Anima and Rebuild: Similarities and Shared Ideas

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Anima and Rebuild: Similarities and Shared Ideas

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Branching off from the Anima general thread here.

As was pointed out in that thread, Anima and the Rebuild/NTE films share a number of ideas, with concepts introduced in one later popping up in the other. I thought it might be useful to catalog some of these elements in their own thread so they're much easier to find. I've put together a bunch of images for an easier direct comparison and included the dates for the Anima chapters so you can see when they were published relative to the movies.

Here's an overview of the release dates for each:

Films:
1.11: September 01, 2007
2.22: June 27, 2009
3.33: November 17, 2012
3.0+1.0: TBD

Anima
Section 1: January 2008-August 2009
Section 2: September 2009-May 2012
Section 3: June 2012-April 2013

Here we go:

Nerv:
SPOILER: Show

In Anima, NERV is taken over by the UN after Third Impact and Instrumentality fail, and it's restructured into NERV JPN. Misato is appointed the new commander. Gendo and Ritsuko are missing, and I don't know Fuyutsuki's whereabouts.

In 3.0, it's revealed that NERV was again significantly changed after Third Impact, splitting off into two groups: Neo-NERV and WILLE. WILLE is made up of most of NERV's old staff with Misato again taking the helm. Neo-NERV consists of Seele, Gendo, Fuyutsuki, Kaworu and the Ayanami Series.

Misato:

In both continuities, Misato has stepped up into the command role and taken charge of the fight for humanity against Seele, Armaros, and Instrumentality. It's not really clear whether Misato is the supreme commander of WILLE in the same way Gendo was for NERV, but she serves the same function as far as the story is concerned.

The Ayanami Series:

The Next Time preview for Q showed us that infamous image of four Reis all active at once: one teenage Rei many assumed to be Rei III and three loli Reis. None of that bore fruit in Q where we had just one Rei active and 60+ who had since passed on. There probably were multiple Reis at one point, but we don't know for sure.

Anima presents us with four active Rei clones: Rei III (called Trois), Quatre, Cinq, and Six. Quatre, Cinq and Six weren't supposed to have independent personalities, but were all linked to and remotely controlled by Rei III. They started to develop their own identities after Quatre experienced some type of mental contamination. This group is the opposite of the Q group, consisting of three teenagers and one child. They were introduced in February 2008, over a year before 2.0 came out!

Maya:

In both continuities, Maya steps into Ritsuko's shoes as chief of Eva tech and maintenance. She quite literally steps into Ritsuko's shoes (and clothes) in Anima! :lol:

Ritsuko:

Ritsuko, who is absent for most of Anima, resurfaces in the February 2013 chapter wearing a spiffy green coat similar to the one she wears as Misato's vice captain. Looking at the chapter's date, it's probably a reference to her appearance in Q.

Mari:

Anima's Mari is a genetically engineered child with cat ears, created by the US to pilot Evangelion WOLFPAC and is close friends with Rei Six. Mari debuts in Section 2 which came out in late 2009, after the release of 2.0. Mari's cat-eared helmet in 3.0 could be a subtle nod to this Mari, or just an amusing coincidence.

Evangelions 0.0 and Mark.09:

After it's destroyed, Unit 00 is rebuilt into four upgraded Evas: Rei III's Unit 00 F-Type, and three nearly identical Evas called Eva 0.0 piloted by her three clones. The three 0.0 units were made from parts of the Mass Production Evas and have backpack units containing the MP Evas' S2 organs.

Two of them are stationed in orbit around the Earth, making them the first Evas to achieve powered space flight:
Booster Rocket Equipped  SPOILER: Show

Mark.09 is also piloted by Rei clones, looks like an upgraded Unit 00, has unlimited power, and comes equipped with a bizarre rocket engine backpack for flight. This is all just a ruse and it's really the Vessel of the Adams, of course, but that's another similarity I'll get to in a minute.

Eva Unit 02:

Unit 02 is upgraded into the Unit 02 Type II following the battle with the Mass Production Evas, but it otherwise bears almost no resemblance to the Unit 02 upgrades seen in 3.0. However, it does take a trip into space in Chapter 12 (Feb. 2009) with the aid of a support unit called the UX-1 Allegorica:

The Allegorica is much more Gundam-esque than the Booster Rocket Unit 02' uses, but it turns the Eva into a quadruped with two fully mechanical prosthetic limbs, similar to Provisional Unit 05.

US Evangelion WOLFPAC and Code 777:

Mari's Eva, WOLFPAC, has a bestial form that's shown off in the February 2013 chapter. Like Unit 02, it grows paws and develops other animal-like traits, and it has a set of restrictors pushing up out of its back. That Eva shadow off to the left is there for scale. WOLFPAC is enormous! :bigeyes:

Armaros and Eva Mark.06:

In Chapter 7 (August 2008), Anima introduces its primary antagonist, a jet black Evangelion called Armaros who appears on the moon, much like Kaworu's deep blue Mark.06. Armaros is much bulkier and deviates heavily from the standard Evangelion body design, but when you compare its head to Mark.06's, the resemblance is striking:

I flipped Mark.06's picture in the above image so it's easier to compare their profiles directly. And like the Mark.06, it comes equipped with a Lance (the original LoL), has a new internal power supply ("QR Signum" for Armaros), and it has a halo. The halo is oriented behind the head, however, something not seen again until Eva 13.

From what I understand, Armaros is some kind of "Black Adam" or dark counterpart to the original Adam that rains down untold destruction upon humanity from the moon. While it isn't actually black, Mark.06's true form is a dark-skinned Adam, and it's suspected of bringing ruin upon the Earth with Third Impact.

Update:

When we finally catch up with the Mark.06 again in 3.33, it has bloated to an enormous size after fusing with Lilith's headless corpse in its last battle. Eva 13 is easily able to stand on its head and face. In one of the final chapters, Armaros also grows to an enormous size, with each of its arms being at least the size of an Evangelion if not larger. This occurs in one of Section 03's "missing" chapters, but I'm pretty sure it's from the finale in April 2013.

Torwarts and the Vessel of the Adams:

Armaros has two henchman working for it, black Evangelions called "Torwarts" or "Victors." I haven't been able to learn much about them, but the function they seem to serve for Armaros is similar to the one the Vessel plays for Evangelion 13. The horn and crest arrangement on their faces is pretty similar to the one the Vessel has with its new head. It's easier to see the similarity when you look at it from the front:

Update: One of them even fights against Beast WOLFPAC!

It looks like the Torwarts first appeared in the July 2010 chapter.

"Apple's Core" and the Black Moon:

No idea what the object on the left is supposed to be, but it shows up in Section 2 Chapter 14: "The Apple's Core" (Jan. 2011) and looks very much like Lilith's Black Moon from 3.0.

Valley of Headless Bodies and the Failures of Infinity:

Section 02 Chapter 09 (June 2010) features a valley full of giant headless bodies that are petrified. They're said to be from a failed Instrumentality from long, long ago. And of course 3.0 has all of those headless Unit 01 clones laying around, which Kaworu claims are from the aborted Third Impact. Interestingly, the headless corpses in the Valley seem to be very human in shape and proportion, while the FoI are very clearly Evangelions, complete with armor.

New! The Magoroku Exterminate Sword:

Yamashita designed this sword as a special weapon for Unit 01 all the way back in NGE, but it only appeared in toys, video games, and action figures until the trailer for 3.0+1.0 at the end of 3.33, where Unit 08+02 used it to cut through a horde of Mass Production Evas.

As TMBounty_Hunter very helpfully pointed out in the Anima General thread, the sword that appears in that trailer is actually the Magoroku Stage 02, a redesigned version that first appears in Anima Chapter 01 (January 2008). The original model looked like this:

New! Lilith's Barrier:
Anima's Lilith emits a strange black barrier after Shinji stops Instrumentality. It swallows Gendo in the first chapter, but I can't find any mention of it or Lilith after that. 3.0 also has the mysterious Lilin-repelling L-Barrier that surrounds the Tokyo-3 region after 3rd/4th Impacts are averted.

New! The Evolution of Unit 01:
Like the other returning Evas, Unit 01 undergoes some significant changes in Anima. It's first deployed in the F-type armor to prevent Instrumentality. After being severely damaged by Rei Quatre in chapter 04 (April 2008), Shinji's body and soul are merged with Unit 01 in Yui's place, and it rebuilds itself as the Super Evangelion. Shinji keeps his human body, but he and Super Eva are effectively the same being because it has his heart.

It undergoes a second evolution at the end of Section 2/start of Section 03 (June 2012), transforming into Super Eva Final Stage or Stage: Perfection, seen on the far right.

It looks like a few design elements used in Super Eva and Final Stage may have been reused in Eva 13's design, specifically Final Stage's boxy, squared off thigh armor, the raised flare on the back of the head armor shielding the skull case, and the shape of Super Eva's crest. Final Stage also has a smaller v-shaped abdominal plate right under the chest armor which is present in 13 but not in vanilla Unit 01.

Awakenings:

When Shinji triggers Unit 01's awakening in 2.22, it transforms into a Radiant Giant with wings of light. Rebuild's Unit 01 is strongly suspected to be one of the four Adams, so it taking on this form makes sense.

In a really peculiar twist, Super Evangelion also takes on an Adam-like form as a prelude to its evolution in Section 02's Special Comic (March 2012). The Eva starts glowing beneath the armor, grows yellow energy wings, and is encased in some kind of projection that looks exactly like a yellow Adam! It even has light shining from its eyes and mouth like 2.22 Unit 01, though it is yellow instead of reddish pink.

In the January 2013 chapter, Super Eva seems to have an arm and a leg made out of light, very similar to awakened Unit 01's AT Field arm. It regains the Radiant Giant form in the last couple chapters to battle Armaros again, and the Eva's wings appear to lead up into a vortex of light over its head. You can see that form in the Giant Armaros image.

Super Eva is Lilith based, so the Radiant Giant form is very odd. Even at the height of its godhood in End of Eva, Unit 01 only had glowing wings and eyes. The rest of it was dark and meaty, almost the inverse of Adam. So how does that happen?

Kaworu might provide the answer. In the last chapter, he apparently tells Shinji a story about Adam, saying that he removed the flawed, sinful and human part of himself, and implies that Shinji is that missing part. You can read more about that here!

Super Eva and Shinji are still one being in two bodies thanks to Unit 01 having Shinji's heart, so apparently Shinji being a part of Adam means that Super Eva is as well!

And just for fun:

One of the Torwarts steals Shinji's heart from Super Eva midway through Section 2. It's the glowing triangle embedded in the Towart's chest. After that, it becomes Shinji's second body in Super Eva's stead. You could say the Torwart becomes Adam's vessel! :asuka_thumbsup:

This is everything I've been able to find so far. It's hard to go too far in-depth without knowing what the text actually says! -o-; I might need to go back over this later and clean up some of the language. If anyone knows of anything else or spots any mistakes, feel free to chime in!
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:17 am

Good work BlueBasilisk

:asuka_thumbsup:
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:06 am

About Rei clones, aren't they referenced in some ost?
Still Q delivers the reveal of Rei clones etc along with more evas with spear shaped horns and Asuka's "you must be one of the early models" and Rei's "is that me?" lines. It probably wants you to make parallels and it isn't playing subtle with bug eyed Rei faces for lilith (appeared in 1.11 so pretty much planned but then I wouldn't know about the dummy system fate - probably more kaworus but who knows that has a chance of interpretation in kaworu's lines probably referencing his and Rei's copies hasn't it). I still can't make anything of the spears deal because having them with a dedicated feature like anima's to trick kaworu wouldn't be elegant, still I don't really know how they work myself.

Also I'll pick Q's slender eva designs anyday but it's me not having taste for proportions. I mean, design wise, anima dudes look pretty flawed in simple movements.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:52 am

The obvious source of similarities between the two is that this time around, Yamashita has been let off the leash in the design role for new material in the NTE production. The truly off-beat ideas he has produced over the years (starting with things like Megami Syourai, and Werewolf Asuka) that previously only appeared in his own spin-off material have now leaked into the main corpus.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:57 am

After giving it a full read, some notes

- I don't like Misato's design from ANIMA
- Ayanami Mature Series looks a bit freaky
- I really dig Maya's desgin in ANIMA. Total another level
- Mari is uhmm......, what?
- Unit 00 Booster Rocket Equipped looks really cool in space
- Allegorica looks really cool
- Torwart is the most coolest and badass unit in the Eva series and one of the best mecha designs ever.
- Apple's Core and the Black Moon look almost the same.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Interesting stuff.

That pegasus backpack thing is stupid as hell though.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:28 pm

Unit 02 Allegorica is pretty hideous. It looks much cooler when Rei uses it with Unit 00-F:

View Original PostDima wrote:Good work BlueBasilisk

:asuka_thumbsup:

Thank you very much! ^_^ And I agree, the Torwarts are very cool! They remind me of Dark Knight Cecil from Final Fantasy IV.

Mr. Tines: That's quite true. There was a predecessor to Unit 13 in his design works book and he even revisited the Megami Syourai idea with Codename: Crimson A1. With the movies using CGI for the Evas and having a higher budget in general, it's easier for them to bring some of his more overwrought designs to life.

When I get a bit of time, I plan to update the main post with the release dates of the three movies and the publication dates of Anima's three "Sections" and add a couple more examples that I've found.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:50 pm

I have to admit, this is some pretty interesting information here. To me, there was always something delightfully batshit insane about ANIMA based on all the art I've seen. I'd say the last movie could get real interesting if Yamashita has something to say about it.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:21 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Unit 02 Allegorica is pretty hideous. It looks much cooler when Rei uses it with Unit 00-F:

They remind me of Dark Knight Cecil from Final Fantasy IV.

:kaworusparkle:

I also got Dark Knight vibes from it. Dark Knight is my favorite class in FF.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:19 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Interesting stuff.

That pegasus backpack thing is stupid as hell though.

It looks pretty cool, though. I guess the extra legs help the unit gain speed before takeoff, and then the wings and rockets help it achieve orbit? It's so dumb it goes over the top and cycles back around to cool (and it's not like it's the craziest shit in Anima, what with dog and cat Evas and such).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:21 pm

Everytime something with 4 paws comes up I'm reminded of the megacamels from starwars and their countless design flaws. It makes the pegasus thing legit...almost

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:26 pm

View Original Postunz wrote:Everytime something with 4 paws comes up I'm reminded of the megacamels from starwars and their countless design flaws. It makes the pegasus thing legit...almost

What, the rontos? Those were fine. The heads are a bit big but I'm a biology nut and even I don't care about that. They're close to a good creature design, which is more than we usually get.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:31 pm

the ones used on the planet .....hot? The empire's white megathings. From the empire strikes back. They can't turn/are exposed/ heavy/ can't step on everything, Idk

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:37 pm

View Original Postunz wrote:the ones used on the planet .....hot? The empire's white megathings. From the empire strikes back. They can't turn/are exposed/ heavy/ can't step on everything, Idk

. . . AT-ATs? Why would you call those camels? They're machines, not animals. I mean, yeah, that's a terrible way to build a tank, but I had no idea what you were talking about when you described them like that.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:39 pm

Ahah I think I remember them humming in metallic disappointment when falling and exploding. Yeah it's the tanks

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:52 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It looks pretty cool, though. I guess the extra legs help the unit gain speed before takeoff, and then the wings and rockets help it achieve orbit? It's so dumb it goes over the top and cycles back around to cool (and it's not like it's the craziest shit in Anima, what with dog and cat Evas and such).

It looks like they're used for braking too. There's a pic in one of the chapters of Unit 02 touching down on the moon in a skid with the back legs acting as anchors.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:04 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:It looks like they're used for braking too. There's a pic in one of the chapters of Unit 02 touching down on the moon in a skid with the back legs acting as anchors.

Oh wow, I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, I guess at those speeds you'd need something to slow you down! :lol:

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:58 pm

It's such a mundane use you don't even consider it. That's the power of Yamashita! :lol:

I made a pretty significant update to the original post. I added release dates for the movies and the chapters, added a new picture to the Torwart section and two new pictures and a new comparison in the Armaros/Mark.06 section.

I also added new entries for The Magoroku Sword, Lilith's Barrier, and a pretty lengthy section on the evolution of Unit 01!

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Again, great work BlueBasilisk. Reading this thread makes me want more and more that compilation book.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:59 am

I kind of hope anima is just one of the influences, I don't dig the loop idea if I have to check all eva works

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”