Help me find a capture card!

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Help me find a capture card!

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:23 pm

I'm planning on starting a project, but I need to be able to capture footage from:

Playstation 3, Playstation 2, Game Boy Advanced SP, and Nintendo Entertainment System.

Does anyone know how to obtain this ability in the most efficient manner? Being able to capture PS4 footage is a plus, but not necessary.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Really depends on what you're doing.

Are you doing streaming, reviews?

What video connectors are you using for each? The range of connector types you can use would include HDMI, Component, S-Video, and Composite. You'll need a GameCube and a Game Boy Player if you're going to be capturing GBA footage.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks. I have red, yellow, white a/v components for PS2, and NES, and HDMI for PS3 and PS4. My intention is to record all footage as I do a 100 percent playthrough of all Metal Gear games, and upload to YouTube as a lets play if sorts, but also do a review and analysis of each game and the series as a whole.

I also forgot to mention PSP in the opening post as being a system I'll need capture ability for.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:43 pm

A few more questions:

What are you going to be editing video in? Final Cut, Premiere, etc? Need any suggestions where that's concerned?

How critical is it for you to capture from the original hardware? Have you considered running an emulator and then capturing that gameplay via either a hardware or software-based capture method? This may be a good way to go, especially if you don't have what you need to capture from GBA.

What are you recording audio from? Do you have a microphone already? Could you use a recommendation for that?

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:04 pm

I have a microphone i'm looking to buy, and i'm not yet sure what i'll edit in. Emulator would be feasible for NES and GameBoy, but emulation technology for the Playstation systems isn't very good at times.

If you have suggestions for microphones or video editing software, such would be very much appreciated.
/hj

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Just so you know PS3 cannot output to a capture card via HDMI due to the HDCP present on the console. I know it was an issue on the PS4 for a time but they gave the option to remove it. So if you're going to go for PS3 you'll need to do it through Component.

As for a card itself, I'm really out of the loop regarding what is out there. From what I remember when I used to work at a store that sold them Elgato's tend to be fairly decent. We use Blackmagic cards where I work for HDMI and they're quite good. I believe they do a device called the Intensity which is an external card that might work for you.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm guessing by the inclusion of the NES and GBA that you'll be playing the non-canon games like Snake's Revenge and Ghost Babel as well? If so, don't forget Twin Snakes on the Gamecube. It's basically a Gamecube remake of MGS1, sort of like what Capcom did with Resident Evil 1 on the Gamecube.
[Redacted]

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:06 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:I'm guessing by the inclusion of the NES and GBA that you'll be playing the non-canon games like Snake's Revenge and Ghost Babel as well? If so, don't forget Twin Snakes on the Gamecube. It's basically a Gamecube remake of MGS1, sort of like what Capcom did with Resident Evil 1 on the Gamecube.

Yeah, i'm including Snake's Revenge and Ghost Babel and the Ac!d games, but i think i'll skip over Twin Snakes and the NES port of Metal Gear 1. Not sure yet, though. I may include those as an afterthought.

My play order will be chronological, followed by the non-canon games. Plan to try to 100% them all, with the possible exception of Rising, which i may just play the main campaign, DLC, and VR.
/hj

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:37 pm

I see. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun once you get the hardware side of things sorted out. Since I've already played all the canon games, I'll be starting Snake's Revenge and Ghost Babel soon myself.

I think something like this would be what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Gaming-Definition-Capture-Device/dp/B008ZT8QKO/ref=sr_1_43?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444099153&sr=1-43&keywords=video+capture+card

It has both HDMI in and Component in according to the description. It's only advertised for capturing X1, X360, PS4 and PS3 footage, but I don't understand why it wouldn't work for other systems as well. Then again I'm no expert on these things and I've never used one before in my life...

It also comes with various cables including a PS3 Component cable. Signals from old-style red/yellow/white cables should work through the Component input as far as I know. At least, it worked when I tried it with a component video multi-port.
[Redacted]

Logoguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Logoguy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:40 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:If you have suggestions for microphones or video editing software, such would be very much appreciated.

Well, it depends what you're after. If you're looking for quality mics, I'd recommend something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058MJWJK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687702&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004KVIZCA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1S554H373M0MTVTRMYM1

Otherwise, if you're not particularly finicky about it, just go with Sennheiser or something.
"The world is sick because our symbols are sick... and the purest of us are its victims." -King Lear

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:15 pm

Thank you to both of you; i'll check them both out. Still not sure about capturing PSP, though, due to crappy emulation technology and lack of component or HDMI cords.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:30 pm

This should work if you have a PSP 2000 or 3000:

http://www.amazon.com/dreamGEAR-Component-Cable-Sony-PSP-2000/dp/B002CIR0YM/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1444253152&sr=1-4&keywords=psp+component+cable
[Redacted]

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:40 pm

Ah, thanks.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”