Shantae Series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Shantae Series

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:35 pm

So....Shantae who is she?
SPOILER: Show

Shantae is a half genie bellydancer who serves as the guardian genie of her hometown, Scuttletown.
She spends the majority of the time defending against pirate attacks from her rival/frenemy Risky Boots who as you can probably tell by what she wears can be a bit risqué at times (and occasionally throws out some very intentional foe yay).

So what's the game-play like and why should i care?
Well I think linking to the HGH trailer is a good idea here because it reflects the series general gameplay more than say pirates curse which is the same basic concept but changed greatly for story reasons (PC is still amazing though I don't mind).
The series is basically a mix and match of a few different platformer types with metroidvania's being the heaviest influence though shantae is luckily much more agile than a standard belmont.
If this appeals to you then great! But if it doesn't then i would just ask you at the very least give pirates curse a try sometime.

Speaking of I will say this right off the bat: you DON'T need to play the first shantae game to get the plot, and i would recommend just going to Risky's Revenge if you truly want to go chronologically because while the first shantae game for the gameboy colour was great at the time it has the crash 1-2 problem of there is no reason to go back because the second game is just better in every way.

And if you are like me and care about this the writing and characters in the series are great, almost everyone has a funny moment and the tone remains mostly lighthearted throughout minus a few moments to help bring up the tension, basically i thoroughly enjoy these characters and look forward to more adventures with them in it.

Oh and while this is the only post here lets add a new half genie hero update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1368817
(yay new shantae sprite)
SPOILER: Show
Last edited by Rosenakahara on Fri May 06, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Shantae Series

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:10 pm

I put a lot of effort into this thread I am NOT going to let it die dammit!

So now that I have had a long time to look at the shantae HGH demo, jesus the attention to detail here is amazing, the amount of layers on the parallax is insane considering how much detail each layer has I mean seriously this is some good shit.
I feel shantae's side view this time isn't great because it's oddly more realistic and you see less of her face when she is running but the rest of her animations are good though.
Everything else is nice and fluid but it all feels a bit......slower than pirate's curse which I'm not sure how to feel about, part of the reason I loved pirates curse was because of the speed and flow of everything in there, the game never lost focus and just ploughed forward to the end barring backtracking for items, risky's shine-spark boots also helped with that feeling mind you.

Potential spoilers ahead?  SPOILER: Show
Also something interesting, in the burning town level though there are tinkerbats attacking that is NOT the tinkertub in the background firing them and risky went as far as to remake that ship twice so I highly doubt she would just scrap it for a regular ship so maybe that's not risky attacking? (sorry that was the best pic of the ship in the background I could find)
And if that's the case then who IS actually attacking the town?
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri May 06, 2016 8:36 pm

Mini-bump because I updated the header image with the new cover image they are going for, highlighting the updated artstyle of the game. (leaving the old cover art in there because it shows off the change well)
And here is the update in full, not much to it but it's something: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1567914

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri May 06, 2016 11:55 pm

It's on my list of things to check out eventually, so you've accomplished that much. ^_^
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat May 07, 2016 2:14 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:It's on my list of things to check out eventually, so you've accomplished that much. ^_^

Oh yes. Rose brings me nice things all the time, and the Shantae series is one of them.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”