Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Anime Anythings Appreciation Thread

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:26 pm

I wanted to open a thread about things you like about anime, some sort of thread to rant beyond buy it/don't buy it arguments, have opinions on what makes some animes unique and grow an appreciation if it turns out interesting. Although I'm not a student or anything so it may take a while to get to the inner workings or the very simple hooks of animation.
So I'll start linking Kon stuff I never completed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE
Last edited by unz on Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:39 pm

The thing that appeals to me about anime is that (for all the negatives that can legitimately be levelled against it) its sensibilities are quite distinct from modern British (typically miserabilist) or American (typically mawkish) visual entertainment material, and as such is a refreshing change.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:19 pm

If I get it right anime characters will manifest themselves in public, which triggers either jealousy or nauseam, it's a total hook depending on the character from kids with weird dialogue tics (nyaa n stuff) to love expression or even suicide. Basically the repressed stuff coming up compared to standart coverage of long stares on tv. I once read japs can't do things such as kissing in public in places so animes probably have a lot to tell about these people.
It helps framing is extreme hence for example rage = giant angry faces etc

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Robots, Spaceplanes, & tricked-out cars. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:04 pm

Anime mastered and is largely the only medium consistently interested in the electro-mechanical aesthetic that dominated my childhood.

While I was growing up, shows like Power Rangers, Transformers, Speed Racer, SWAT Kats, Van Pires, etc. leveraged technology as a manifestation of both power & actualization. Japanese and American shows were essentially half & half of my visual entertainment diet.

But by the time I was a teenager, shows like Zoids, Gundam, and [whatever 3rd thing Toonami had lying around] became practically the only game in town, with an occasional showing by the latest iteration of Transformers.

Animation in America tended more and more towards gags & humor by that point, and while I by no means hated all the shows out of that (Billy & Mandy, Fairly Oddparents, Ed, Edd 'n Eddy) it wasn't something I sought out.

I imagine that my desire for more of that aesthetic to negate the mundanes of life, is part to why I was so receptive to Evangelion. It had a message that was relevant, delivered in the trappings of something I really wanted to watch (as I didn't have cable growing up and missed, much to my dismay, most of the Gundam boom).

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The thing that appeals to me about anime is that (for all the negatives that can legitimately be levelled against it) its sensibilities are quite distinct from modern British (typically miserabilist) or American (typically mawkish) visual entertainment material,

... But what about Star Trek? Or Stargate? Or Babylon... na wait, I never watched that one... Not saying It's a bad show.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:53 am

I got to technobubble and cyberpunk animes the other way around through remixes, basically matrix. Looking for something like the first movie I walked through max payne kung fu edition and then anything cyberpunk, so animes were a tangential thing but now they are something I enjoy and expect to be formulaic and inventive at the same time.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:33 pm

What I like about anime is the variety. There are many, many different genres for various demographics. With western animation it always seems to be restricted to "comedy shows for kids" and "superhero stuff". There's almost nothing in the west targeting adult demographics, and when there is it's mostly just crude humor (which is ok, but it gets old after a while). With anime there's deep psychological deconstructions like Evangelion, goofy lighthearted eros like Asobi ni Iku Yo, colorful epic ego trips like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and everything else in between. Unfortunately here in the US, Disney has conditioned people for generations to believe that all animation should be family-friendly. I believe this is the main cause of the stagnation of the industry in the US.

Also, I just like the anime aesthetic better. Western animation likes to deform or minimalize character designs too much for my taste. I prefer the somewhat more realistic-looking, more angular anime characters.
[Redacted]

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:34 am

I find mangakas/comic people to be more creative. I can't really fall in love with any medium but I keep coming back to things like mangas and arena shooters.
Anyhow. Animation time. Brb.
not very educational
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVRJiY8rcc8
not animation but I pretty much see it everywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGc-K7giqKM

Never found a good place talking about these in anime shots tho.
https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_e ... principles

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:31 am

You guys have touched most of the bases on what I love about anime.

One thing that I love about anime is how bizarre it can be without losing a sense of calm and beauty. I totally understand why people like to smoke weed or pop pills and then marathon anime with friends or by themselves.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:50 pm

"bizarre" and "calm" reminds me of Blame
https://www.youtube.com/results?hl=it&g ... bmit=Cerca

Which I'm not sure was succesful as anime adaptation....demos? Which instill the manga's decompressed emotions but through some kind of, Idk, impressionism or something. It wants scary places without huge cold shadows and scale (coloured blame/noise pages are the same tbh and not very successful).

Also, related to what IronEvangelion said, holy crap the 90's are giving me the trippiest things but looking at shows like eva or utena a big deal was providing shows with female characters nobody else had. I wonder what animes are up to now. Dorohedoro/kos/blames are my favourite things so I guess one thing that's coming up is scale from Nihei's works and nevrotic gore lines from Q Hayashida making corpses muddy...which was only ported into Japanese third person shooter so far through a boss.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:22 am

I always adored the romanticistic/"emotion before (almost) anything" sensibilities in anime. Also, my great love for both Japanese culture/aesthetic and animation in general predisposes me to it greatly.

Besides, what other medium has created something like K-On! or the SoL genre?
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Anime and Manga”