Other Evangelion communities?

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Other Evangelion communities?

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:07 pm

This has probably been addressed somewhere, but I can't seem to find any relevant threads. Someone in another forum I frequent opined that message boards are dying, and that other forms of social media are becoming more and more popular. Obvious examples include Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. So my question is, what other Eva communities are out there? Are any comparable in size or larger than EGF? What sort of activity do they have? What are they like?

I don't think EGF's going anywhere in the foreseeable future, but it wouldn't hurt to see what other communities are out there.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Interested in this myself, when I got into Eva a number of years ago this was pretty much the primary place for anything (Although it was EvaMonkey when I first signed up), there was also EvaMade which had a pretty nice little community, the FanFiction.net community seemed fairly nice too. I don't really think there is a community around anymore like this one for Eva.

Tumblr has a fairly active/big Eva fandom but it isn't really the same as the sort of community you'd get here. It's fun and I do enjoy using it but it isn't the same as being part of a community like this one.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:25 pm

There's a Reddit Evangelion board which I'm pretty sure Aaron has something to do with, although I can't say I know anything about its inner workings-- I don't spend time there.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:15 pm

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Tumblr has a fairly active/big Eva fandom but it isn't really the same as the sort of community you'd get here. It's fun and I do enjoy using it but it isn't the same as being part of a community like this one.

Oh God, anywhere but there!

:cringe:

There's always 4chan.
:hahaha:

In all seriousness, don't Anime message boards, if they're big enough, have sub-forums that deal with a specific type of anime or a particular show? I'd figure you can find Eva communities there.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Other Evangelion communities?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:49 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Are any comparable in size or larger than EGF?

The Reddit one has three times as many members as EGF; I have no information on the relative activity.

But to address the starting point, that message boards are dying... well, I see no sign of it. The flightier kind of members may well flit to the latest social media format, but there are plenty of people who prefer the way these communities work. Even if this kind of forum reduces from its peak, that's not necessarily a failure - people can easily get too hung up on modest changes.

There was another modest-sized forum ("Revolution of Evangelion") that was started by V (for those who remember him). That died a couple of years back when V left the fandom following the release of Q. Some other members started a successor which remains very small, but there are several members who run panels at cons, and do a regular Eva discussion podcast as well. I am somewhat active there, as is one other EGF member.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:45 pm

There's the Eva Mailing List, I suppose, though the most recent archived posts are from 3/2015.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Other Evangelion communities?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:37 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Someone in another forum I frequent opined that message boards are dying, and that other forms of social media are becoming more and more popular.

Are any comparable in size or larger than EGF? What sort of activity do they have? What are they like?

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:There's a Reddit Evangelion board which I'm pretty sure Aaron has something to do with, although I can't say I know anything about its inner workings-- I don't spend time there.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The Reddit one has three times as many members as EGF; I have no information on the relative activity.

http://reddit.com/r/evangelion/

I got into Reddit around the time that Eva Geeks was established, but it wasn't until about two years ago that I started frequenting the Evangelion subreddit. Currently, I am a moderator there.

Reddit has changed significantly in the past seven years I've been a redditor. And the Evangelion community there has grown significantly, and while it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges, I must say that the Evangelion subreddit is, mathematically, a larger community. There are over 16k subscribers, and the subreddit's stats tell me that it exceeds 35k unique visitors per month, and gets over 250k page views per month. I wish I could get a stat on posts/comments, to compare to our own stats on threads/posts.

The Evangelion subreddit is more about bits of content, than ongoing, or even detailed discussion. There's also less memory. Users and topics don't really stand out. It's all about the now. It's also a waypoint for new fans. Frequent topics include people who want to get into the show, and need guidance. People want to know what DVD set to buy. People want to know where in the hell Evangelion 3.33 is. Fandom also stands out a lot more to me, as opposed to discussing aspects of the show.

I must say, the subreddit has become my destination for Eva fandom in recent times. I've lost interest in discussion and trying to explain things, and am more content to just explore the fandom. Plus, it suits my short attention span.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:24 pm

I also believe this forum isn't going to go anywhere. Keep in mind that we do have somewhat of a good reputation among the anime community. When 3.0 came out in theaters, people who were not formal members were coming here to find any news about it (what was the final tally that day?), and I know it will happen again when the final movie comes out.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:40 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Keep in mind that we do have somewhat of a good reputation among the anime community.

I didn't get this impression during my time on certain image boards, but, then, the magic of being anonymous is that it's easier than ever for a vocal minority to seem much bigger than it actually is...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:59 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I didn't get this impression during my time on certain image boards, but, then, the magic of being anonymous is that it's easier than ever for a vocal minority to seem much bigger than it actually is...

Yeah, Evageeks really is the butt of all jokes in the 4chan Eva threads. Most have a very low opinion from what I've seen. Though on the topic of 4chan and Eva, many of them are just shitposters and waifu war combatants. However, some good discussion does takes place from time to time if you can get past all that other junk.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:07 pm

4chan's not a good indicator of much of anything, though. Some of the loudest EGF detractors there are people who've been banned from EGF, so they're not exactly reliable sources.

And of course, it's also worth keeping in mind that 4chan itself is the butt of jokes, well, everywhere.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:19 pm

Don't bother trying to discuss Eva on 4chan, it's a total waste. I'm in an Eva thread right now with two idiots telling me I am "literally the holocaust denier of the Eva fandom" for telling them to get over their delusion that Rei Q is Anno's deliberate persecution of Rei's fans.

That's right, Rei Q = the holocaust.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:53 pm

Eva used to be shunned on /a/, then the Rebuilds came along, and now we get entry-level discussions and waifu wars. I'm in many of them, gently trolling.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:00 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:waifu wars [...] gently trolling.

Well, that's as good a reason as any to continue to keep away.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:04 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Eva used to be shunned on /a/, then the Rebuilds came along, and now we get entry-level discussions and waifu wars. I'm in many of them, gently trolling.

Are you the guy that always derails threads into Kaworu/Shinji discussion? :tongue:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:34 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:derails threads into Kaworu/Shinji
No, that just happens all by itself.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:51 pm

^,^^,^^^,^^^^ -

Hmm so that's why I saw the one Youtube comment not so long ago saying something on the lines of... "Evageeks are full of radicals that drove Amanda Winn Lee from the fandom, etc."
Could see a 4chan user same something like that, definitely if they have a low opinion of our community. No doubt that the past hasn't helped with that either, but that's for another thread, and an easy topic to look up on EGF.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:47 pm

That's a good example of what I was talking about earlier; AWL left because of exactly one radical, and we banned his ass for three years as a result. Virtually no one on the forum at the time was happy with that situation, and for good reason -- it was a really shitty situation. But of course a disgruntled user isn't going to take note of that fact, which leads to the nonsense you described.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:04 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well, that's as good a reason as any to continue to keep away.

Well, even though /a/ is full of many new people, there is still discussion. Though if you want it to be more focused, then just head over to /m/.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:55 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Don't bother trying to discuss Eva on 4chan, it's a total waste. I'm in an Eva thread right now with two idiots telling me I am "literally the holocaust denier of the Eva fandom" for telling them to get over their delusion that Rei Q is Anno's deliberate persecution of Rei's fans.

That's right, Rei Q = the holocaust.

I can't really evaluate your post. Maybe because im not native speaking english person. But to me Rei!Ha and Rei!Q are the attempt from Anno to show us that Rei isn't the (with the terms of half and 8chan) the best waifu. He knew this would draw attention but it is way better than NGE!Rei. Because this Rei is really dead. Not like Rei!Ha. Rei!Q is in a sense the thing Anno was thinking about the Rei-fandom. So correct me if i'm wrong and can't comprehend your comment, but everything was better than NGE (in terms of Rei). Rei-fans deserve what they got - liking a doll brings you a doll (Rei!Q).
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Return to “Fan Works”