Nozomi and Sakura's ages?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

Nozomi and Sakura's ages?

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:55 am

Does anyone have any idea about the age(s) of Nozomi and Sakura (pre-3.0 for the latter), since Gainax/Khara is apparently not interested in giving any official world on them? Rough estimates are fine.
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Nozomi and Sakura's ages?

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:01 am

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:Does anyone have any idea about the age(s) of Nozomi and Sakura (pre-3.0 for the latter), since Gainax/Khara is apparently not interested in giving any official world on them? Rough estimates are fine.

Both should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 years old as of Q, so maybe 6-7 in Ha.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:38 pm

That does seem to be the common assumption in the fandom. Were you taking into account Sakura's and Nozomi's appearances during the relevant time frame? (In hindsight, I should've linked to them from the beginning for courtesy's sake.)

Sakura in 2.0  SPOILER: Show

Current illustrations of Nozomi  SPOILER: Show

Is it just me, or does Nozomi's official illustration make her look younger than Sakura?

EDIT: WTH? The "spoiler=" markup is broken.

EDIT: OK, they're fixed now. Thanks for the assistance!
Last edited by MarqFJA87 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:45 pm

Edit: Never mind! Already fixed

Nozomi does look younger than Sakura to me. She has a rounder face and her eyes are a little bigger proportionally.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Yeah, though I would prefer seeing the two of them next to a single "object" of reference before firmly assuming that to be the case. Both of them appear to be tall enough to reach the shoulders of their respectivel 14-year-old older sibling, though in Nozomi's case this might be skewed by the nature of the illustration (i.e. her feet might actually end up standing on empty air with her positioning; again, the provided images don't allow us a proper estimate by comparison).

Ugh, how come nobody ever thought of using these three characters in all of those "not-royally-screwed-up" AU spin-offs like the Shinji Ikari Raising Project manga? Things would probably be so much easier.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:42 pm

Because nobody knew how they looked like.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:47 am

Yeah, I can't believe they finally have character designs.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:42 pm

I really like Nozomi's design, but I don't think I'll ever get used to Kodama. Totally not what I had in mind for the woman.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Okay, aside from Hikari I've never seen these characters before. Were they featured in something eva related, like a manga or something?

Also, there's an odd disconnect between the designs of the two sisters and Hikari. Hikari still very much has a lot of key features that were iconic to Sadamoto's style in the 90's, but the two other girls look like they were designed only in the past couple of years. They look more like characters Sadamoto would design for a Mamoru Hosoda film, not an Evangelion film.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:17 pm

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks.

Wow, the train? That's it?

Okay.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:51 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Because nobody knew how they looked like.

That didn't stop people who only know Kyouko from the anime (in which we never get a clear shot of her) from writing her. More often than not, she was described as basically an adult-sized version of Asuka (lazy, I know, but better than nothing and has plenty of official precedent in many anime/manga), which of course means they gave her red hair instead of the blonde hair she sports in the manga and the few official spin-offs she shows up in.

Bagheera wrote:I really like Nozomi's design, but I don't think I'll ever get used to Kodama. Totally not what I had in mind for the woman.

Yeah, I'm far more used to the mental image that I had developed from all the fanfic portrayals of her character as a teenaged Misato with considerably less alcoholism, no psychological issues or childhood trauma, a fixation on teasing Hikari about her love life (and to a lesser extent, other younger teenaged characters about their own love lives), and being quite flirtatious and sexually liberal (e.g. finds social taboos on extramarital sex to be silly and old-fashioned, which often clashes with Hikari's more traditional beliefs). While the large bust of the official illustration does canonize those fanfics that explicitly gave her such a physique, her face doesn't exactly look like what you'd expect from the character type that is used in the aforemetnioned fanfic portrayals.

... Then again, I think that this design isn't necessarily mutually exclusive with the character type in question. I seem to vaguely remember coming across examples of the character type that looked somewhat along the same lines as Kodama's official design.

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Okay, aside from Hikari I've never seen these characters before.

... No offense intended, but I sure hope that you at least already knew of them by name, because I could not fathom the idea of an Evangelion fan that hasn't heard of their existence as characters yet (they're explicitly mentioned by name in the anime) unless they're quite new to the franchise.

Were they featured in something eva related, like a manga or something?

No, they haven't. And I've pretty much said that in a prior post, BTW.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:12 pm

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:That didn't stop people who only know Kyouko from the anime (in which we never get a clear shot of her) from writing her. More often than not, she was described as basically an adult-sized version of Asuka (lazy, I know, but better than nothing and has plenty of official precedent in many anime/manga), which of course means they gave her red hair instead of the blonde hair she sports in the manga and the few official spin-offs she shows up in.

In Sadamoto's manga, Kyoko is never seen in color. The blonde hair comes from the Raising Project manga, I thought. Also worth noting that the manga depictions diverge from what's shown in the anime (where Kyoko clearly doesn't have long, flowing tresses).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:40 pm

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:... No offense intended, but I sure hope that you at least already knew of them by name, because I could not fathom the idea of an Evangelion fan that hasn't heard of their existence as characters yet (they're explicitly mentioned by name in the anime) unless they're quite new to the franchise.

None taken. I mean, I knew of them. But that didn't make me any more familiar with their appearance. The fact that they aren't designed by Sadamoto made things all the more weirder. (Not bad, mind you. They look good! They just don't look like they belong in the same show as Hikari does.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:21 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The fact that they aren't designed by Sadamoto

Do we actually know that?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:15 am

"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:04 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:In Sadamoto's manga, Kyoko is never seen in color. The blonde hair comes from the Raising Project manga, I thought. Also worth noting that the manga depictions diverge from what's shown in the anime (where Kyoko clearly doesn't have long, flowing tresses).

RE Sadamoto's manga: Even if she's never seen in color, the few shots that we see of her show her much more clearly than the anime, and her hair is given the completely-white shade that is typically associated with lighter hair colors (bright-blonde Ritsuko and blue-haired Rei have the same white shading, contrasting with brownish-blonde Kensuke being often depicted with a clearly-gray shade).

And as for Kyoko having shorter hair in the anime, the anime shots are of her after she went nuts and was hospitalized. The medical staff may have cut her hair short to simplify hygienic care for the insane woman.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:51 pm

View Original PostMarqFJA87 wrote:And as for Kyoko having shorter hair in the anime, the anime shots are of her after she went nuts and was hospitalized. The medical staff may have cut her hair short to simplify hygienic care for the insane woman.

There's also the image of her that Asuka sees when they're reunited in EoE, meant to represent Asuka's vague memory of her mom actually being a mom, and Kyoko has short hair there, as well.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:40 pm

Reichu wrote:There's also the image of her that Asuka sees when they're reunited in EoE, meant to represent Asuka's vague memory of her mom actually being a mom, and Kyoko has short hair there, as well.

This image, you mean? I don't know, it seems vague enough that the "short hair" can be attributed to abstraction, imperfect memory combined with stronger impact of the memory of her insane self, that part of the long hair is simply hidden behind her shoulders and back... or laziness on part of the artist (they never bothered depicting her clearly before; why would they now?).

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:38 pm

I always thought Kyoko look somewhat like Yui. Mostly it's the hair style. Both women are featured so little in their pre-Eva forms that I wonder if the bob haircut is visual shorthand in the series for motherhood. Rei is somewhat motherly, and she has a bob haircut. Just stick that on every actual mother character featured or otherwise glanced at in the series, and people will subconsciously get it.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”