Star Wars Battlefront

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Star Wars Battlefront

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:42 am

Oh my, there isn't a Star Wars Battlefront thread yet? Shame, because I don't have too much to say about it yet.

Just wanted to say that it's dope. Pretty much what I wanted and expected, with some cool bonuses thrown in. Played a couple missions, both online and solo, and got a feel for it. The heroes could be better, but I'm not complaining either; I think I still just have to get used to them. I'm looking forward to leveling up my character and unlocking new weapons and such. Oh, and I guess I should mention that the game is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I'll keep playing this one for a while to come, if only for the Star Wars aesthetic.

Alright, now it's back to Fallout 4 for the foreseeable future.

For you PS4 players, add me: Oswald_theKaiju. Although, I don't think I'll be online too much too soon due to the aforementioned Fallout binging. I would still love to play with/against my fellow Evageeks at some point though!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:37 am

Looks too muddled to be a good shooter

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:51 am

Been too busy with BF2 honestly in regards to those games, too busy killing Merri and Dog.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Game looks great, but I probably won't be getting it until January or February. Been spending too much money getting games on release day lately. If I have enough left over after getting presents for others I might buy Battlefront as a Christmas present to myself, but I don't know yet. Maybe I'll be able to find a good Black Friday deal on it like I found for The Witcher 3 ($25 at Wal-mart on Thanksgiving and Friday).

When I do get the game I'll probably be flying TIE Interceptors for the Empire most of the time. I love flying those into battle. The CIS used to be my favorite faction to play as in the first 2, but since that's no longer an option I'll probably be siding with the Empire.
[Redacted]

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:15 pm

It's everything I've always wanted for Battlefront. Although I will say I miss large A.I. on A.I. battles, and Command Post styled games. I wasn't anticipating that stuff being in the game though, so can't be upset it isn't there like most other old school Battlefront players. All I wanted was Battlefield with lasers and stormtroopers.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:51 pm

View Original Postunz wrote:Looks too muddled to be a good shooter

Muddled in what way?

The display is wide and open, with a minimalist HUD. The maps are well designed and easy to move around in. The combat is actually a lot of fun, and challenging as well. Being careful, working together and taking cover is effective.

My only complaint at the moment is that I wish the number of kill assists would also display on the scoreboard, but meh.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:20 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Muddled in what way?

The display is wide and open, with a minimalist HUD.

It would be hilarious if it was muddled that way but I'm talking about the design part limiting or not having anything to do with the fps one.
Granted, battlefront is not alone so mhe but I'll probably rant on it one day or another.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:12 pm

I've heard disconcerting rumors that there are only 4 worlds (2 maps for each) in the base game. Is this true?
[Redacted]

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:26 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:I've heard disconcerting rumors that there are only 4 worlds (2 maps for each) in the base game. Is this true?

Pretty much. But there's several different game types for each map. I'm pretty sure the DLC's will have new worlds and maps as well.
- Sachi

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:40 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Pretty much. But there's several different game types for each map. I'm pretty sure the DLC's will have new worlds and maps as well.

Hmm, I see. I'm going to watch some gameplay videos to make up my mind on it, but I'll most likely wait until it hits $30 or wait for the Complete Edition (if EA even does that sort of thing with their games).
[Redacted]

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Played some of it. My impressions are...not really sure what to think. I haven't done everything available, but the maps I played so far feel pretty flat so to speak, and though I actually think aerial fights are really cool, I don't know if there's just enough stuff in them.

Going to try some more, since I do think the game plays well and I want to unlock more stuff, but otherwise I'm pretty lukewarm towards it at the moment.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:49 am

Ok I watched several gameplay videos, and... yep, I'll wait until it's about half-price or wait for a complete edition. The game is gorgeous, but the maps are very few and the gameplay looks like it would get old really fast with the limited scenery. Aerial combat looks a great deal more sluggish than I was expecting, and the confinement of the maps give it the goldfish-in-a-bowl feel. I saw a lot of circling around and looping back and forth. In Battlefront 2 the space battles gave fighters plenty of room to dogfight, but it doesn't look like that's the case here. So far the only advantage I can see over Battlefront 2 is the graphics, and if that's the case I'll stick with Battlefront 2 for the time being.

Jeez, what is it this year with all these highly-anticipated games turning out to be somewhat disappointing?
[Redacted]

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:04 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Jeez, what is it this year with all these highly-anticipated games turning out to be somewhat disappointing?

You set your expectations too high. I got everything I wanted and more with Arkham Knight and Fallout 4. I didn't expect a lot from Battlefront, so what I got is quite satisfying. The only game I've been truly disappointed with this year has been Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5.
- Sachi

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:23 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Jeez, what is it this year with all these highly-anticipated games turning out to be somewhat disappointing?

Arkham Knight, Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider all got great reception both from the press and the fans. Even Assassins Creed Syndicate that most people thought it will be a broken bad game, turned out to be one of the best games in the franchise.

Only MGSV, Halo 5 and Battlefront got mixed reception. MGSV got good reviews but mixed reception from the fans, Halo 5 has very good multiplayer but not so good single player (but it's like this with every Halo after Halo 2) and for Battlefront it's still a bit early but the reception is not so good.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:03 am

^MGSV has great gameplay but due to the Konami/Kojima split several crucial story segments were cut out entirely, which is part of the reason it has such a mixed reception.

Halo V has a bizarre main campaign storyline which is very poorly written, but has good multiplayer.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:18 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:You set your expectations too high.

Eh, if expecting games in prestigious series to live up to their pedigree is wrong, I don't want to be right. Battlefront only needed to be as good as its predecessor, a game released in 2005 that runs on 6th-gen consoles. Somehow EA failed to make it happen in 2015 on vastly more powerful 8th-gen consoles. I suspect rushing it out before the movie had a lot to do with this. Hopefully the DLC will vastly improve the content, but until then I'll wait.

On the bright side, Sullust looks like a really fun map.

@Dima: Yeah I was mainly thinking of Fallout 4, MGS5, and Battlefront. I hear nothing but praise about The Witcher 3, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the good reception AC: Syndicate got. I'm going to try to get TW3 on Thanksgiving or Black Friday, and I'll be getting Syndicate within the next couple of months as well.
[Redacted]

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:17 am

So I haven't watched more than 2 minutes of battlefront, waiting for the rps rant
www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/19/star-wars-battlefront-pc-review/
And I don't find anything ambiguous about it, thought it wasn't more than a trendy game (because of design reasons not having anything to do with fps design the review describes in more detail) but you do get interesting modes, asymmetrical modes are a late trend indeed and nothing still tops things like The Hidden Source or NS2's The Faded but I guess it's nice for star wars fans.

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:43 pm

What we've got here is a great videogame and an AMAZING star wars experience, the likes of which I've been waiting for since I was a pup. But... I just don't think it's a very good sequel. So many of the things I've come to love Battlefront for just aren't here.

But oh my god it is funballs, ya'll.
Set phasers to thrill.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:05 am

So... has anyone here won Walker Assault on Endor as Imperials yet?
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:22 am

View Original PostGlor wrote:So... has anyone here won Walker Assault on Endor as Imperials yet?

I've won as the Empire, but I've only played once or twice just to check it out. I don't even think I've played as the Rebels yet.
- Sachi

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”