Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:45 am

New forum, new wackiness.

This is the topic where people complain about shit that doesn't work right, and then those of us who can maybe fix it try our best to do so.

As of this post, we've just finished the migration not only to a new server but to new software, which required some modification to get familiar features reimplemented. These modifications were done by me on a tight schedule and so might not have perfect results -- I discovered a bug myself (and fixed it) before the new instance went live.

Notice something wacky? Let me know.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:46 am

When a forum has no new posts, but one of its sub-forums does, the icon is all red, rather than just red for the sub-forum mark.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:04 am

It's begun already? :faint: But it's only my first day!

That's default behavior -- but pretty stupid default behavior. Might be a setting for that, but somehow I doubt it. It's on my to-do list.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:23 am

It's not entirely stupid; it shows the state of that branch of the tree, propagated back to the level of display - just another way of doing things (and the one I prefer myself).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:29 am

:kaos_pout: B-b-but then I click on the main forum expecting to see posts in there, and then when I don't I get all let down!
System Administrator

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:33 am

The joy of a treasure hunt!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:01 am

Discovered a bug with my custom quotelink extension when a post has multiple cited quotes. Also just so people know, it's not set up to parse correctly in preview mode -- you won't see a link flag next to the quoted person's name there.
System Administrator

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:05 am

It's better than i imagined. The only problem for me is the bar which has the private messages, notifications etc. For some strange reason in the middle is empty (total blank). I have the impression that the search function was there but i really don't remember.

Also either some of my options have been reset or this new edition has notifications too for messages (i never seen any notification for messages in the previous forum).
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:13 pm

Change in behaviour -- external links used to open in a new tab; now they open in the same one.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Xposting from other thread, I can't stay logged in. If I close the tab I have to re-enter my username/pass.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:05 pm

"Users browsing this forum" appears to be broken.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Under Notifications, I have Monk Ed replied to me in "Our Third Impact is Nigh.." thread, but then when I click on it I go to a post of pwhodges in The Pen-Pen picture thread.

Sorry if someone already said something about it. Just reporting some wackiness.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:29 pm

Emoticons are unsorted.

New posts don't stick out, so it's hard to tell at a glance what's new and what isn't.

No mail server.

No wiki.

Broken links (though I understand DNS propagation takes time, and this should resolve itself).

Links don't open in a separate tab. Super low priority, but it's a nice feature to have.

Basically, I feel like i should be able to tell what's going on in the forums with a glance at the Board Index page, and I currently can't. That bugs me; I have to go to a dropdown and click on "View unread posts" to see it, instead of having subforums (and threads within those forums) highlighted when new posts show up. This is a very minor issue, but it goes a long way toward making forum navigation easier.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Wiki is unchanged as yet; the link is just missing. I shall fix that in the next day or so, along with exposing the unread posts link and adding the main forum search.

The index has highlights for forums with unread posts in them (though post in subforums cause the top-level forum to be marked).

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:37 pm

I'm not staying logged in at all. I have to re-enter my login details every time I open the EGF tab, even if I have one tab logged in and a second tab open.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Is this a browser-specific problem? I'm on Chrome and there's been no issue; didn't even have to wipe my cookies.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:42 pm

I'm using Firefox, same as I've always done.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:03 pm

I'm using Chrome and having the same problem.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:24 pm

Where the hell are the sent messages in my outbox? I needed to have them, and they're gone. I told you this forum switcharoo was a bad idea.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:45 pm

You referring to this? (Naturally, the tab is "Private Messages".) All of mine seemed in-tact, as far as I could immediately tell.

I think the new layout has everybody tripped up, for what it's worth.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”