7 Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About Evangelion

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

7 Things You (Probably) Didn't Know About Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJRaEAcuI3w

Sounds mostly right, though how they explained some things makes me want to fact check or ask them for their sources.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:26 pm

By number two, I was thinking, "So they're just enumerating rumors they've found on the Internet that everyone knows". By number three, I wanted to punch the narrator for repeating stupid shit about "Sequel Theory" that has been debunked 3,452 times. By number four, the mangled pronunciations forced me to close it.

Pretty bad.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:06 am

If the sequel theory had really been so thoroughly debunked, it wouldn't be news to me, Rachel. Where and when did this happen, exactly?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:38 pm

In the Rebuild subforum, over and over and over again. I take it you don't spend much time in there, Aaron.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:14 pm

There's the better part of a million posts on this forum Rachel, I haven't read them all, and you know me well enough by now to know that I like to hang out in the fandom, not argue or theorize over things.

I would like to know where specifically that theory has been debunked, is there a particular post/thread that I should read? Also, the point that I would like to make is that it may be all well and good for you that it's been "debunked 3,452 times" in one particular section of one particular forum in the greater sphere of the Eva-nets, but this is the first time I've heard anyone claim there's proof that Rebuild is not a sequel. Last I heard, we were still like "Yeah, there's a bunch of odd visual cues, but we'll have to wait and see if they actually do anything with it", especially with recent things like "until you come to me" doing weird things to tie the two together. If it were truly debunked, this would have achieved some saturation or traction in the greater fandom.

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:42 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:There's the better part of a million posts on this forum Rachel, I haven't read them all, and you know me well enough by now to know that I like to hang out in the fandom, not argue or theorize over things.

I would like to know where specifically that theory has been debunked, is there a particular post/thread that I should read? Also, the point that I would like to make is that it may be all well and good for you that it's been "debunked 3,452 times" in one particular section of one particular forum in the greater sphere of the Eva-nets, but this is the first time I've heard anyone claim there's proof that Rebuild is not a sequel. Last I heard, we were still like "Yeah, there's a bunch of odd visual cues, but we'll have to wait and see if they actually do anything with it", especially with recent things like "until you come to me" doing weird things to tie the two together. If it were truly debunked, this would have achieved some saturation or traction in the greater fandom.

Same here, Monk. Would you mind Reichu to point that out?

But as far as im concerned (what Reichu meant) a Sequel would imply that Evangelion is a continuity of NGE - which is in of itself impossible. Kendrix and some other people explained it like a time-loop or a Many-worlds interpretation or Quantum-verse. But we only have (like you said) visual clues (which are ambigious). Nothing of substance (other than Kaworus cryptic lines). So it is provisional inoperative with everything we had been provided (in terms of explanations). Also the rules for the NTE-verse is completly different (or atleast) unexplained and so on.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:45 pm

Just go to the thread list for the Rebuild subforum and search for "sequel". Every thread is practically the same thing again and again.

And my point was that the items mentioned in the video have been debunked. If they really wanted to go there, they could have picked the things that DON'T have an in-universe explanation, and not the ones that do. Furthermore, the fact that a terrible meme like "zomg new movies happen directly after EoE" remains at large is not remotely an indication of that idea's validity or quality. That's argumentum ad populum right there.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:33 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Just go to the thread list for the Rebuild subforum and search for "sequel". Every thread is practically the same thing again and again.

And my point was that the items mentioned in the video have been debunked. If they really wanted to go there, they could have picked the things that DON'T have an in-universe explanation, and not the ones that do. Furthermore, the fact that a terrible meme like "zomg new movies happen directly after EoE" remains at large is not remotely an indication of that idea's validity or quality. That's argumentum ad populum right there.

I did it. Some Pre-Q threads and a lot of speculation after 3.0. But i don't saw any "debunks" about the Multi-verse and the "visual clues". Sure "sequel" doesn't make any sense - but a Endless Eight-eske time-loop or whatever is more plausible. And i just mentioned that in my early post. Kaworus lines doesn't make any sense (especially in 1.0 and 2.0). And i'm not saying it is a sequel, but a different iteration. Anno is screwing with the old Eva-fandom, yes. But i can't see your debunked 3,452 times. It just shows us that Anno is more dependend on his older works than creating something new (in-world reference). Which is shitty writing, nothing more nothing less.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:41 pm

View Original PostSEELE wrote:Anno is screwing with the old Eva-fandom

Can you definitively prove this? because, while Kaworu's words are both cryptic and intriguing, i see nothing that confirms them as a dependence on EVA's older fandom
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:50 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Can you definitively prove this? because, while Kaworu's words are both cryptic and intriguing, i see nothing that confirms a dependence on EVA's older fandom

Well, as in the vid mentioned - Eva is dependend on call-backs from the previous Iteration. There is no proof to this because it is speculation. Should i throw some rhetorical elements into the discussion just like the guy did in this video? I don't think so. Look at this take a deep breath and ask yourself if this is intentional. Even in Ha there are a lot of question, but the main focus is on the visual clues we get (Red sea and so on). Why making call-backs, clue-baiting and then just drop the topic? Is this a respectful nod to the fandom? Hideo Kojima did it right with MGS5 (and working with the subtle message that we [as fandom] inherent the name Big Boss). Anno don't know what he is doing. Or he is just preparing the big BTFO-shit for Shin/FINAL/3.0+1.0. Eitherway this is speculation. Sorry if you read to much into this - i'm not a native english speaking person.
Baumkuchen, Bratwurst und Bier - in dieser Reihenfolge.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:00 pm

View Original PostSEELE wrote:Why making call-backs, clue-baiting and then just drop the topic?

Simple, our focus was in one place when it should have been elsewhere. Those visual callbacks in Jo and Ha are exactly that, callbacks, and many made the mistake of reading too deep into them when we should've been observing the characters and their growth. After all, EVA is a character driven story is it not? In the grand scheme of things, i consider observing and figuring out whats happening in the background to be of considerably less importance.
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:12 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Simple, our focus was in one place when it should have been elsewhere. Those visual callbacks in Jo and Ha are exactly that, callbacks, and many made the mistake of reading too deep into them when we should've been observing the characters and their growth. After all, EVA is a character driven story is it not? In the grand scheme of things, i consider observing and figuring out whats happening in the background to be of considerably less importance.

Pointless sliding ahead
SPOILER: Show
Well, as far as a Kaiju-weekly hightlight Mecha show is character driven. Evangelion was always (to some level) an arthouse product. And real mid-hard sci-fi. And the visual callbacks weren't necessery just like the reference to some degree. What you didn't understand is the way Reichu told us that this has been debunked which i find strange because i searched the sub for any clue. We remain in a speculation of Endless-Eight-Time-Loop-thingy (different iteration shit). I don't like it because it screws with my precious Soryu but thats just me.

BTT

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Sounds mostly right, though how they explained some things makes me want to fact check or ask them for their sources.

Half of the things aren't new. And about the Godzilla thingy [KLICK MICH!].

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:14 pm

View Original PostSEELE wrote:I did it. Some Pre-Q threads and a lot of speculation after 3.0. But i don't saw any "debunks" about the Multi-verse and the "visual clues". Sure "sequel" doesn't make any sense

The "sequel" idea is what the video mentioned and what has been debunked over and over in threads. I never claimed anything else.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:25 pm

View Original PostSEELE wrote:And the visual callbacks weren't necessery

By that logic, all the callbacks to Uchuu Senkan Yamato in Nadia where also unnecessary no?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:30 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The "sequel" idea is what the video mentioned and what has been debunked over and over in threads. I never claimed anything else.

It would be nice if you could just point to something specific, save us the hassle of going through hundreds of posts. You seem so adamant and, if I'm not mistaken, irritated, given your superlative of "3,453 times", that people still think it's possibly in continuity. Perhaps you could coalesce that into the wiki for our benefit? Maybe then it would actually be debunked, as you say.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:03 pm

Monkey: Why is it my responsibility to catch you up on stuff you've intentionally avoided for years, Aaron? :p (Why do you keep using my real name? It's clearly not for friendly purposes, so it just feels like you're trying to be my Internet dad or something. And you're younger than me, so that's really weird and gross.) If you stay out of certain types of Eva discussion, you'll naturally miss potential items of interest.

If I wasn't going to fly out tomorrow morning to initiate a major life transition, digging through repetitive 'sequel theory' threads and/or slapping together a wiki page might have been possibilities. But, alas, all I can do right now is let you know that the threads exist. You can peruse or not. Any which way, being as this stuff has been around for quite a few years now, a response of "not this shit again!" is not only inevitable but justified. :tongueflap:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:42 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:By number two, I was thinking, "So they're just enumerating rumors they've found on the Internet that everyone knows". By number three, I wanted to punch the narrator for repeating stupid shit about "Sequel Theory" that has been debunked 3,452 times. By number four, the mangled pronunciations forced me to close it.

Pretty bad.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Monkey: Why is it my responsibility to catch you up on stuff you've intentionally avoided for years, Aaron?

If you're going to be so forceful and negative in what you're projecting onto others, to the point where you're calling people and their attempts to teach people something "stupid shit", the very least you can do is back it up with something more concrete than pointing to hundreds upon hundreds of posts. A concrete citation isn't too much to ask for in this situation. Surely there's a point in the discussion where you or someone laid things out?

This is news to me, and it's not like I've been living under a rock the past several years. I've been posting here, I've been posting on Reddit, I've been filtering around, interacting with people on Facebook, Twitter, and at conventions. I've been doing convention panels researching various aspects of Eva. Someone saying the sequel theory has been debunked thousands of times is news to me, and I would genuinely like to see something persuasive on the subject, and, I'm sorry, but the prospect of a 800+ post count thread going back seven years doesn't interest me. Being as there are so many examples of it being debunked, and you've been in those discussions, it shouldn't be so hard for you to point one out.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Why do you keep using my real name? It's clearly not for friendly purposes

Because that's your name?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:04 pm

A while ago I posted a list of links to Sequel Theory threads here.

The thread that post's in is actually about Loop Theory, which to my mind is distinct. I am currently reconsidering my stance on this in the light of just having watched Higurashi - When They Cry which is based on a loop in the sense of multiple replays, in which sometimes some characters have some memory of previous goes around (somewhat the same as in the infamous Endless Eight, for that matter, though with more variation). This is supported by the interview in which Kaworu's seiyuu says it explicitly (translations from [url]http://qmisato.tumblr.com/post/112930535034/ᴇᴠᴀɴɢᴇʟɪᴏɴ-ǫ-ʏᴏᴜ-ᴄᴀɴ-ɴᴏᴛ-ʀᴇᴅᴏ-ᴄᴀsᴛ-ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴠɪᴇᴡs[/url]):
I knew the world was different this time, ... How should Nagisa Kaworu behave after he’s accumulated several different cycles in his past?
No matter how many times it happens, it always ends the same way. It should’ve turned out differently from the previous cycle, but the same mistakes are repeated once again. Kaworu has an unfortunate destiny. But, it’s like he switched tracks at a different point this time. It’s like he struggles against the flow [of his fate] and sacrifices himself so that Shinji can survive, because Shinji has to survive.
Kaworu has a sort of bird’s-eye-view of it all, but even in that role, he’s not in a position of control.

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Because that's your name?

People's reactions vary - but I prefer to be called by my name, at least in places I am well enough known that it comes naturally to people.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:24 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Someone saying the sequel theory has been debunked thousands of times is news to me

So is the concept of hyperbole, apparently!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Pretty bad, yeah.

1:
1:15... isn't that elfen lied? Why is that clip here?
The budget problem was largely one of time, not funding.
I'm pretty sure the death threats thing is largely bullshit stemming back to that old EoE rumor.

2:
No, it's not all a flashback or a dream.
Asking ADV about the meaning of the show as if that has any authoritative bearing... lol.

3:
They do label the sequel thing as a fan theory at least, but it's still terrible.
2.22 explained away the red ocean and pretty much all that's left to cling to is Kaworu being cryptic, but it's Kaworu so that's expected.
An internal time loop unique to the Rebuilds I could maybe see as plausible, but not anything to do with the original.

4:
Pretty much true... missed a big thing in that Shikinami is part of the same class of destroyers as Ayanami though.
No mention at all of the various ship/ocean related terms for Keel, Rokubungi, Kaji, Nagisa and Ikari?
Nothing about "The Fascism of Love and Fantasy" giving Toji and Kensuke their names directly? Weaksauce.

5:
Wait... why would there be 56 versions of "Fly Me to the Moon" when there's only 26 episodes?
Don't most of them just use the same version anyway with just a change to the background color now and then?

6:
Yes, because Anno told her too as the line just wasn't working, and it wasn't in the scene the video is showing clips from.
Getting 'worked up' was the goal, not the reason.

7:
...isn't this the same thing as the last one?
Couldn't think of anything else, like maybe the fact that nobody is 100% sure how the series ending and EoE work?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Fan Works”