If he's actually alive... [Kaji and Misato's relationship]

The fate of SPOILERS is also the joy of speculation.
Readers enter at their own risk.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

IfallOnTragedy
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 29
Joined: May 28, 2015

If he's actually alive... [Kaji and Misato's relationship]

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby IfallOnTragedy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:32 am

So if Kaji turns out to be alive and well in Final (which I'm sure, most people are in the agreement that he is) then what is now the relationship between Misato and Kaji, 14 years later? What assumptions can we make from the little interactions they have between each other in the second movie plus hints in the third?

One of the Wunder bridge technicians (Takao) namedropped Kaji in the third movie, saying that he heard about Misato's captain skills from Kaji, so it makes you wonder: what's the nature of their relationship that Takao would be familiar with Kaji but not Misato, since both Kaji and Misato work for Wille and you would assume they're in close contact with each other? Do they not see each other often, even though both work for Wille? Are they together, stronger than before, or separated?

For some strange reason, the Wikipedia page for 2.0 falsely states that: "Misato does not restart her romantic relationship with Kaji." However, this is simply not true. In the second movie, the sexual themes are removed between Misato and Kaji, but there is clearly something romantic bubbling, and unlike the show Misato is quick to warm up again: going on dates, blushing. (IIRC, the lyrics of song that plays in the bar they go drinking at is supposed to be about their relationship). It seems as if Anno cut out all the fat in their relationship to prep us for a new kind of romantic relationship between them in the final movie, but still, there are so many unanswered questions.
Last edited by IfallOnTragedy on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unz
Israfel
Israfel
Posts: 458
Joined: Aug 31, 2015
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby unz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:51 am

The name was likely dropped to suggest Kaji will appear in final, possibly for you to fear for an escalation if EoE is of any indication and set Misato in some revenge path but who knows. They are in their mid fourties but I can't guess stuff, I just think they'll be too late to work on anything they achieved because tragedy. Also Misato doesn't seem to be married.

There might be an agenda Misato is no aware of because Kaji and mari use each other and Misato is either his left or right hand (yet it's mari the one being an extension of both Asuka and Kaji). We don't know how much the characters know about everything and everyone - they all look pretty aware so what does Kaji do to matter at all?

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 1132
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

Re: If he's actually alive... [Kaji and Misato's relationshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:28 pm

View Original PostIfallOnTragedy wrote:One of the Wunder bridge technicians (Takao) namedropped Kaji in the third movie, saying that he heard about Misato's captain skills from Kaji, so it makes you wonder: what's the nature of their relationship that Takao would be familiar with Kaji but not Misato, since both Kaji and Misato work for Wille and you would assume they're in close contact with each other? Do they not see each other often, even though both work for Wille? Are they together, stronger than before, or separated?


If Koji is one of Kaji's old contacts or one of the people he met in the intelligence business, then it's entirely possible that he'd know Kaji but only know of Misato.

Kaji and Misato strike me as the sort of people who are very passionate together but just can't do the married couple kind of life. Partly because of their personal issues, but mostly because they're both really busy and important people so there's not a lot of personal time to be had.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

IfallOnTragedy
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 29
Joined: May 28, 2015

Re: If he's actually alive... [Kaji and Misato's relationshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby IfallOnTragedy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:40 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:If Koji is one of Kaji's old contacts or one of the people he met in the intelligence business, then it's entirely possible that he'd know Kaji but only know of Misato.

Kaji and Misato strike me as the sort of people who are very passionate together but just can't do the married couple kind of life. Partly because of their personal issues, but mostly because they're both really busy and important people so there's not a lot of personal time to be had.


That can be true.

However, to me 14 years is more than enough time to get over personal issues, especially personal issues that were never much of a big deal in Rebuild anyway, not like NGE. Remember Kaji is the one who tells Shinji about how Misato hates her father, not Misato herself; meaning that, Misato didn't withhold this information from Kaji like she did in NGE, and overall, Kaji and Misato are already closer and more comfortable around each other.

I didn't say anything about marriage. Two people often choose to stay together but not get married for whatever reason. Doubt marriage has much of a place in society after Third Impact too.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
Age: 34
Posts: 22335
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: 高地園、新槍ノ島
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:47 pm

View Original Postunz wrote:Also Misato doesn't seem to be married.

How do you figure?

My head canon is that, as per the post-2.0 preview, the Nerv staff were held captive following near 3I, Misato among them. Kaji and his people bust them out. As soon as they're able, he and Misato make sweet, sweet love. They invariably part ways soon after to do their respective anti-Seele/Nerv stuff. As per the common trope, Misato gets pregnant from a single encounter and ends up seeking Kaji out again. The deal they work out is that Misato will carry to term, but Kaji will do the rearing, since he'd be able to keep the child out of direct line of fire. We'll meet up with Kaji and Kajiragi Jr. in the last movie, natch. The kid, regardless of sex, will be named "Akira" in honor of

*forum guns Reichu down*
Avatar: None at the moment.
Crying Man
(Or, How Misato's Dad Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft, 10/?? chapters done. Ch.10 released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 1132
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

Re: If he's actually alive... [Kaji and Misato's relationshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:37 pm

I almost made a joke about Kaji being a stay at home dad in the next movie. :lol:

View Original PostIfallOnTragedy wrote:I didn't say anything about marriage. Two people often choose to stay together but not get married for whatever reason. Doubt marriage has much of a place in society after Third Impact too.


I wasn't implying that they were actually married, though I suppose they could be. Kaji wouldn't be the first Eva man to take on his wife's name if that were the case. I was using it as a shorthand for them living together as a couple (married or not) and keeping house. I see them in a...perpetual dating kind of relationship. Together as a couple, but not actually living together or anything like that.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

unz
Israfel
Israfel
Posts: 458
Joined: Aug 31, 2015
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby unz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:48 pm

I brought marriage up because that regards how far their relationship has gone I guess.
Q throws some polyamory imagery so Idk it supports that party.
I think I remember riz calling Misato "captain katsuragi" and that might be a clue she never got shit done but to be honest Idk how Japanese people deal with last names.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
Age: 34
Posts: 22335
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: 高地園、新槍ノ島
Gender: Female

Re: If he's actually alive... [Kaji and Misato's relationshi

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:25 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I wasn't implying that they were actually married, though I suppose they could be. Kaji wouldn't be the first Eva man to take on his wife's name if that were the case.

No reason they couldn't just keep their respective surnames, either.
Avatar: None at the moment.
Crying Man
(Or, How Misato's Dad Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft, 10/?? chapters done. Ch.10 released 5/24/2017.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

unz
Israfel
Israfel
Posts: 458
Joined: Aug 31, 2015
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby unz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:35 pm

I kind of forgot but I guess they failed as surrogate parents.
Idk they are pretty manipulative so what's the most exciting direction to get us tragedy? How much can they achieve before being too late at whatever? Is Kaji alive only to sacrifice himself so she can sacrifice to whatever because...?
There's a bunch of failed relationships Kaji and Misato may fit in if meant to end or mirror others.
Last edited by unz on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God
Age: 23
Posts: 5812
Joined: Feb 10, 2014
Location: USA
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:39 pm

I'd imagine their relationship is strained at best, to outright fractured, to no longer existing.

Leading a campaign against the literal END OF THE FREAKING WORLD doesn't exactly leave much time for letting yourself have human emotions or have a family.


On top of that, Misato is at least in her forties now. Even if she and Kaji did get married, that's kind've a late age to be starting a family. Assuming she gets married with Kaji and has a kid right after they win the war (assuming Anno doesn't kill her and the whole cast off) she's going to be in her sixties by the time the kid graduates college.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Avatar:
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

IfallOnTragedy
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 29
Joined: May 28, 2015

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby IfallOnTragedy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:43 pm

View Original Postunz wrote:I kind of forgot but I guess they failed as surrogate parents.
Idk they are pretty manipulative so what's the most exciting direction to get us tragedy? How much can they achieve before being too late at whatever? Is Kaji alive only to sacrifice himself so she can sacrifice to whatever because...?


To say that Kaji's only purpose in Rebuild is to die for Misato is a little misguided I think. We're not in NGE anymore, things are progressing quite differently and in 2.0 they did elevate Kaji's standing from simple outsider mole to the Chief Inspector in Rebuild with many connections to other groups and Mari. To save him for the last movie only to kill him off within the same movie would be in bad taste. They're planning something I think.

Assuming she gets married with Kaji and has a kid right after they win the war (assuming Anno doesn't kill her and the whole cast off) she's going to be in her sixties by the time the kid graduates college.


And this isn't normal? My parents were in their sixties when I was in my twenties, it's quite common. Rarely do working women have children in their early twenties anymore. Also, staying together as a couple for that long doesn't mean marriage or even children.
Last edited by IfallOnTragedy on Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unz
Israfel
Israfel
Posts: 458
Joined: Aug 31, 2015
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby unz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:44 pm

I wouldn't apply real world logic, it doesn't find rules and they are all meant to die because the narrative requires it
only to deny it at the latest possible chance

" To say that Kaji's only purpose in Rebuild is to die for Misato is a little misguided I think. We're not in NGE anymore, things are progressing quite differently and in 2.0 they did elevate Kaji's standing from simple outsider mole to the Chief Inspector in Rebuild with many connections to other groups and Mari. To save him for the last movie only to kill him off within the same movie would be in bad taste. They're planning something I think."

I agree.
Kaji was kind of useless though. He did have a talk with Shinji and we did get mirrored sprinkling/00 head frames but Mari is the one doing the work for him pushing things further (the dramatic hand stuff wasn't planned but she basically stole his role and killed an angel at the beginning) so that makes you wonder what is mari doing in Q other than supporting the girls he asked Shinji to defend.

Arcadia's legacy
Tabris
Tabris
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 966
Joined: Jun 12, 2015
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:19 pm

View Original Postunz wrote:what is mari doing in Q other than supporting the girls he asked Shinji to defend.

Oh she's doing more than just supporting them :shifty:
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come

IfallOnTragedy
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 29
Joined: May 28, 2015

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby IfallOnTragedy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:27 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I'd imagine their relationship is strained at best, to outright fractured, to no longer existing.

Leading a campaign against the literal END OF THE FREAKING WORLD doesn't exactly leave much time for letting yourself have human emotions or have a family.


I don't quite understand this very well. If they're working both together to fight against the end of the world in a organization group that Kaji himself probably created with Misato's help, how does that somehow invalidate their feelings as years go by? I don't think the point of protecting the world is not to have human relationships, support systems are key.

Just because of Misato's demeanor in the third movie was skewed, doesn't mean she doesn't have good relationships or is crotchety towards everyone outside of the Wunder.

Rei IV
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1892
Joined: Dec 04, 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rei IV » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:36 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:How do you figure?

My head canon is that, as per the post-2.0 preview, the Nerv staff were held captive following near 3I, Misato among them. Kaji and his people bust them out. As soon as they're able, he and Misato make sweet, sweet love. They invariably part ways soon after to do their respective anti-Seele/Nerv stuff. As per the common trope, Misato gets pregnant from a single encounter and ends up seeking Kaji out again. The deal they work out is that Misato will carry to term, but Kaji will do the rearing, since he'd be able to keep the child out of direct line of fire. We'll meet up with Kaji and Kajiragi Jr. in the last movie, natch. The kid, regardless of sex, will be named "Akira" in honor of

*forum guns Reichu down*

LOL. Somewhere out there is Anno is no doubt writing this down on his notes as we speak.
Last edited by Rei IV on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Miss Rei Ayanami stares into your soul"

unz
Israfel
Israfel
Posts: 458
Joined: Aug 31, 2015
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby unz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:28 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Oh she's doing more than just supporting them :shifty:


can't blame them

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 18
Posts: 1115
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: United States
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:25 pm

View Original PostIfallOnTragedy wrote:I don't quite understand this very well. If they're working both together to fight against the end of the world in a organization group that Kaji himself probably created with Misato's help, how does that somehow invalidate their feelings as years go by? I don't think the point of protecting the world is not to have human relationships, support systems are key.

Just because of Misato's demeanor in the third movie was skewed, doesn't mean she doesn't have good relationships or is crotchety towards everyone outside of the Wunder.


To go on with what Ray said, it's made apparent that they have been running in the Wunder from a Neo Nerv for a while, this is of course before they get Unit 01 and now the Wunder can defend themselves. But we don't know how long Neo Nerv has had this upperhand against Wille.

To take a middle apporach to what you two are saying. If Kaji and Misato had/have a relationship by the time 4.0 roles around. It isn't a strong/close as it has been in the past. It's understandable that in the time right before Operation US, Wille has had little time to themselves.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

IfallOnTragedy
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 29
Joined: May 28, 2015

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby IfallOnTragedy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:59 am

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:To go on with what Ray said, it's made apparent that they have been running in the Wunder from a Neo Nerv for a while, this is of course before they get Unit 01 and now the Wunder can defend themselves. But we don't know how long Neo Nerv has had this upperhand against Wille.

To take a middle apporach to what you two are saying. If Kaji and Misato had/have a relationship by the time 4.0 roles around. It isn't a strong/close as it has been in the past. It's understandable that in the time right before Operation US, Wille has had little time to themselves.


IIRC the Wunder is brand spanking new. It was still being formatted, never been piloted, it was used for the first time in the third movie.

Nevertheless. I can't see why Anno would make changes to their relationship in the second movie by making it more solidly romantic if he wasn't planning on having them together in the third film. Kaji was always the "Hikoboshi" to Misato's "Orihime" after all, in the words of Misato and Shinji's seiyu. And in Rebuild Anno does seem heavy set on eternal lovers by fate imagery. No use in making changes to their relationship if that's the case.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Posts: 4226
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: At the Movies
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Pretty sure Kaji's alive & that he's going to be the one to give Shinji some major exposition. He's always been the one adult who openly speaks to Shinji. That was kinda his whole deal in 2.0.

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 18
Posts: 1115
Joined: Aug 12, 2014
Location: United States
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:13 pm

View Original PostIfallOnTragedy wrote:IIRC the Wunder is brand spanking new. It was still being formatted, never been piloted, it was used for the first time in the third movie.



Ok to put this to rest, the Wunder is new because it was built in the 14 years between 2 and 3. We as the viewer have no indication when it was completed, so it's up in the air. But I hardly believe that it was completed a few months before the start of 3.0. However the reason why it was being formatted and never was piloted before was because they didn't have the right power source for it aka Eva-01. They were still using it as a ship and as Ritsuko says they have been on the run. So they have had the Wunder for a while before 3.0 started.

As for Kaji, I bet he doesn't even appear in 4.0, but it's never made clear if he is alive or dead. As for the relationship, well we explored it in NGE, and we could assume it's almost the same in NTE even if more offscreen.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel


Return to “Evangelion Final [SPOILERS]”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests