Confused about Rei's water jug

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Confused about Rei's water jug

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:43 pm

One recurring visual motif in both NGE and NTE is a glass jug Rei keeps with her at home. I remember reading somewhere that the water in the jug represents the state of Lilith's soul in Rei with half full being half a soul (Rei II), completely full being a whole soul (Rei III) and empty being soulless (Rei Q). However, I've recently watched episode 17, and when we see the jug it appears to be full. So is there information lost on me or am i simply misinterpreting?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:07 pm

The container is called a "beaker" (a "jug" is something quite different). The significance of this is that beakers are used to measure liquid or granular quantities in a laboratory. We see a naked Rei sitting next to a beaker in the OP, and we also see one in the "room where Rei was born". The most obvious connection is that it is a visual signifier of her laboratory origins. It containing water and refracting light (cf. Shinji Gets Boob scene in #05) also ties into Ritsuko's comment about "The water and light that form Rei's subconscious".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:16 pm

I always imagined she keeps the beaker in her room because she has some form of OCD and needs her room to be decorated like the one she was created in or she freaks out. I have mental images of her staring at the beaker for long periods of time whenever she comes home, trying to determine whether or not it's been moved and making sure it has exactly the right amount of water in it.

But yeah, it symbolizes her subconscious and her soul. Maybe it being full in episode 17 has something to do with her being happy about what Shinji did for her by cleaning up her apartment?
[Redacted]

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:50 pm

Everyone is getting so deep. I just always figured it's what she drinks water out of. Or at least she uses that water to help take her pills since the beaker is always placed right next to them. Rei strikes me as the kind of girl who wouldn't have any glasses or mugs of her own. She'd just take one from the lab one day & use that.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”