New & Upcoming Games Thread

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

New & Upcoming Games Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:06 am

I searched and for the life of me couldn't find a thread like this here in the subforum. I'm missing the old search function where you could pull up all existing threads chronologically and do the old Ctrl+F. I seriously suck at using the new one. Anyways... dedicated catch-all for discussion on new and upcoming games, much like what we have for films. If something like this exists already let's just fold it into there.

So, I found out about Visage: https://youtu.be/x-AJjWF58AY

Like Allison Road, it's looking to be a PT successor of sorts, but placing a lot of emphasis on the surroundings and environment too, not just a ghostly entity/antagonist, although there seems to be one of those too. The hallway gave me chills, man; like experiencing a bad acid flashback of House of Leaves all over again. I fucking loved it.

Allison Road prototype gameplay trailer for those wondering and for inclusion's sake: https://youtu.be/__i_LoRKhJ0
Last edited by Blue Monday on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Re: New & Upcoming Games Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:24 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:

Allison Road prototype gameplay trailer for those wondering and for inclusion's sake: https://youtu.be/__i_LoRKhJ0

That looks a lot more polished and horrifying than the original alpha footage I saw a while ago. Although it does still make me a bit sad for Silent Hills, since all these great indie horror games were spawned just from that thing's trailer; it would probably have been a real monster of a game if it had been fully completed.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:37 pm

If Visage gets a PS4 release like Allison Road is planned to, it would be enough to make me take the plunge. Otherwise, it's going to be time for me to finally upgrade to a better PC.
Warren Peace, #643919

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Yooooooo, The new bloodstained shaders look great, 2017 please come faster:
SPOILER: Show
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:34 pm

^
That's... That woman is a 3d model, isn't she? Holy fuck! I thought the shaders in the Vita Senran Kagura games were good at making 3d look 2d, but this is on a whole other level! I can't wait to play the finished product.
[Redacted]

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:36 pm

Yep thats the MC's model in a random idle pose they chose for this update on the kickstarter page, Not the question is how will the game look in MOTION.
Cause as someone who has take a very brief course in 3d modelling, the hardest part is animating by FAR.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Huzzah for gratuitous tattooed sideboob!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:51 pm

:headscratch: Sideboob? Sideboob is the side of the boob -- that's the top of the boob!

The same tattoo seems to be on her legs as well. I wonder why.

Well, in any case, I don't pay much attention to character designs until I've gotten to know the character more. Until then they're just kinda "Yeah, that's someone" to me.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:07 pm

Lore reason is that isnt a tattoo, its a demonic mark that eats away at the one who bears it until it envelopes their entire body driving them mad, its also made of stained glass, hence the game name: bloodstained.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:11 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Allison Road prototype gameplay trailer for those wondering and for inclusion's sake: https://youtu.be/__i_LoRKhJ0

When I saw this and understood what this was going for, I paused the video, turned out the lights, watched in the dark, and loved every minute of it.

Then I saw that it was dated from June of last year. How did I manage to go half a year without having seen this already?!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:16 pm

Well prepare to be dissapointed, this team got bought out by a larger company who will probably not allow the as much creative freedom.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:48 pm

They didn't get bought out. Team17 are going to publish i.e. fund the game, and I'm pretty sure the Lilith crew said they were still going to be able to make they game they want. It's a far more ideal situation than the crowdfunding route.

@Monk: Did you watch the Visage trailer too? If so, which one intrigued more; Visage or Allison Road?
Warren Peace, #643919

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:03 am

Funny you should ask, Blue, cuz I just got done watching the Visage trailer and was going to comment about that!

Allison Road and Visage trailer  SPOILER: Show
Allison Road wins hands-down. Its buildup was phenomenal. It starts mundane, and it's quite a while before anything overtly weird happens. Even it still goes too far too soon for my preferences, but I'm an especially picky consumer of horror.

Visage, on the other hand, starts with a startle -- the protag's sudden gasping awakening, which also starts things off with something weird going on. I didn't like that. When the first jumpscare happens (the eye on the TV, and the loud noise), I was startled as intended, but still said out loud "Too soon, man".

But it turns around from that surprisingly quickly -- that dark hallway was extremely effective. I think it was actually more effective because it came on the heels of that early jumpscare; my heart was still pounding, and the game had already demonstrated that it was willing to throw startles at me, so I was on edge not sure of what to expect, because I wasn't sure if these guys knew what they were doing. Allison Road, ironically you might say, was perhaps too good at its buildup, because I was able to predict important moments in that video when I knew a scare would not happen.

Visage, specifically that hallway moment, was different -- I had no idea what would happen when the door had fully opened.

I seem to have talked myself into a much less certain position than where I started. But I think I still give the edge to Allison Road. I have more confidence in the product I saw on display there.
System Administrator

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:19 am

I agree with you on the points you raise. In a sense though it's a bit unfair because the Allison Road video is a longer length gameplay prototype, so it can afford the build-up, whereas Visage is a shorter trailer package so it has to fit more variety in. Both are looking like they're going to be phenomenal anyway, really looking forward to them. I freakin' swear during the Visage trailer, as soon as the player walked into the dark hallway it felt like I was going to have a heart attack I was that wrapped with anxiety.

-o-;
Warren Peace, #643919

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:03 am

I don't know what limitations each developer faced as they put these trailers together -- did the Visage trailer have to be that length? I took their respective lengths to be decisions worth counting as part of their "score".

They do both look fantastic. I think Allison Road looked better and reminds me a lot more of P.T. than Visage did in what I saw of it. Allison Road has that same near-photorealistic aesthetic that stood out to me so much about P.T.. Visage's visuals seemed to be lacking something.

At the same time, they both also look... well, derivative. Short of a miracle, we will never have Silent Hills, and will never know what could have been. (In fact, it might well have been very different from P.T., perhaps featuring a third-person camera to show us Norman Reedus, for example.) These games emulate it, but the kind of genius that created P.T. in the first place isn't behind either of them. With luck, we won't notice the difference; they certainly seem to understand at least some of what made P.T. good in the first place. And it's also possible that they are geniuses in their own right smartly mimicking something more famous to get attention before they wow us with something that is more truly of themselves.
System Administrator

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:59 am

Here's some interesting concept art for Allison Road, indicating that the player will at some stage escape the house and enter an otherworld: http://imgur.com/a/CFIPe

That weird tree creature gives me mad Pan's Labyrinth vibes...

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:In fact, it might well have been very different from P.T., perhaps featuring a third-person camera to show us Norman Reedus, for example.

I saw a del Toro interview where he indicated that, or at least I got the impression, the main game would handle more like The Last of Us in third-person (a game which I coincidentally played and completed for the first time only a couple weeks ago), and that the first-person view would be used only in particular sections, e.g. building interiors and the like, as seen in PT. He name-dropped The Last of Us specifically, mind.
Warren Peace, #643919

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:14 am

Dude that art is so Silent Hill it's not even funny.

...Wait a minute. "Allison Road". A place name like something you'd see on an address. Jeez, they really are aping Silent Hill. :lol:
System Administrator

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:35 pm

Anybody else looking forward to Dragon Quest Builders? It's essentially DQ's version of Minecraft, meaning actual effort went into the visuals. Square Enix put some demos up on the Japanese PSN for the PS4 and Vita versions yesterday, and since I have a Japanese PSN account I was able to download the PS4 version. The game is awesome so far, and that's coming from someone who wasn't even interested in anything DQ until this game was announced. From what I've seen so far you can do pretty much anything you can do in Minecraft without having to put up with Minecraft's.... 'art style'. It's also going to have a fully fleshed-out story mode included in the game when it's finished, which will reportedly be about 50 to 60 hours long. I'm really hoping the game is localized because right now it's only confirmed for release in Japan, but if it comes down to it I will buy the Japanese version despite it having a lot of reading to do, the game is just that good. Here's a gameplay video for the game:

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/dragon-quest ... build-mode
[Redacted]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:19 pm

In a complete reversal of the Konami situation. SNK is leaving Pachinko and getting back into making actual video games again. Why? New Pachinko taxes, and the possible legalization of gambling which would possible torpedo their profits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcT7DjSzphk

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:01 am

^They've been acquired by a Chinese business, Leyou Technologies from what I recall as well, that's one of the things that's caused a change in course.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”