Fire your Headcanon! (Video Game Headcanon Thread)

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Fire your Headcanon! (Video Game Headcanon Thread)

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:36 pm

After seeing all the talk about headcanon in the MGS thread, I thought it would be fun if we had a thread where we could talk about our headcanon for various games. I've got some pretty wacky ones myself.

Metal Gear Solid-related:
SPOILER: Show
-John Marston from Red Dead Redemption is Big Boss' grandfather.
-Akebi Sasaki from Girls und Panzer got pulled into the MGS universe by a Philosophers' experiment gone awry. She was brainwashed and trained by them and eventually became the legendary hero known as The Boss.
-Cecile's memories of living in France are fake, she was actually created by Strangelove at the very lab she escaped from. She's actually an altered genetic clone of The Boss, produced as an offshoot of the Les Enfants Terribles program. Cecile has combat abilities far beyond any other human being, she just doesn't know it because she's never had to use them. She was given the codename Liquid Boss upon creation, and has a genetically inferior brunette sister codenamed Solid Boss. After narrowly avoiding the destruction of MSF, Cecile traveled to France, but was shocked to find that the house she remembered growing up in did not exist. Strangelove then appeared with Solid Boss by her side and explained what she really was, then they tried to capture her. They failed miserably, and Cecile decided to dedicate her life to fighting the Patriots and Cipher.
-Portable Ops is absolute canon and not uncertain in any way.

Final Fantasy VII-related:
-The world of Final Fantasy VII is actually NGE's earth 2,000+ years after Third Impact.
-The Lifestream was created by GNR as she died in order to bring the planet back to life.
-The part of Rei that wasn't Yui or Lilith re-materialized out of the LCL as a complete individual and later became Shinji's wife. They formed a tribe called the Shin-RA (Shin standing for Shinji, RA being an abbreviation of Rei Ayanami. Thousands of years later their descendants formed a mega-conglomerate of the same name.
-Materia are miniaturized versions of angel cores.
-The Cetra are members of the First Ancestral Race who came to earth to investigate after they detected the death of GNR.
-Jenova is a corrupted Seed of Life that was being hunted by the FAR before it crashed into earth.
-Genesis is the last descendent of a tribe called the Shinsuka, which was formed by an illegitimate child Shinji and Asuka conceived during an affair.

Persona-related:
-The Persona series takes place in the Kingdom Hearts universe. Shadows and Personas are the local names for Heartless and Nobodies.
-After the end of Persona 4 Arena, Labrys and Aigis travel back to the lab where Labrys was created, and together they rebuild all of the 5th-generation Anti-Shadow Weapons that Labrys had been forced to destroy as part of her training. Labrys and Number 24 make up and get back together.
-The main character of Persona 3 is actually a male shiny Gardevoir desperately trying to pass himself off as a human so he can avoid being captured and used in Pokemon battles.
-Yukiko Amagi is secretly a death metal junkie. She has a secret soundproof room at her family's inn where she can listen to it without being discovered.
-Ryotaro Dojima is actually a persona-user and a member of the Shadow Operatives. He never mentions this to Yu because it's classified and he doesn't know Yu can also use a persona.

These are just a few, I'll have more later. What's your video game headcanon?
Last edited by IronEvangelion on Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Redacted]

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:43 pm

Write crack fics. Please. You'd be great at it.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:13 pm

The Gerudo basically recognize no break in continuity between the reigns of Ghirahim and of the Hylians, and indeed their word for "Hyrule" is still derived from Ghirahim's name.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:14 pm

The Twili are actually just the gerudo which is why the mirror of twilight is in the gerudo desert and why they are nowhere to be seen.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:55 pm

If the Twili are the Gerudo, then why do they have multiple males? Moreover, the Twili's exile predates Ocarina of Time, so...

It makes far more sense to imagine that the Gerudo were just exterminated or driven out after the war.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Well im going by the logic that nintendo's timelines are bullshit because frankly they just dont add up. Another thing is twilight princess is very obviously going off an alternate timescale to begin with because of the sages, and various other inconsistencies in the game that just wouldn't make sense if this was the same universe.

I think an OoT style of events happened here but not exactly the very same story
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Metal Gear:
Alligator survived the events of both Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, and Phantom Pain, and Flaming Buffalo survived Phantom Pain. They got together and started a family.

Alternatively,
The Medic/Venom Snake is Alligator.

The Snake shown in Super Smash Brothers Brawl is a fourth clone of Big Boss, hence why he's a composite of both Solid and Naked Snake.

Snake's Revenge, Ghost Babel, and the Ac!d games are all in one continuity continuing from the NES Metal Gear. Something similar to MGS1 happened between Ghost Babel and Ac!d, but this Snake is Big Boss's biological son, rather than a clone.

Crash Bandicoot:
In order to make sense of the series's muddied continuity, i used evidence from the games to make a possible list of continuities and their timelines.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:06 pm

On second thought, I'm de-headcanonizing (suck it, Webster) that one part I wrote earlier about Akebi Sasaki getting pulled into the MGS universe and becoming The Boss. After thinking about it for a while, there's just too many contradictions (such as photos of The Boss as a child in MGS3) for it to be even remotely plausible. I still think the two look a lot alike, however.

As for new headcanon:

The Order: 1886-related:

The Order: 1886 takes place in an alternate history of the Assassin's Creed universe. More specifically, it is what Assassin's Creed: Syndicate would be like if the Templars had won the secret war long ago. Her Majesty's Royal Knights are the black ops wing of the Templars, but the two exist in a sort of "NERV-SEELE relationship." The Royal Knights function mostly independently according to their purpose, but only the highest-ranking members are even aware of the Templars' existence. Lakshmi and Didi are the last two Assassins left on earth. In addition, the grail containing the black water that gives the knights immortality is a Piece of Eden.

Some new MGS-related stuff:

Quiet looks different from the Skulls because she never fully assimilated with her parasites. Also if she and Venom were to have sex, some of the parasites would migrate onto Venom and replace his skin in a very slow and agonizing process.

The reason Quiet doesn't suffocate or lose her powers while wearing the grey uniform or the Sniper Wolf outfit is because the outfits themselves are made of her skin parasites, the same way the Skulls are able to make their own "suits" out of their parasites.

Raiden is the illegitimate son of Frank Jaeger (Grey Fox). This explains his early skill with a blade and his upbringing as a child soldier (like father, like son).

Kingdom Hearts-related:

Every time Sora dies during gameplay in the series, another Roxas is born in his heart. Soon the number of Roxases will reach critical mass and they will manifest physically, after which they will take over the Disney universe by force.
[Redacted]

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:55 am

View Original PostLavinius wrote:If the Twili are the Gerudo, then why do they have multiple males? Moreover, the Twili's exile predates Ocarina of Time, so...

It makes far more sense to imagine that the Gerudo were just exterminated or driven out after the war.

My headcanon is that the Gerudo were simply assimilated into Hyrulean society after OoT. Notably, Telma heavily resembles the Gerudo women (albeit more realistic and middle-aged) and has a stylised Gerudo emblem on her skirt, implying that she's of Gerudo descent.

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:On

Some new MGS-related stuff:

Quiet looks different from the Skulls because she never fully assimilated with her parasites. Also if she and Venom were to have sex, some of the parasites would migrate onto Venom and replace his skin in a very slow and agonizing process.

The reason Quiet doesn't suffocate or lose her powers while wearing the grey uniform or the Sniper Wolf outfit is because the outfits themselves are made of her skin parasites, the same way the Skulls are able to make their own "suits" out of their parasites.

Raiden is the illegitimate son of Frank Jaeger (Grey Fox). This explains his early skill with a blade and his upbringing as a child soldier (like father, like son).

That would make a lot of sense. I actually have a little theory that the part of Quiet that we're supposed to be ashamed about is that she has no skin after being burnt, and all skin/clothes are all created by the parasite Skulls-style. It would explain how her ripped hose spontaneously reappeared in the starting cutscene of 'A Quiet Exit'.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:30 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote: I actually have a little theory that the part of Quiet that we're supposed to be ashamed about is that she has no skin after being burnt, and all skin/clothes are all created by the parasite Skulls-style. It would explain how her ripped hose spontaneously reappeared in the starting cutscene of 'A Quiet Exit'.

I think the "You will be ashamed of your words and deeds" quote from Kojima wasn't referring to the player, but to the critics. They reduced a complex character to a sex object to be angry over, while accusing Kojima of, well, making her a sex object for them to be angry over. Not only were the critics of her design doing something so ludicrous as slut-shaming a fictional character, they were doing it to Stefanie Joosten by proxy, yet refused to see their own hypocrisy (especially since several of them said that the silicon parts in the Quiet figure's chest allowed people to "sexually assault" her by proxy). Kojima probably expected the controversy, and used it to make a point that people were, once again, slut-shaming a fictional character, that they ignored the presence of killable child soldiers, which were put into the game to point out that child soldiers are a real thing and the people who train them should be stopped.
/hj

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:23 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I think the "You will be ashamed of your words and deeds" quote from Kojima wasn't referring to the player, but to the critics. They reduced a complex character to a sex object to be angry over, while accusing Kojima of, well, making her a sex object for them to be angry over. Not only were the critics of her design doing something so ludicrous as slut-shaming a fictional character, they were doing it to Stefanie Joosten by proxy, yet refused to see their own hypocrisy (especially since several of them said that the silicon parts in the Quiet figure's chest allowed people to "sexually assault" her by proxy). Kojima probably expected the controversy, and used it to make a point that people were, once again, slut-shaming a fictional character, that they ignored the presence of killable child soldiers, which were put into the game to point out that child soldiers are a real thing and the people who train them should be stopped.

That's not really what the critics were doing. Most of them were perfectly fine with Eva, who was all about teh sex. The criticism of Quiet was more about the fact that her displays seemed out of character, how she wasn't dressed appropriately for her job (at the very least snipers need ammo, and that means pockets are kinda a must), and how the rationale for her running around in a bikini was paper-thin (and kinda undermined by the whole stockings thing, since they wouldn't let her breathe through her skin anyway).

Sex is fine. Sexy is fine, too: there are plenty of progressives out there who have no issue with e.g. Bayonetta, since she's a sexual character and that's just the way she is. But in Quiet's case her displays are things the player unlocks, making them less about her and more about a reward for the player. A lot of people think that's kind of skeevy.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Lately I've been thinking Kojima's "You will be ashamed of your words and deeds" could be in part a mistranslation of sorts, like he didn't get his exact point across? I mean, he has admitted as such that he gets embarrassed when speaking in English (which he shouldn't, I think it's super adorable), and even had to clarify in an interview that he wanted Quiet to be seen as "Sexy, not erotic".

Anywho, in no real order. A lot of these are based on stuff that could be inferred, so my apologies in advance if that somehow doesn't count as a head canon. :lol:

Metal Gear Solid:

Various major  SPOILER: Show
    *John and Eva had a week long get-together (think Kaji and Misato's college days) sometime in the '80s. Major stress relief for them both.

*One good thing about being part of The Patriots post Operation Snake Eater is Ocelot and Eva became friends (since at this point in time they weren't needed to play on opposite sides). Their friendship/loyalty with John is a no-brainier why they followed his ideals.

*Big Boss secretly regrets that he never watched a James Bond movie with Zero. He did at least check out the films Para-Medic/Dr. Clark suggested during Operation Snake Eater!

*Whether or not Ocelot ever found out the truth about who his parents were (in later years?), his seemingly calm attitude in TPP is the real him. Hypnotherapy about Venom aside, Ocelot has nobody to fool, no sides to play (including himself :tongue: ), at that point in time since Adam's helping John realize his dream.

*John and Adam saw each other at least one more time, probably during the early-mid 90's. Seeing as Eva and Adam were on Team Big Boss Did No Wrong, I'd imagine they'd be assisting him in their own way (probably spying and Intel) throughout the years.

*Stated by word of God ( = Kojima :wink:) The Boss/Jack, and Quiet/Venom are reunited in death. In my mind, many other deceased cast members are too (including "those forgotten": Paz, Chico, Venom, Quiet, etc), in some kind of peaceful afterlife.

*Big Boss will eat anything you put in front of him as long as it's food(?), and tastes good. He has a comically huge (think anime characters like Goku, Usagi/Sailor Moon) appetite.

*Quiet didn't die after leaving Diamond Dogs (she mainly wandered the deserts to avoid being a potential time bomb) but did she reunite with Venom before he died. Ala Last Day in Outer Heaven.

*Quiet did become friends with Ocelot during her time there (Mutual respect as well as similar feelings for "Big Boss"). Though Kaz and Quiet didn't hate each other, but didn't get along, because Kaz.

*Ocelot was Kaz's murderer pre-MGS1, based on their "agreement" during TPP credits stinger.

*Adam and Kaz are completely in love with Big Boss. Kaz's feelings cooled and he instead felt slighted once the Truth came out; Ocelot however maintained "loyalty to the end". IMO, John's completely unaware, but even if he knew, his feelings are towards The Boss and Eva (and are/were reciprocated by both women).

*Big Boss did have respect for Solid Snake but his sending Snake on Operation Intrude N313 was a death mission. And Venom's orders were to kill Solid Snake or die trying, so neither Big Boss thought Snake would get as far as he did (David being the inferior clone). John's reasoning for sending in Snake? Better Snake die now than somehow become a pawn of The Patriots.

*Otacon truly was The Boss' meme with wanting to look out for future generations alongside Snake. The Boss and Strangelove would've been proud.

*It's a good thing that Vamp never interacted with Big Boss, because the latter would be terrified. And not just because Vamp's "a vampire", either! :tongueflap:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:51 pm

Hah! Regarding that thing about Ocelot that you just mentioned, I had that conversation with a friend just today -- and he pointed out to me that the strategy guide outright says that Ocelot's behavior in TPP is so different from his portrayal in any other game because that is his true self; the flamboyant persona he puts on in every other game is an act.

Not sure how verb-atim that is; he didn't bring his strategy guide today so he can't look it up.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:51 pm

About Quiet's nature being stupid; it is, but between Gay Fox and The Boss giving birth on literal D-day it more or less fits on the MGS franchise. Hell it's not even the first time a character is subjected to nudity if you consider MGS2 (although the undertones were different). I have not seen the gameplay itself but going by the rain scene Quiet's nudity and what it did for her character clicked for me in a non-sexual way. I guess you could point out examples of objectification in how she's basically a mute waifu if you want to see it like that but i at least find something beautiful and dignified in what little i saw of her character.

And about the outfits being more about the player than her, under that logic pretty much the entire game can become objectification. Why are we making Venom go throught so much just for our entertainment, why do we want to see character suffer just to get a good story, etc.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:00 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
    *Whether or not Ocelot ever found out the truth about who his parents were (in later years?), his seemingly calm attitude in TPP is the real him. Hypnotherapy about Venom aside, Ocelot has nobody to fool, no sides to play (including himself :tongue: ), at that point in time since Adam's helping John realize his dream.

*Ocelot was Kaz's murderer pre-MGS1, based on their "agreement" during TPP credits stinger.

*Adam and Kaz are completely in love with Big Boss. Kaz's feelings cooled and he instead felt slighted once the Truth came out; Ocelot however maintained "loyalty to the end". IMO, John's completely unaware, but even if he knew, his feelings are towards The Boss and Eva (and are/were reciprocated by both women).

*Otacon truly was The Boss' meme with wanting to look out for future generations alongside Snake. The Boss and Strangelove would've been proud.

Aside from Kaz being in love with Big Boss, i think the ones i quoted actually are canon.
/hj

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:04 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Hah! Regarding that thing about Ocelot that you just mentioned, I had that conversation with a friend just today -- and he pointed out to me that the strategy guide outright says that Ocelot's behavior in TPP is so different from his portrayal in any other game because that is his true self

Just to be safe?  SPOILER: Show
Also: Compare Ocelot's behavior in TPP to any of his post-credits stinger discussions throughout the series (also: when he's dying/back to "normal") and you'll see the exact same calm demeanor. No ruse cruise required when he's upfront about the sides the various sides he's playing, or assisting John in whatever way necessary.

TehDonutKing: I figured as much myself, though certain things within MGS are somewhat vague. Although if you know how the pieces fit, then everything makes sense (Kinda like with NGE).

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:46 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:and he pointed out to me that the strategy guide outright says that Ocelot's behavior in TPP is so different from his portrayal in any other game because that is his true self; the flamboyant persona he puts on in every other game is an act.

Thanks TPP, just straight up ruin a character for me why don't you, turn fucking ocelot into the most boring asshole ever and say that is the real him.
This is fan-fiction levels of dumb.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:28 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:the most boring asshole ever

What exactly didn't you like? Sure he didn't have any exciting spy missions (He and Miller were on the sidelines of the game events overall) but I thought Ocelot having a literal support role worked quite nicely. Was a good contrast to Miller's constant RAGE.

I really didn't think it was much of a stretch once you consider some of his exchanges in previous games.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:00 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Thanks TPP, just straight up ruin a character for me why don't you, turn fucking ocelot into the most boring asshole ever and say that is the real him.
This is fan-fiction levels of dumb.

Now i'm imagining Kiki complaining about the Trans-Pacific Partnership ruining a horny wildcat while swearing like a sailor and it's glorious.
/hj

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”