Yui is revealed to be a yandere and approves of all of this, absorbing Shinji and rocketing off into space. GNR dies of heartbreak. Unit 01 indeed becomes an eternal monument to man's existence - the inscription reads "My name is Ikari, God of Gods: look upon my works and despair!", and nothing else of humanity remains.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:07 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I would like to point out that Gob Hoblin has written a fanfic that explores this option.

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16862/EVA-Sessions-The-Eaters-of-Sin/

Sad to say, it hasn't been updated since late summer as he's working on other things.

Good rec is good. I haven't picked it up again since chapter 7, but it's pretty awesome. I particularly like how he involved all of the other NERV branches.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:14 pm

View Original PostGlor wrote:I don't know if it's actually confirmed anywhere, but I always assumed the JSSDF troops attacking NERV belonged to the Special Forces Group. Even if their forces get trashed, Japan still has its regular troops to pull from to storm NERV.

They're a group created from the funds diverted from NERV's budget. In any case, their name stands for the Japanese Special Self-Defense Force so presumably they are special forces. They also look like they are.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Re: If 3rd Impact was averted

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:54 pm

The official version of that what-if: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Evangelion_Anima
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:04 pm

View Original PostxPearse wrote:They're a group created from the funds diverted from NERV's budget.

Where did you learn that?

In any case, their name stands for the Japanese Special Self-Defense Force so presumably they are special forces.

No, the acronym stands for Japanese Strategic Self-Defense Force.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:17 pm

View Original PostGlor wrote:Even if their forces get trashed, Japan still has its regular troops to pull from to storm NERV.

In real life, isn't the JSDF the only actual organized military? I thought Japan wasn't allowed to have more than a defensive military due to the agreements of their surrender in WWII.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Where did you learn that?

In EoE, the Bridge Bunnies mention about how the budget has been slowly and surely been getting cut and that the invasion had been planned for a while. Not sure if it mentions where the funds got diverted, but it makes sense of it went to the JSSDF.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:36 pm

During EoE? The JSSDF would have terminated everyone hardcore. 3I was the only thing that prevented them from doing that in EoE. I mean it was a special forces group against a bunch of scientists with guns. Not hard to see how that's going to end. In this scenario Shinji would probably not have awakened Unit 01 (since he was a big part of 3I), which means the JSSDF would have eventually located and executed him in the cage. Rei would have suffered a nightmarish death as her body slowly fell apart. Gendo would have either been killed or put on trial for crimes against humanity when the Japanese government found out what kind of stuff NERV was doing (with SEELE putting their own spin on things of course). But worst of all, SEELE would still be completely intact and have unrestricted access to all of the impact triggers.

Really the ideal time to prevent 3I would have been immediately after Tabris' death, not in the middle of EoE. That way the angels would all be taken care of already, Gendo could be ousted from power, and NERV, under the leadership of someone with the right knowledge, could launch a pre-emptive attack on the instrumentality committee long before they could launch their harpies or schedule the JSSDF raid. NERV would have time to prepare and plan, which is a luxury they didn't have in EoE.
[Redacted]

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:53 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:In real life, isn't the JSDF the only actual organized military? I thought Japan wasn't allowed to have more than a defensive military due to the agreements of their surrender in WWII.

Right, but like any other military force, it has other branches, specifically the Japanese Ground Self-Defense Force, Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force and the Japanese Air Self-Defense Force. It very well could be that all these forces are already being committed to the invasion of NERV, but because of the way they were presented, I was just assuming that they belonged to the Japanese Special Forces Group, which is a counter-terrorist unit within the JGSDF. Basically their Special Forces equivalent.

That's why I suggested SEELE could potentially call in other JSSDF divisions. I think they separate the entire force into provincial "armies".
Last edited by Glor on Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:18 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:In EoE, the Bridge Bunnies mention about how the budget has been slowly and surely been getting cut and that the invasion had been planned for a while. Not sure if it mentions where the funds got diverted, but it makes sense of it went to the JSSDF.

I don't see the connection, personally. Nerv's funding comes from the U.N., while the JSSDF's comes from Japan. Seele cutting funding from the one would have no bearing on the other, unless we heard they were pumping money into Japan or something.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:20 am

I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibilities and the extent of Seele's influence, but I agree that there's probably nothing that supports that it happening that way. The simplest answer is that the budget cuts were meant to leave Nerv defenseless, rather than the funds being diverted for the sake of another group's advantage.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:20 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Where did you learn that?

It's mentioned in Ayanami Raising Project.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No, the acronym stands for Japanese Strategic Self-Defense Force.

Fuck. I was thinking of Gasaraki.

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:35 pm

I think that evangelion: anima deals with that, but i guess it would be pretty much like that, gendo arrested or missing, ritsuko questioned or arrested, fuyutsuki questioned or arrested, seele working in the shadows as always, Misato in charge of nerv with Shinji, Asuka and Rei still in the evas and the evas used to keep peace or stop some rebellious nerv branches all over the world and deal with some evas they've built, so basically after all i've said what happened at the end of 2.22 (in the 14 years time gap).
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:46 pm

I think we can all agree that unless Gendo was arrested and lined up in front of a firing squad, it just wouldn't be much fun.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”