Childhood's End

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Childhood's End

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:27 am

I don't know whether this belongs here or in one of the "main" subforums, because one of the reasons I want to discuss it is because of its potential relation to Evangelion. So if a mod is reading this and they think it should be moved, they can feel free to do so.
Childhood's End is a book by Arthur C. Clarke, which was adapted into a three-part TV miniseries that finished airing today. In it, an alien species calling themselves the Overlords arrive on Earth and essentially bring about world peace. As a consequence of this, however, human innovation and culture is more or less stopped in its tracks. The Overlords (who happen to resemble devils) serve the Overmind, a collective consciousness of intelligent species from around the universe that have ascended from their material forms. They have come to Earth to guide humanity on the path to joining the Overmind.
Have any of you read this book, or watched the miniseries based on it?
And what do you think of the parallels between the Overmind and Third Impact?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Childhood's End

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Watched the first two parts so far. It's... okay and very slow. I mean, I haven't read the book but I checked out the net and it doesn't follow the source material very well. In any case, the connections are more or less look at me I can reference things, I can lift from other materials and crap like that. I wouldn't overly think anything. It's more or less everything turn into one mind thing and a few other things if I recall. Also, when was the book published in Jipang?
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:13 pm

I forgot to set the DVR! Damn, have to see if that's coming back on again.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:49 pm

All three parts are available in the usual places, for those looking to catch up.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:28 pm

What do you think of the Eva similarities? Could the book have been an influence on Anno?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:55 pm

Well, that answers that question.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 pm

For those who've read the book, is this at all representative? I ask because this show leaves a lot of unanswered questions, which doesn't seem to fit an author with Clarke's rep.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Film and Video”