Warner Bros owns King Kong. Potential Godzilla Crossover?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:24 pm

It's not Anno Godzilla related (Annozilla? GodAnno?) but Warner Brothers acquired the rights to the upcoming KING KONG: SKULL ISLAND movie. Meaning both American Godzilla & King Kong are Warner Brother's properties right now. Nothing is official but if the WB wants too they can make a new Godzilla Vs. King Kong movie.

And we all know how popular shared universes are right now with Hollywood.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:53 pm

They'd have to scale up Kong, like WAY a lot, if they want that to be a fair fight anymore.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:14 pm

As long as we don't have dinosaurs who ignore perfectly good food that's in their fucking mouths in order to go after the Turkish Delight that is humans I'll be happy with it. No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:16 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:They'd have to scale up Kong, like WAY a lot, if they want that to be a fair fight anymore.

Or they could make it like Shadow Of The Collosus where kong scales Godzilla to exploit his weakness.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:27 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It's not Anno Godzilla related (Annozilla? GodAnno?) but Warner Brothers acquired the rights to the upcoming KING KONG: SKULL ISLAND movie. Meaning both American Godzilla & King Kong are Warner Brother's properties right now. Nothing is official but if the WB wants too they can make a new Godzilla Vs. King Kong movie.

And we all know how popular shared universes are right now with Hollywood.

You're right that this is not Annozilla related. :P Went ahead and split this into its own thread.

And suddenly a wild link appears! http://deadline.com/2015/09/king-kong-godzilla-legendary-monster-movie-warner-bros-1201521004/
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:18 am

So, uh... I'm still wondering how the whole scale thing is going to work. I mean, Ray's idea of Kong scaling pup Godzilla to exploit his weakness doesn't make for a very long-lasting monster fight. (Especially since Kong is barely even knee-high to Godzilla nowadays.) I can't imagine something like that being played out over the course of the entire movie. I mean, as short as Godzilla's appearance was in the 2014 movie, he still had multiple fights with the MUTOs. The idea of Kong scaling Godzilla sounds like a one-trick-pony that would have to happen only once, and could only happen if the monsters fought in the film only once.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:59 am

No worries on thread splitting. Whatever gets people informed.

As for the scale issue? Never underestimate the power of the Almighty Dollar. If people want to see King Kong fight Godzilla - and based on how much general audiences avoid originality & love franchise name brands they will - then King Kong is going to fight Godzilla.

KONG: SKULL ISLAND is set for an early 2017 release & GODZILLA 2 is marked for a Summer 2018 release so would not be surprised if WB tried to get a VERSUS movie out sometime in 2019 or 2020.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:36 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:As long as we don't have dinosaurs who ignore perfectly good food that's in their fucking mouths in order to go after the Turkish Delight that is humans I'll be happy with it. No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?

And don't forget jumping off cliffs to get it too!

As for how Kong could be scaled up, I think storywise one idea might be that Godzilla could fight a clone of the orginal kong who died in the 20's, but this Kong would have its DNA modified to be bigger and more durable. IT's a goofy idea, but what isn't goofy in a movie about a giant monster with nuclear breath so why not?
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:34 pm

If you're going that route I insist that Godzilla and Clone Kong, or Klong, team up to fight a gigantic Godzilla-Kong hybrid monster, preferably one controlled by aliens from Planet X.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:49 pm

I like it! /Barney from Simpsons.

(Cool idea, but the issue of scale has me stumped, myself...)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:56 pm

King Kong's already a hell of a lot bigger than any normal gorilla, so why not just go for broke and make him as big as he needs to be? There's nothing to lose by this point, and Godzilla vs. King Kong to gain!
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:45 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:If you're going that route I insist that Godzilla and Clone Kong, or Klong, team up to fight a gigantic Godzilla-Kong hybrid monster, preferably one controlled by aliens from Planet X.

This is the movie that we deserve but probably not the one that will be made.

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:04 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:If you're going that route I insist that Godzilla and Clone Kong, or Klong, team up to fight a gigantic Godzilla-Kong hybrid monster, preferably one controlled by aliens from Planet X.

Speaking my language, bro!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:02 pm

King Kong Vs. Godzilla is pretty much going to happen short of the next standalone movies being financial bombs.

Though it might be playing a part in potentially killing Pacific Rim II.

[url]http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywood-gorilla-warfare-s-universal-823715[/url]

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:07 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Though it might be playing a part in potentially killing Pacific Rim II.

That's upsetting. Pacific Rim is at least a relatively fresh franchise for Western film; I'd much rather see a sequel to that than a reboot of something that's been done over and over for the last 80 years.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:53 pm

I'd agree but the monster visuals from Godzilla 2014 are really on point and I really loved the style of the film. While watching it I really had no idea that Godzilla is only visible in the movie for a total of about 9 minutes and that the plot makes no sense.

I also loved that Juliette Binoche's comment that Godzilla is a god is literally true and it flies over 90% of the audience's head despite all the clues.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:24 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'd agree but the monster visuals from Godzilla 2014 are really on point and I really loved the style of the film. While watching it I really had no idea that Godzilla is only visible in the movie for a total of about 9 minutes and that the plot makes no sense.

You're absolutely right there. I watched Godzilla 2014 at a drive-in theater with my roommates at the time, which usually meant more hanging out and being loud rather than actually watching a movie, but I was engrossed in almost every minute of that film. So hopefully we can expect more quality out of Kong and Godzilla if we're sacrificing Pacific Rim in the meantime.
- Sachi

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:59 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'd agree but the monster visuals from Godzilla 2014 are really on point and I really loved the style of the film. While watching it I really had no idea that Godzilla is only visible in the movie for a total of about 9 minutes and that the plot makes no sense.

So, like, every Godzilla movie ever.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:47 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:That's upsetting. Pacific Rim is at least a relatively fresh franchise for Western film; I'd much rather see a sequel to that than a reboot of something that's been done over and over for the last 80 years.

Actually you know what'd be awesome if they do a movie where Godzilla fights the pacific rim monsters, plotwise that would actually make more sense.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:08 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Actually you know what'd be awesome if they do a movie where Godzilla fights the pacific rim monsters, plotwise that would actually make more sense.

Yeah, but those monsters have all the distinctiveness and personality of wet cardboard, so pass. I'd rather retreads of iconic monsters than new ones that are indistinguishable from one another.

Return to “Film and Video”