DSS choker and Dead Sea Scrolls

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo's New Groove
Embryo

DSS choker and Dead Sea Scrolls

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's New Groove » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:05 am

I know DSS Choker stands for Deification Shutdown System Choker, not Dead Sea Scrolls, but maybe the name of the choker had another unintentional meaning? So the choker was put on Shinji to keep him from awakening an Eva and triggering an Impact. And the Dead Sea Scrolls are, partly, used as some sort of prophecy for angel attacks. So if the scrolls predicted an impact, the choker would prevent it, making it a DSS choker and a "DSS choker". In the latter case, DSS would mean Dead Sea Scrolls, and choke could be used as another word for kill, like killing, or stopping the scrolls' prediction.

Thoughts? I know, it's pretty long-winded and not very legitimate at all, but it was just an idea I had. I was also a bit torn on whether or not to put this in the chit-chat board or here, since this is pretty chit-chatty, though it's primarily about Rebuild.
All is not right, God is not in his heaven.

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: DSS choker and Dead Sea Scrolls

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:34 pm

Interesting theory and entirely possible given Anno's penchant for visual synergy.

Makes me wonder if the choker was constructed using Eva technology in a manner similar to the Nemesis series to prevent Impacts.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:54 pm

Very interesting observation! In addition to the DSS Choker, we also have the "DMS Phase" for the Evangelions.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:34 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:In addition to the DSS Choker, we also have the "DMS Phase" for the Evangelions.

The blazes is DMS Phase? Forum search indicates it's the khara translation for giji shinka or something, but doesn't shed much light on what it actually stands for. (Can translating an ambiguous Japanese phase as an even more ambiguous acronym be considered translation at all?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:53 pm

SPOILER: Show

I think it's referring to stage 2 pseudo-evolution. Don't see anything on the pseudo-evolution wiki page that might hint at its meaning, though. :chinscratch: Deification something something?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:26 pm

I think it could mean Destrudo Manifestation something, but I got nothing to back that up.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:39 am

I'm tired of all these goddamn vague acronyms in my goddamn vague anime! Goddamn!

DSS should have stood for Decapitate Shinji Squickingily though, have it have been Asuka's idea.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:47 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:

I think it's referring to stage 2 pseudo-evolution. Don't see anything on the pseudo-evolution wiki page that might hint at its meaning, though. :chinscratch: Deification something something?

This is pretty confusing... I'm gonna refresh my memory here.

2.0 CRC

エヴァ擬似シン化第1覚醒形態 (Eva Giji Shinka Dai 1 Kakusei Keitai)
エヴァ擬似シン化第2形態(通称 光の巨人) (Eva Giji Shinka Dai 2 Keitai (Utsujou Hikari no Kyojin))

Second is translated in-book as "Evangelion Pseudo-Evolution 2nd Phase (The Radiant Giant)".
First has no provided translation, but might be accordingly rendered "Evangelion Pseudo-Evolution 1st Awakening Phase".
The way the two designations are formatted differently, with their descriptive elements (Awakening and Radiant Giant respectively; Japanese equivalents bolded above) placed in different areas, is causing me no lack of confusion. I can't think of any reason why this inconsistency exists and it bothers me!

3.33 Dialogue

擬似シン化形態 (giji shinka keitai)

What Asuka says here includes the elements previously translated, in 2.0 CRC, as "pseudo-evolution phase". (Or perhaps, since there are at least two of them, it might more appropriately be "phases". Fyi, keitai means something more like "form" or "configuration" rather than "phase".)

So now we are dealing with the fact that the same guy responsible for the English translations in the CRCs, Dan Kanemitsu, has turned the actually coherent "pseudo-evolution" into the meaningless "pseudo-DMS". Perhaps it wasn't his call and Anno thought the original rendition made too much sense, but all we can do for now is dig deeper, I suppose.

If we look at the original シン化, shinka, we see that it doesn't actually specify "evolution" -- it uses katakana for the "shin" part -- which basically means "any kanji pronounced shin that makes contextual sense can go here" -- followed by the kanji suffix -ka which basically means "-ification". Now, 進化, evolution (or "advancification", if you like...), is perhaps the most obvious one, but there's also...

神化 - deification, apotheosis. This agrees with the proposal for what the "D" in "DMS" stands for.
深化 - deepening. Insert "Eva is loldeep" joke here.

Well, that's a depressingly short list. There are in fact a shit-ton of kanji pronounced "shin", but not many of them are known for making a compound with 化, it seems. That doesn't really help at all, does it?

I can't find anything in Japanese about what DMS might mean, either.

My best and only guess is: Deification Made Shorter.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:38 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:So now we are dealing with the fact that the same guy responsible for the English translations in the CRCs, Dan Kanemitsu, has turned the actually coherent "pseudo-evolution" into the meaningless "pseudo-DMS". Perhaps it wasn't his call and Anno thought the original rendition made too much sense, but all we can do for now is dig deeper, I suppose.

Take a look at this:

The second bar at the bottom of the screen. Doesn't that say "DMS: Critical?" Doesn't tell us anything about the meaning, but it does look like it's been linked to Awakenings before!

The model kit for Eva 13 also has a giji shinka designation:

Something about third form/phase?

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:49 pm

I just love that Evangelion needs to give even a bomb collar a cryptic religious name.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”