Jungle Book Live Action

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Jungle Book Live Action

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcgJRQWxKnw

What do you guys think? Lots of animals an all star cast (Bill Murray, Idris Elba, Andy Serkis etc.) a director of big budget spectacle and family films at the helm.

This looks pretty good.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:00 pm

I'm outraged that they picked a white actress to play a Indian snake. :tongue:

In all seriousness though, this does look pretty good and the casting is amazing. I will go see this just for Bill Murray as Baloo and Christopher Walken as King Louie.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:26 pm

http://collider.com/jungle-book-jon-favreau-talks-balancing-realism-fantasy/?utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Apparently everything onscreen except Mowgli is CGI even the photo realistic things.
I'm outraged that they picked a white actress to play a Indian snake

Last I checked orangutangs don't live in India. Especially not GIANT Orangutangs!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:57 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Last I checked orangutangs don't live in India. Especially not GIANT Orangutangs!

Doesn't change the fact that it's where the Jungle Book is originally set.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Logoguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Logoguy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:13 am

Oh, wow! It's happening!

I loved the animated film as a kid, so I'll definitely be seeing this once it's out.

View Original PostRay wrote:Apparently everything onscreen except Mowgli is CGI even the photo realistic things.

Well that's to be expected—as long as the CGI isn't glaringly obvious, it's all good.
"The world is sick because our symbols are sick... and the purest of us are its victims." -King Lear

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:37 am

As far as I'm concerned, the CGI here is meant to have a fantastical aesthetic to it. It doesn't have to look real in order for this film to look impressive. Or at least, it's supposed to look about as "real" as certain paintings of exotic places are supposed to look. This looks to be a film where art is being placed before photorealism, and I like that approach to The Jungle Book.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:07 pm

I stand corrected, apparently King Louie isn't an Orangutan. He's a Gigantopithicus.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Jungle Book Live Action

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Man, this is gonna be fun!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:10 am

Anyone see it?
Opinions?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun May 15, 2016 3:46 pm

It's good, even in Standard Definition it's good.

All the actors in this movie are good, even the kid actors playing Mowgli and the wolf pups.

Bill Murray as Baloo is probably his best role in years, he's actually ACTING as Baloo. He's not phoning it in like he's done with a lot of his other roles recently, he has an arc made out of whole cloth. He goes from using Mowgli to get honey and fruit to actually coming to care for him as a surrogate parent.

Ben Kingsley plays it straight and proper as Bagheera, and Idris Elba is excellent as Shere Khan. Easily the most intimidating I've seen him.

But the scariest part of this movie is the part involving Chris Walken as King Louie. When you first meet Louie, you think he's a joke. He's big, he's fat, he's jokey, there's no way he can be a threat. But as the scene goes on, and he slowly realizes he's not going to get his way, he slowly boils and gets progressively more angry, before eventually turning into a violent and animal. He chases Mowgli through the ruins, crawling through a hole too small for him, Mowgli trying his best to hide in the cracks and between the pillars as Louie crawls and probes around for him, it's like a scene out of the original Alien.

and that's a huge part of what I like about this movie, is how suprisingly intense it is for a PG-rating. It's got quite a few jumpscares, and has quite a bit of blood and violence. You can get away with a lot of violence as far as animals are concerned, and it has no limits on showing how terrifying the Animal Kingdom can be.

The only problem I really have is the ending, which I won't spoil but it did kind've disappoint me.I don't know if it's more accurate to the book or not, but I do highly recommend this movie.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon May 16, 2016 9:53 am

I actually prefer the ending to that of the animated one. The animated one felt like they had to go that route whereas this one felt a bit more natural.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 16, 2016 10:12 am

As an aside:

View Original PostRay wrote:Last I checked orangutangs don't live in India. Especially not GIANT Orangutangs!

You should check again. The family to which Orangutans belong also includes the three extinct Gigantopithicus species, the largest of which was around three meters in height and did indeed range across southern Asia. Since King Louie is explicitly labeled a Gigantopithicus he's actually in the right spot.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue May 17, 2016 9:30 pm

I wonder if using Gigantopithecus was actually necessary. The orangutan's "historic range extended to southern China and included most of the South East Asian mainland less than 20,000 years ago". (Source)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue May 17, 2016 10:24 pm

This twenty foot tall talking orangutang is so historically inaccurate.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue May 17, 2016 10:34 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:This twenty foot tall talking orangutang is so historically inaccurate.

Well so is a talking bear and talking animals in general, and the idea of a feral child living happily in the wild; but it's Disney so......
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 18, 2016 2:39 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Well so is a talking bear and talking animals in general, and the idea of a feral child living happily in the wild; but it's Disney so......

Think that was the point, mate.

As to Gigantopithicus: I think the size was the sticking point. The fact its range was right there was just a nice bonus.

Return to “Film and Video”