Guf in Antarctica

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Guf in Antarctica

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:52 am

Anyone have any idea as to what happened to the door of Guf over Antarctica when Third Impact started?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:29 pm

Given it wasn't shown there are no changes to report so...I guess it's open?

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:37 pm

IIRC, Ritsuko refers to Unit 01's awakening as a "continuation" of Second Impact. This suggests that the door closes over Antarctica and re-opens over Tokyo-3

The fact that the door closes for both N3I, 3I and 4I begs the question, what was keeping the door open after 2I?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:44 pm

I'm not clear that the different impacts are even essentially different in any way. As far as I can see, the naming of the event before Q as 3I and the one at the end of Ha as N3I is only done to confuse us along with Shinji.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:49 pm

Yeah, they haven't covered it for some reason but it probably stays there until the trigger is dead or it's opened again.
I don't know what's the guf purpose though, Q's impact was planned from seele and kaworu since 1.11 so I guess the eva curse gives space to either mari or whatever "back up" for involvement with the second impact.

Kaworu on the other hand says something like "it's the third child again you never change yadayada".

The fishy part is "let me guess, the boy as awakened" which are either bad subs or a giveaway about Shinji and/or kaworu's coffins.
But it's played after Shinji turns out hero after seeing Rei in distress so it's a bit funny
Last edited by unz on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Well, all of the Doors we've seen so far have been opened by an Adam. Maybe the missing one is still down there holding the door open, but impaled on a Lance and stuck in semi-stasis like Eva 13? But if that's what it is, why did they just leave it there for so long, and where did it go? Could that be where the Angels are coming from? :huh:

It has a couple of odd features compared to the other two doors we've seen too. The rings are completely stationary instead of radiating out from the center. It even looks like there's a frozen debris field in the outermost ring. There are also those four dark reddish crucifixes jutting up out of the center. Eva 13's door had those, but they were arranged around that dark object in the middle like wheel spokes, and Eva 01's was totally empty. They kind of look like signal termination plugs, but they'd have to be way more massive if Gendo and Fuyutsuki can see them that far away.

SPOILER: Show

It also looks like there's a glowing x-shaped fissure open on the ground underneath with regular markings along each arm. Somehow that massive blast in Misato's flashback didn't destroy Antarctica!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:08 am

I have no idea what the crucifixes are for other than symbolize death or something. Actually it's one big sacrifice. It just reminded me of the tesseract at the beginning of Q.
Also Idk about an adam clone triggering second impact, maybe that was the time adam split into more selves in Ha's flashback (mhe is this when Shinji is born according to anima?).
Btw is there a way gendo covering his (red?) eyes and for the key of nabucodonosor to fit in at all into triggering impacts?
Now I don' t remember the lances names but apparently there are more lances of the same kind inQ, or at least some lances morph according to something.

edit

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:IIRC, Ritsuko refers to Unit 01's awakening as a "continuation" of Second Impact. This suggests that the door closes over Antarctica and re-opens over Tokyo-3

The fact that the door closes for both N3I, 3I and 4I begs the question, what was keeping the door open after 2I?

Btw, I had some time to watch Q with uwthora subs and Kaworu says he' ll close the doors, plural.
Can't be sure he means all the doors or just the new one or if I can rely on subs.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:11 am

View Original Postunz wrote:Btw, I had some time to watch Q with uwthora subs and Kaworu says he' ll close the doors, plural.

The original form doesn't specify number of doors; it's just tobira. Given the context, we can probably assume he's talking about the tobira they're dealing with in that scene.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:37 am

Double doors to a single opening are common, so saying "close the doors" is not so unnatural in English when referring to a large or important opening.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:35 am

From a certain perspective one could consider the emanating rings to be "doors", yes, but since the 2.0 storyboard confirms that the black void is the "door", these sorts of semantic arguments are beside the point. :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”