Accurate End of Evangelion subtitles

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ApolloIVtv
Adam

Accurate End of Evangelion subtitles

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:05 pm

It always seems like the End of Eva subs I find is that one where it's mostly just taken from the english dub. Does anyone know where I can find a more accurate sub for it, or if there even is one?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Accurate EoE subs

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:30 am

For the EoE blu-ray I have

http://3xrani.me/subs/EOE.English.zip -- mostly unchanged from the Manga translation, just retimed
http://pastebin.com/VWJtYAf6 -- based on bochan_bird's translation of the screenplay, may have some timing issues
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:16 am

Here's my collection.

There are several different sets, though also a number of duplicates of the official subs with slightly different timing to fit different rips as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:40 am

The Renewal EoE A2000A fan subs is what I always suggest for closer accuracy. They also fan subbed the series when Renewal was first out.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:53 am

Do you know where I can find the A2000A subs? I can't seem to find them.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:52 am

In my collection - download linked above - the a2000a subs for EoE are present, but not all labelled as such. They are in two parts, in the subfolders for Air and True Heart, and are called "Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion (1997) CD1" and "NGE-remastered_-_End_of_Evangelion_-_part2[A2000A][Divx-AC3]". (Based on file sizes, some of the other files may also be duplicates of these that I haven't sorted out.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:16 pm

From what I've seen, "I'm so fucked up" has a bigger impact on viewers than any other single line, so I wouldn't want to show anyone a version of this movie without it.. and yet, I'm always complaining about how the subtitles available for NGE online aren't good enough. The double standard makes my head hurt. :cringe:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:17 am

^ Then don't use the "fucked up" translation. I actually use the translation "I am scum," or "I am the lowest." The "scum" reference, to me anyway, always felt more emotionally vulnerable.

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:28 pm

Thanks a bunch!
Shinji's line I have mix feelings on with every version. "I'm so fucked up" is direct and blunt, but maybe a little too much and a lot of people I know kinda laugh at it. But something like "I am scum", while more accurate, it does sound a little unnatural the way it's presented in english. That's why I'm trying to find these different translations to get a better perspective on the whole movie.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:34 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ Then don't use the "fucked up" translation. I actually use the translation "I am scum," or "I am the lowest." The "scum" reference, to me anyway, always felt more emotionally vulnerable.

Yeah, from an artistic standpoint, "I am scum" is better.. but "I'm so fucked up" is the thing people seem to remember the most from this show—or, at least, the thing they quote the most. Wouldn't something that leaves that big an impression have value?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:13 pm

It's a non-issue for me, really. The line conveys the same thing no matter what. Though, there is something to be said about Amanda's attempts to possibly lighten the mood of EoE, whether it be with a "fucked up" line or a nickelodeon "SPLAT" sound effect in the English track. The "fucked up" line might have been Amanda's way of lightening the mood after such a cold and raw open. That's probably why it was so impactful to begin with.

So , I guess it really only matters what you're going with when it comes to the subs.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:32 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The "fucked up" line might have been Amanda's way of lightening the mood after such a cold and raw open. That's probably why it was so impactful to begin with.

She said in the audio commentary that "I'm so fucked up" sounded more natural coming out of a fourteen year old boy's mouth than "I'm the lowest." (I honestly don't know if "I'm scum" occurred to her, since I don't recall that phrase being mentioned in the audio commentary.)

You're onto something, though, in regards to why it had an impact. I personally don't consider vulgarities to be inherently amusing. I mean, I did at one point in time, but then they got old. Maybe they haven't gotten old for everyone else?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:37 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:She said in the audio commentary that "I'm so fucked up" sounded more natural coming out of a fourteen year old boy's mouth than "I'm the lowest." (I honestly don't know if "I'm scum" occurred to her, since I don't recall that phrase being mentioned in the audio commentary.)

I don't suppose I was a typical 14yo any more than I'm a typical anything else; I expect I would have come out with something along the lines of "I'm so awful!" But that has little impact, I agree.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:42 pm

Yeah, there are plenty of other lines to get caught up on for the sake of accuracy in EoE, so much so that getting hung up on "fucked up" is a little too nit-picky for me. I personally use "scum" in my subs, but that's just where I come from. The real reason why that line in any English translation carries any meaningful impact is simply what precedes it. It doesn't matter which English translation of the self-deprecating line is spoken after Shinji wanks over a girl in a hospital bed with her lights out, it's gonna leave an impact. "Fuck up" just so happened to be the one that got the most circulation.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:35 am

With all I've learned about translation over the years, I can't find any fault with "I'm so fucked up". It's simple, effective, and fluent. One could complain about the cursing, I suppose, but the idea that Shinji is saying something uncharacteristic is perfectly in keeping with the original. It's the only time he calls himself "ore" rather than "boku", after all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:53 pm

There is a problem with translating Japanese bad language into English, since even the strongest would come over, in literal* translation, as just slightly brusque or timorously impolite. Translation has to recalibrate based on how strong the language is in its context to something with similar force for the audience (implied, "know your audience").

*inasmuch as you can literally translate things like gradations in politeness of pronoun forms, verb declensions, or choice of honorific, for example.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:34 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:For the EoE blu-ray I have

http://3xrani.me/subs/EOE.English.zip -- mostly unchanged from the Manga translation, just retimed
http://pastebin.com/VWJtYAf6 -- based on bochan_bird's translation of the screenplay, may have some timing issues

Hey Mr. Times, is the second one just the old Anime Central subs?
Do you guys knows if there are any other subs around better than the old manga/adv subs and Central Anime/Bochan around?

I'm working on creating a new sub from scratch using a mix of these two subs, bochan's updated script from Evaotaku (as reference, since they use an improper language for a subtitle) as well as a mix of lines collected from the forum archive's search for specific translation discussion of individual sentences, not to mention some touches of my own Japanese (with the help of an dictionary and a couple of friends since I'm not fluent).

I wonder if there is yet another better script around for me to base off.

Well, I'm no native English speaker, nor Japanese, but it seems that no one else have done any half decent updated .ass file besides some half-ass typesetting to the ancient manga subs used by BLOAT. So while my work will hardly be polished to the level of what we all want for a subtitle, it still should be better than those two ancient scripts we all have around. I'm actually doing mostly for actually translating to my own language, but I decided to do a double script with update English first as I work my way with a Japanese for translating it to Portuguese.

I'm looking on a more literal translation, not word by word such as the level of the literal translation project, of course, but since I know some Japanese, to the point of understanding 80% of the dialogues, it always annoys me when the translation is too much off/adapted or even out of order to what the characters are actually saying, It ends up distracting me as I shift my attention to the subs to try and find out what part of the dialogue It matched with.

View Original PostReichu wrote:With all I've learned about translation over the years, I can't find any fault with "I'm so fucked up". It's simple, effective, and fluent. One could complain about the cursing, I suppose, but the idea that Shinji is saying something uncharacteristic is perfectly in keeping with the original. It's the only time he calls himself "ore" rather than "boku", after all.

I don't have a problem with swearing adaptations to English, ちくしょう for example, in most cases should defenetely be translated as "shit", on Episode 19, Asuka for example when losing her arms to Zeruel, I would translate the line in my own language as "Filho da Puta" (son of a bitch/prostitute). But I don't particularly like the "i'm so fucked up" from manga's translation, I still prefer a more neutral "I'm the worst" for さいてい.

But I agree with FreakyFilmFan4ever that the "I'm fucked up" line is not really that important. Badly translated lines such as when Shinji is explaining why he wants humanity to come back, which have an ambiguity for the term "tanin" which none of the three scripts I found around really sounds good enough, not to mention the infamous mistakenly translation of Misato's explanation about the humanity being the 18th angel, where the Manga translation implied Lilith came from Adam.
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:27 am

View Original Postsephirotic wrote:Hey Mr. Times, is the second one just the old Anime Central subs?
It's my own edit where I took the timings of the former subs and replaced the lines with those from the bochan_bird script, with my own guesses at the times of background announcements which weren't in the first script.

(as reference, since they use an improper language for a subtitle)

My choice for that line in the pastebin was

Code: Select all

Dialogue: 0,0:04:06.05,0:04:08.06,Default,,0,0,0,,I... I'm scum...

the infamous mistakenly translation of Misato's explanation about the humanity being the 18th angel
which was my primary justification for doing a home-brew to go along with the better video from the BD.

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Accurate End of Evangelion subtitles

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Well, I have spent some good amount of time building new subtitles for EoE triple comparing the existing scripts from Manga Entertainment, Central Anime, and Evaotakus' bochan_bird translation.

None of the 3 scripts are good enough to be used entirely by itself. bochan_bird overall I think is the best but it's not in an appropriate subtitle-style of writing and there are several occasions where he also adapts too much and kills some important ambiguity IMO. Notably, on the final third of episode 26', when Kaworu and Rei are making an exposition to Shinji. In such cases I have used lines from either the older Central Anime or Manga's. Bochan's even had two mistakes I could spot, one which is Kaworu's line answering Shinji when he asks: "who are you within my heart?" The correct translation for kaworu's line would be: "Together with the words "I love you" After Rei said they are Hope, but bochan translated it as: "And the words "I love you'" As if Kaworu and Rei are LITERALLY the expression "sukida".

Anyway, I have used my (somewhat limited) knowledge in Japanese, together with a Kanji dictionary to triple check all lines with all scripts and in some cases even built some sentences from scratch. I found two guys that helped me out checking the English phrases and I'm now overall happy with the subs. It's still not perfect, but definitely better than any script/sub we ever had so far. Improved timing and ts is also a big thing in this subs, as previous subs were bad in those aspects, but ideally, someone with proper knowledge in Japanese should take a look, it would be great if Reichu could also check it.

I'll post the latest version of the subs here, if any of you would like to take a look and make comments will only help to improve it further:
https://mega.nz/#F!3kQChSjB!JYZ0Zb-81RMjJSygIwrzRw

EDIT:
FINAL 1.0 VERSION IS FINALLY OUT!!
Too bad the thread is getting dust, so I decided to make a new thread, I'm sorry if this wasn't an adequate move.
post/835245/The-newest-most-accurate-EoE-subs-to-date-are-out/#835245
Re-watching Eva since 1999

Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

Re: Accurate End of Evangelion subtitles

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:59 am

I've created a set of subtitles for The End of Evangelion. It's an amalgamation of eight different translation sources, exhibiting what I believe to be the best that each one has to offer. The result is a unique blend that I think is the best translation of the movie.

Download

Website

Discussion

As for the controversial translation from the opening hospital scene discussed earlier, the adaptation I came up with for Shinji's line is, "I'm worse than shit."
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Digitally Re-Created VHS Subtitles
The End of Evangelion: Fansub Amalgamation
Evangelion fan since 1996. Former Eva Mailing List member (late '90s).

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”