Evangelion R- Annihlation/Resurrection

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Evangelion R- Annihlation/Resurrection

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:29 pm

Yes, yes. I fully realize I'm like WAY late on this and this fan fic is considered, in many ways, to absolutely CRINGEWORTYHY (and that's a mild understatement at best given the agonizing format of it being a SCRIPT FIC with its tumultuous ellipsis hell--to the point of being awkward in certain spots). I also acknowledge that this is, essentially, a dead topic. But, I have only recently gotten around to reading and finishing reading the story and well...

First, a little refresher for those who:

A). Have never heard of the (in)famous Neon Genesis Evangelion: R

B). Haven't given a flying f*** about it in several years to care enough to remember the specifics (not that I can entirely blame you either)

Neon Genesis Evangelion: R is a super old fan fic made in the late 90s/early 2000s as "continuation fic" starting at "episode 27" (although I really didn't see any real semblances of methodology or creativity regarding how the author just sort of "bypassed" the workings of episodes 25 and 26 of the NGE series). The story more or less treats episodes 25 and 26 and EoE as being non-concurrent, but then goes even further to treat the original series ending as nothing more than something like a psychological fever dream on the part of Shinji (in my opinion the dots don't connect very well at all in this regard). What is interesting is that it opens up with Shinji in Asuka's hospital room (purposely mirroring EoE's opening without the bedside show of "appreciation"). So, what follows is a divergence that opens up a "second season" of NGE (which in all honesty, since no aspects of NGE's last two episodes are even remotely touched upon, should've been properly labeled as the author's version of "episode 25" since that's basically how it functions anyway).

WARNING UNABAHSED AND UNCENSORED SPOILERS AHEAD

So, in that first "episode" we're treated to what I can assume is Asuka's version (while still in a coma) of the kind of self-introspection and psycho-analysis that the author reduced NGE's episodes 25 and 26 to with regard to Shinji's perspective. To that end, she "gets better" and goes on to gradually regain her confidence, build up her sync ratio and resolve her "romantic tensions" with Shinji. Meanwhile the assault on NERV (as seen in EoE) is put on hold as Tokyo 3 is rebuilt and "new Angels" arrive.

With the new Angels, we get new characters and new Eva's and new conflicts leading up to what is basically "The End of Evangelion: R." Hence, the focus of this post. To clarify, NGE:R starts at "episode 27" and ends abruptly at "episode 49" from there, it diverges into multiple endings: Evangelion R: Annihilation/Resurrection (the "theatrical" ending of the Eva: R series) and Evangelion R: Prime (which just continues to the end of this "series”).

Since, I have yet to read Prime (and I'm not really sure I'm going to) I'm going to discuss here my thoughts on Evangelion R and the first ending Annihilation/Resurrection.

In the series, we're given Eva Unit 6, Lyn Anouilh and his caretaker Seyoko Okazaki as well as Aoi Tamashii. Oh yeah, we're also given the utterly useless characters Goro Tezuka and Yuri Furikawa in addition to the "human compliment" Tenkai.

Now, Lyn and Seyoko, are basically, the British! Shinji and Misato.

Seyoko basically does nothing in the first Eva-R series (“episodes” 27-49) before leaving for most of it and returning inexplicably (as we don't even find out anything about her until Annihilation/Resurrection) near the end.

Lyn the "sixth child', while basically being a Shinji expy, does have some interesting characterization, albeit limited (this despite how much "screen time" he's given). For example, we learn that his version of a "dark and troubled past" stems from his father's perceived hatred of him that due to the fact that he was forced to euthanize his own hospital-ridden mother. Based on this, I can only assume that it was his mother's soul that was placed into Unit 6. Now, the conflict with Lyn’s father and his mother being dead certainly go a long way with regard to establishing some “authenticity” as an Evangelion character, specifically as a young Eva pilot. However, this story never actually has his father appear so we never get any kind of real confrontation between the two. I think this lacking severely hurt any chance for this character to be explored or developed further than what information we’re given about him. Once again, this is a missed opportunity as the author could’ve used it to showcase how Lyn interacts with his father as a contrast with how Shinji interacts with Gendo.

Unit 6 itself is a point of contention in that I really don't understand at all what the author was trying to do or say with it. It was neat that it was yellow and it was neat that it had energy wings. However, it comes to light in the story that its body was composed of parts/flesh from Lilith, Unit 1 AND Adam! This, simply defies all logic about what the Eva's and Angels are supposed to be! To top it off, the Eva is completely destroyed as the last "Angel" depicted in Eva-R inexplicably rips out of its body xenomorph style. Granted, there were bits of foreshadowing of something beings seriously wrong with the unit from the start, but it still makes little sense given the biologies of the Eva's and Angels.

Which brings me to Goro, the "new kid" who moved back to newly reconstructed Tokyo 3 after things began to calm down post-episode 24 of NGE. Maybe he plays a bigger role in Prime, but he is utterly useless in the Eva-R series and contributes nothing in any one scene that he appears in. He isn't even given a sufficient explanation or proper introduction when he first appears. He’s just sort of there…In my opinion, this story could've easily been written without his existence and nothing would've been lost from his removal.

Then, there’s Yuri, Maya’s replacement bridge bunny who comes along after Ritsuko is sent off to be (what I assume based on the context of the story) executed, though this isn’t actually shown, after all the shenanigans with Eva 06, Rei, and Tenkai play out near the end of Eva-R. Anyway, Maya takes Ritsuko’s place and Yuri takes Maya’s place. Like Goro, Yuri is never properly introduced and the story could’ve of also gone one without her existence within it. But she gets a bit more of a free pass since she is at least involved with the plot in small ways as she is present at Nerv during the major plot events on account of being a Magi operator.

That being said, Aoi Tamashii is the most interesting of the new characters. She is like an early beta version (and I know this comment will be seen as a blatant BLASPHEMY by some) of Mari from the Rebuild movies. This is due to her upbeat "manic pixe dream girl" nature, especially with regard to her relationship with Lyn. After establishing her as this weird and energetic girl who has romantic attachments to Lyn and is friendly with everyone else including nearly all of the canon characters, the author goes out of his way to blatantly destroy this image of her was she becomes linked to the main plot of the series in the last episode (49) of Eva: R before the two alternate endings. She is reveled to be an angel in human form akin to Rei and Kaworu. She cryptically refers to Kaworu as her "brother" (I don't think this is literal but having more to do with the "kinship of the angels". This is all fine and good as a plot twist, but once again, it makes little sense with regard to who NGE/EoE operates with regards to the Angels, Souls, and Bodies (Human, Eva, or otherwise).

But first, a little about the Angels...

The "Angels" depicted in Eva-R are not like the original 17 and are not a mere ham fisted continuation in the vain of "oh there's more angels and so there's more reason to continue this plot, thus pushing back EoE even further. The author's concept here is both clever and yet kind of annoying at the same time. It's clever because it allows the original NGE's Eva vs. Angel action to continue by having them show up in a similar manner to the originals and necessitating their immediate destruction upon arrival (thus giving justification to Eva-R's story in the first place.) The story even reveals that they aren't real angels, but some kind of synthetic versions created to thwart Gendo's plan to rebuild Tokyo 3 and maintain it as a shield (both physically and publicly to hold back the assault on Nerv as seen in EoE). That's fine, except no further explanation is given about what they are, how they were created, and if they serve any other purposes or how they can produce A.T. fields for that matter. If I had written this with this kind of story progression in mind, I would've made this what the committee was working on in lieu of the MPE's of EoE (more on that in a bit). This at least, would've cleared up this little plot hole and tied things together a bit more neatly, ESPECIALLY since the whole "budget conversation" between Misato and Hyuga never once sees the light of day again in this fic. On that matter, Misato's "going Maverick/spy mode" thing never really materializes either in Eva-R. I mean, there's like one interesting conversation between her and Ritsuko near the end where's she's trying to probe for answers, but that's about it. This is quite a missed opportunity as she could've still done the whole "So that's what really happened during the 2nd impact" thing earlier on and then been simultaneously forced to fight more "Angels" throughout Eva-R's story. This kind of cognitive dissonance conflict could've made for a more compelling narrative dynamic.

Now, back to Aoi. She is reveled to be an Angel, a real one. Designated the "22nd" by the continuation standards of the "Angels" that arrive in Tokyo 3 to fight. Secretly, she's actually the "19th Angel" following the form of Kaworu/Tarbis being the 17th and humanity being the 18th. That's all fine and good, but there's a number of problems, namely WHO THE HELL IS SHE?! She becomes "Malachi" in Angel form (as seen in Annihilation/Resurrection). With the reveal of Angelic powers in place at the end of Eva-R's ending (episode 49) she goes out of her to sever her "human connections" with everyone before doing her evil deeds in A/R. This includes her being cruel to everyone to evoke their hatred (thus making it easier for her to go off and do what she needs to do on SEELE's behalf, initiating 3rd Impact). Now, before I into the nitty gritty of my confusion regarding Aoi/Malachi, I would say of episode 49, that it causes Eva-R to end in the wrong place. If re-written, I would have ended the episode with the conclusion of Ritsuko's and Misato's conversation and then evened things out with an "Episode 50" before the big leap into the divergent endings. With this, I would've implemented something akin to NGE's episode 14 and/or Death and Rebirth. Titled "Weaving of a Story 3" it could've showcased select aspects/scenes of Eva-R that not only conveyed a refresher/clip show, but also put the pieces together (via the use of other character's perspectives on the matters at hand like varying perspectives shown in ep. 14 of NGE). With this clarity in place (thus giving a conducive direction as to just what Eva-R is supposed to be about), it then could've flashed forward to the meeting with SEELE and UNSYNAPS where Aoi reveals her angelic nature. This would've been a much better touch and tightened things up for the story. Anyway, my main problem with Aoi/Malachi is we are never told who's soul resides within her. THIS MAKES HER A COMPLETELY WASTED OPPURTUNITY AS A CHARACTER AND AS A VILLAIN! The author could've explained her existence in a number of ways:

1). She's a new vessel to hold Adam's soul within that was kept on standby (either in LCL tank or frozen) at secret facility of some sort controlled by SEELE.
2). Adams' soul was divided akin to the way Lilith's was and Kaworu got its light half while Aoi got its dark half (this is kind of the least interesting of the available options, but at least it's an explanation, especially given Aoi's characterization in A/R).
3.) She's the human incarnation of a newly introduced FAR, basically being a third option outside of either Adam or Lilith.

Unfortunately, no explanation of any kind is given other than she's actually an "angel."
On the issues of souls, Rei III and her relation to EVA 00 becomes quite problematic. Once again, no explanation is given about her OR her Eva. Thus, the author missed even more opportunities with regard to the story. He instead basically gives his reading audience this: “Eva 00 has been rebuilt and Rei is still its pilot” with no further explanation for a number of things:

A) The soul now inhabiting the reconstructed Eva 00
B) The nature of Rei/Lilith’s soul in its current within this story’s version of Rei III
C) (This ties into B) Whether her soul is complete within Rei or still fragmented.
D) Why she isn’t falling apart at the seams due to the Destrudo Release upon all of the Reis (as seen in episode 23 of the series).

Now, to clarify things a bit, the author could’ve done a number of things with his story, namely:

1) Explained how Rei III can still pilot Eva 00 via some new modulated/agumented Dummy System with her digitally duplicated soul that somehow allows her to have primary control over it.
2) Depicted Rei III as having to take a medication of some type (perhaps injects of some sort) so that her physical body retains its shape.
3) Fleshed out some details so that the reader could at least infer that Lilith’s soul is still fragmented between Eva 00 and Rei III (thus making Eva-R’s depiction of Rei into what could be considered “Rei II version 2.0”).

And of course, more inconsistent, lazy, and just not well-thought out writing, leaves the reader in the dark with no explanation whatsoever, which really bothers me. Now, the author does do some strange/somewhat interesting things with regard to the way things seem to be uncanny and familiar/unfamiliar to her as she relates the other characters and her surroundings. He could’ve played around more with Rei III having to deal with the memories/experiences of Rei I and Rei II. Instead, he takes a much, much, more BIZARRE route:
The author has Rei III pilot Eva 01 and has her come out thinking she’s Yui! This part of the story actually had me laughing as it bordered on parody of the series itself. The explanation given (although not outright stated and probably not even directly intended by the author) is that the “memories” Rei III gets come from the impression left by Shinji when he merged with Yui’s soul in ep. 20 of NGE. This is a kind of bait and switch in that it was initially implied that Yui and Rei were having a kind of “freaky Friday” moment where Yui was somehow not even remotely aware that 11 years had gone by since she merged with Eva 01…But then it’s revealed that Rei’s personality change resulted from contamination from Shinji’s mental impression within the entry plug, thus Yui herself had absolutely nothing to do with it. A little soul swapping voodoo would’ve actually been more interesting and CERTAINLY a bit more logical (if not still totally silly and nonsensical) in my opinion.
This brings us to the most bizarre new character of Eva-R, Tenkai. He’s only implied throughout most of the series and doesn’t show up as a real character until near the end so that Rei can sync with him in such a way that allows her to have TWO A.T. FIELDS and make energy blasts (akin to a hadouken) with Eva 00 all the while being able to use him as some kind of medium that allows her to surpass 100% synchronization with her Eva!

That being said, we’re literally given NOTHING with regard to Tenkai’s nature other than:
A) He can only speak Arabic (unless hooked up to weird devices that allow him to be translated) until he learns bits of “Japanese”).
B) He’s apparently a physical clone of Kaji.

THAT’S IT! THAT’S ALL WE’RE TOLD ABOUT HIM! I mean really:
A) Is he an angel of some kind or perhaps some sort of human angel hyrbrid?
B) Who’s soul resides within him?
C) How was he created?

There’s just little explanation of him other than he sees Rei as some kind of mother figure that really isn’t all that interesting outside of allowing the Eva’s to do things they normally couldn’t. It really kind of irks me that A/R didn’t even make much further use of him much less give any more information or hints regarding his existence, especially since a lot of the “Nerv’s Secrets/Gendo’s Agenda” plot within Eva-R revolved around him!
The other thing that Eva-R (eps. 27-49) does (and admittedly I kind of liked this concept even though it’s yet ANOTHER idea that didn’t really go anywhere) was to bring back Unit 04 and give it wings! The first branch inexplicably resurfaces with this Eva and the US rushes around to collect as much of everything from the site as they can as well as reacquire Unit 04> Interestingly, this comes as a surprise to both Nerv and SEELE…
All of this brings everything together for the “theatrical conclusion” of Evangelion: R,Evangelion R: Annihilation/Resurrection.

In this ending to the story, Aoi goes around being a bitch to everyone so that it can be easier for her to do her evil angel/initiate third impact thing. Meanwhile, Seyoko is revealed to have been working alongside Kaji behind the scene prior to his death. She reveals that the corporation UNSYNAPS was set up to be Nerv’s replacement and that Lyn’s father is the head of UNSYNAPS (hence the hologram monolith that has been talking with SEELE, although the author never explicitly clarifies this). Also, (and it’s never directly stated who actually did this, although I suspect that the author was trying to suggest it was SEELE) someone sends a bunch of space bombs to the Lance of Longinus so that it can be disrupted from its orbit around the moon and sent on a trajectory towards Earth. This occurs and it explodes upon Chicago, thus killing millions of people. From what I understood of the plot, this incident is blamed on Nerv which prompts an invasion (as seen in EoE). Thus, “The End of Evangelion: R” a.k.a. Evangelion R: Annihilation/Resurrection begins.
It’s in the midst of all this that Asuka reverts back into the same kind of mental anguish, from losing against the last “Angel” depicted in Eva-R and Aoi’s harsh words. This prompts Shinji to fall into a pathetic state due to Asuka rejecting him. Rei and Aoi talk as they acknowledge each other’s angelic natures. Maya shuffles Tenkai onto Misato to keep him safe during the chaotic events (this is literally the last thing that involves him within the plot). Lyn is feeling just as bad as Shinji due to Aoi being a bitch to him. Thus, everyone is depressed and ready for this little “end of the world special.” It plays out basically the same with these exceptions:

Both Lyn and Asuka take up the fight in the GeoFront (with Lyn in EVA 00! Since Unit 6 was destroyed near the end of Eva-R)
Mistato and Seyoko are both running around trying to be spies and protect the pilots from execution.
Gendo and Rei’s Union before Lilith in Terminal Dogma is interrupted by Aoi who turns into her Malachi (“Angel”) form to do her own version of Third Impact.

So, Lyn fights against four Jet Alone robots (no I’m not making this up) each armed with some kind of particle (“anti-A.T. field) canon. He beats them only to have to fight three extra MP Evas (outside of the main 9) along with a clone of his Unit 6. He self-destructs EVA 00 and destroys them all as he commits suicide as a form of “redemption” for having killed his mom when he was a kid.

Upon hearing Lyn is dead, Seyoko loses it and goes on a suicidal gun rampage against the JSSDF soldiers (we aren’t explicitly told her fate but it can be inferred that she dies) while Misato and Shinji race to Eva 01. Misato basically gives him the same speech in her car about Adam and Lilith.

Then, Asuka crawls out of her funk to do her “False Regeneration” thing against the 9 MP Evas. This time around, she was on the launch pad. So, with her Eva, she blasts out if the ground in the Geo Front with a big cross explosion and gets ready to fight. She gets beaten horribly (as to be expected) as the regenerate. Then, Eva 04, controlled by UNSYNAPSE (under the orders to fight off: Nerv, SEELE, and the JSSDF all at once, while destroying all of the Evas) flies down and fights them It rips Asuka’s entry plug out and fights for a bit with the MPEs before getting destroyed. Then, Third Impact starts…

Down in Terminal Dogma (during the battles) Aoi/Malachi kills Rei III before she can reunite with Lilith. Gendo is forced to watch all of this behind an A.T. field barrier. Due to Rei’s “death” it is implied that her soul floated off into Eva 04, which was being operated via a Dummy Plug based on her (this is implied by the writing, but it’s confusing as hell and not very clear at all. Hence, the inexplicable “mercy” upon Asuka during the battle despite the utter failure this results in).

Shinji and Misato go to the cage only for Misato to get shot and bleeding (like in EoE). She gives a last motivational speech to Shinji (this is vastly different than the movie) along with her cross and a kiss (I THOUGHT THE AUTHOR WANTED TO AVOID ALL THE “SQUICK?!”).
Shinji makes it to Eva 01, but all mechanics for entering the Eva are destroyed beyond repair so he just sits there and mopes.
Meanwhile, in Terminal Dogma, Aoi/Maclahi causes Lilith’s body to explode, rendering it completely useless (this is in part, what lead to Rei’s soul to randomly float off into Eva 04).

Then the MPEs arrive down there with the lance and form the Sephirotic Tree of life. Then, people, instead of turning into LCL, just starting vanishing “Rapture style.” As NERV starts blow up and everyone disappears, Eva Uint 01’s armor falls off to reveal a GNR of sorts (I guess this is where Rei’s soul went to next) and everything is wrapped in light as Shinji is absorbed along with everyone else. Then, this version GNR spreads her wings and lands each individual one on different locations around the world to collect souls. Then, she stands there as a giant with all souls crying out in ecstasy (think, the Komm Susser Tod scene from EoE minus the mental anguish and all the other good stuff that goes along with it, including “getting tanged”).

So then, we treated to an “Instrumentality head trip” for Shinji where he learns so valuable lessons and interacts with people. The lesson he learns here is not be afraid of loving others, namely Asuka.

Then, it ends. The problem with all of this, is that the build up was hardly worth how things played out. It came across as kind of cheap due to the nature of this “easy virtue.” After that, there’s one last thing the author decided to do:

In the last segment, entitled “I Feel Fine”Shiniji wakes up to Asuka screaming at him because he’s going to be late for school. This all plays out basically the same as the Alternate Universe/Slice of Life scenes from Episode 26 of NGE. Except it includes a dark haired Rei and the “new students” are Lyn and Kaworu. At the very end, Shinji and Asuka are sitting together and she asks him “What’s wrong, are you feeling okay?”
And then Shinji says “Yeah, I’m okay. I feel fine.”

THE END

Seriously?! The author of this work (even after having seen EoE to write all of this) grossly missed the point about escaping from reality. To me, there should’ve been one more sequence to break out of this little fantasy or something. I mean really, what was the point of indulging in all of this just end up at the same result (executed in an exponentially greater manner) as ep. 26 of NGE? The inference here is that after going through the little “mind trip” (devoid of any of the mind screwy/reality bending elements) with ideas/concepts that are supposed to be “deep” (but really come off as cheap, shallow, and tacked on) Shinji willed this final form of reality that we see in this last sequence.

My response to this ending after grinding through all of the excessive and overwritten build up: UGH.

I mean really, after having first hearing about Evangelion-R back in 2002, I really wanted to like it, especially after having forgotten about/procrastinated reading it for such a long time. To me, the juice just wasn’t worth the squeeze. It certainly had potential. I definitely enjoyed most of the artwork involved, the “Video Cases” being a particular highlight (I even went of my way to track down the old archives from the original art and “box covers” not available on the current site). I even found the set up with postponing the events of EoE to tell an expanded story. The problem, unfortunately, is that most of it was either a wasted opportunity or simply didn’t go anywhere all that interesting when it could’ve been great.

Anyway, I fully acknowledge that this was an extremely long winded and probably excessively unneeded analysis of an ancient fan fic that has been dead for ages…I really just needed to vent after having endured it, even if it’s an old topic. (If you made this far in my review, thanks for reading!)
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Evangelion R- Annihlation/Resurrection

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Thank you for reading Eva R so I don't have to. You're a brave man and your sacrifice will not be forgotten.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:55 pm

Hey thanks for reading my review of this "master piece." To be fair, not all of it was horrible. For example, from a conceptual point of view, the new characters and Evas (along with most all of the animation and designs connected to them, especially the 3d models were pretty cool). The music isn't bad (if not a tad out of place in the NGE universe) with "The Human Complement" being a highlight. My main thing with all of it is, that it was actually pretty neat, it just didn't really live up to the potential of where these ideas could've gone. Plus, I think the way this story is presented, it had too many "jumping the shark" moments (even for NGE's world), especially Rei thinking she was Yui...that was just sort of inexplicable and weird (but even then, that had potential that simply wasn't instated). I think if this story was revised with some of the conceptual changes I suggested (with a particular regard to format, pacing and staying within the realm of NGE's canon) it could actually pretty kick ass. The ending would need a complete over ride to ad more substance and depth to it. Maybe then, it could be something...
FROM EVANGELION:

NOT FROM EVANGELION:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:51 pm

I tried to read Eva-R back when I was consuming everything I could lay my hands on, but the seriously 1990s web design with the text in a tiny scrolling sub-window really put me off, even more than the ellipses.

Given when it was written -- before the ANF Golden Age when we managed to reverse-engineer enough of the series to achieve our current understanding -- it's not surprising that several of the lost opportunities were lost, because those implications hadn't yet been teased out of the source material.

And given that even Sadamoto eventually went for a semi-reset ending, I don't think we can entirely blame Eva-R for getting there many years sooner.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Therein lies part of what was lost...It really all does "come tumbling down" in the end doesn't it? What I mean here is the totally loss of naivety. As I mentioned before, I learned about Evangelion R way back in 2002. Back then, my only access to anything Evangelion was those old two episode VHS tapes...

You see, I only really decided to delve into this because of this nostalgia period we're all going through with Evangelion because of the 20th anniversary. And so, I went looking for old, like REALLY OLD Evangelion stuff...I mean like old self-made web pages and old GeoCities stuff. All like crumbling monuments to the early Evangelion fandom. This fanfic too, is a relic from the early days. I'm satisfied enough from simply knowing that I finally got around to finish reading it. With its completion, comes a kind of loss of innocence I guess...As a sea of imagined possibilities becomes a stagnant pool of unalterable objective realities.

Indeed it was the lack of knowledge and the possibilities that came along with the discoveries that made something like this so exciting back in the old days...

But newer understandings of the source material kind of made the beauty of something like this fade and begin to rust like and old bike from childhood days that has been ridden in over decade and left out in sun, derelict and totally abandoned. I suppose, like the perception of a younger mind, this story could only be written with the kind of understanding that was written at that time. Thus, like the transition into adulthood, we run into falsehoods and absolute contradictions when we look back and try and bridge the past with the present.

Anyway, thank you for your contribution to this post so that I could start to understand that.
FROM EVANGELION:

NOT FROM EVANGELION:

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:14 pm

I could never bring myself to finish this story, I too was bitten by the procrastination bug. Though from what I did read it wasn't all that interesting and after reading your review I'm kind of glad I never got around to finishing it.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:07 am

The Ballad of SawItAtAgeTen
You read this abomination so others would not
You saved us from feeling despair, but it came at a cost
You had lost the will to live after you lost your mind from the cringeiness
But you took that vile witch Malacha with you