Asuka's plugsuit

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Asuka's plugsuit

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:57 pm

During Q's first half, we see that the plugsuit that Asuka is wearing has tape all over it suggesting damage. Damage from what exactly? is there any indication as to the cause? (and don't tell me it was from the Bardiel incident, she was wearing a different plugsuit at the time)
Last edited by Arcadia's legacy on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:25 pm

It might just be the accumulation of 14 years' wear and tear. Mari's plugsuit is still in pristine condition and they have the resources to make the new suits, so the only thing I can guess is that they either didn't bother replacing it because it was still functional, or the taped up bits are some kind makeshift modifications they made to it before Operation US.

That suit is a different model from the one in 2.22 anyway. The original has two blue ribs on the collar, while this one has two black triangular markings on the collar and four green ones in the blue triangle at the neckline. It also has two of those circular valves on the left side instead of just one.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:27 pm

To me the tatty plugsuit just symbolises the toughness of their life during the timeskip, and the lack of resources available for care and maintenance beyond what's functional.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:04 pm

That's what makes it stand out so much to me; Asuka and Unit 02 are the only parts of Wille's fleet sporting the scavenger look. The rest of their equipment is...not pristine, but it has that same kind of maintained but lived in look Nerv's did.

Maybe it's just a visual shorthand to show off Asuka's new "mercenary" attitude that Miyamura talked about?
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Given the formation we see the two of them take in Q on two separate occasions, I think it makes sense that Asuka's suit might be torn up a bit while Mari's isn't. Mari tends to play a supporting role for Asuka in battle, offering backup as a sniper and not typically getting close and personal with the enemy. Asuka, on the other hand, is very aggressive and hands-on with her fighting style, and would more likely experience damage during a fight.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:22 pm

All I can come up with is her affection for her eva stuff, it mirrors 02's condition and who else would care about red patches?
I mean isn't this just characterization and no plot? It's about red patches and cyberlimbs but the focus is on Asuka's deterioration.

Oh and the call to EoE wounds, maybe it's like a sort of milestone to Asuka's state of mindrapes

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:20 pm

It's possible she just chose not to have it replaced as some kind of crazy memento.

...but the real answer is, of course, merchandising.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:22 pm

It was a visual cue to fool the viewer, to keep him from thinking over a FREAKING DECADE had passed since the last movie until the last minute.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:23 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:...but the real answer is, of course, merchandising.

I don't think so. it screams symbolism more than it does merchandising
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:30 pm

It could be all of the explanations ever offered, honestly. Asuka's plug suit in the beginning of Q matches the injuries both she and Unit 02 seemed to have taken during Asuka's final fight with the MPEs. So there's call-back references through that costume choice. Her's is the only abused-looking suit in all of Eva Q, which is a sign of personality and possibly even battle positions taken up by the character. Both her and Mari's costumes look closer to the ones they wore in Eva Ha, whereas right after that they wear new plug suits for their new mission towards the end, which suggests some sort of change of Wille/the pilots within the film itself. By the time Rei Q shows up, the common color theme in all of the suits on-screen seems to be more black, with Rei Q being the only one to go full-on black.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:30 pm

The merchandising opportunity came when Shikinami replaced Sōryū. This change merely reinforces that and so is icing on the cherry from that point of view.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:53 pm

Eva Ha

Which one? I'm still a bit lost with acronyms (Q is supposed to be the third one from the rebuild right? Thought I missed the thing from the preview but it was all remade)

they wear new plug suits for their new mission towards the end, which suggests some sort of change of Wille/the pilots within the film itself.

Yeah it probably starts with 02 getting a new arm, like a first layer and then down to the core near the end of the movie, we didn't get a new Asuka or anything though. Prolly an ironic thing since she gets to fight Shinji.
The final fights will always put me off with Asuka almost killing him until he grabs her blades with his bare hands not to fight her, I didn't expect a bitch slap either:D
Last edited by unz on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Ha is the second film. The name comes from a Japanese form of three-part drama (don't ask me why Anno applied it to a group of four films*) in which the parts are called called Jo/Ha/Kyuu. So you can guess where Q came from, and what we sometimes call the first film!

* There's a four-part Japanese form that could have been used instead: Ki-shou-ten-ketsu

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:06 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Ha is the second film. The name comes from a Japanese form of three-part drama (don't ask me why Anno applied it to a group of four films) in which the parts are called called [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo-ha-ky%u016B]Jo/Ha/Kyuu[/i]. So you can guess where Q came from, and what we sometimes call the first film!

:0 thanks

link to Ki-shou-ten-ketsu is broken got there through the bottom page of jo ha kyuu

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:24 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Both her and Mari's costumes look closer to the ones they wore in Eva Ha, whereas right after that they wear new plug suits for their new mission towards the end, which suggests some sort of change of Wille/the pilots within the film itself.

Wille was busy updating their Evas and equipment after they got Unit 01. The new suits probably weren't ready to until the attack on Nerv.

pwhodges wrote:The name comes from a Japanese form of three-part drama (don't ask me why Anno applied it to a group of four films*)

3.0 and 4.0 were originally going to be combined into a single feature, right? That could be why. 3.0 and +1.0 could just be halves of a bigger movie.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:49 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:3.0 and 4.0 were originally going to be combined into a single feature, right? That could be why. 3.0 and +1.0 could just be halves of a bigger movie.

That was later, though (and didn't happen). And having called the third film Q he's having to break the pattern for the fourth.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:25 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Asuka's plug suit in the beginning of Q matches the injuries both she and Unit 02 seemed to have taken during Asuka's final fight with the MPEs. So there's call-back references through that costume choice.

It feels appropriate in its way, given Q's "post-EoE" status.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:43 pm

It's actually a very subtle marketing and titillation technique. Plugsuits are clearly under a lot of tension, so if there's tape over her boob it could pop loose at any moment and let that puppy fly free. The implication, you see, is vastly more alluring than mere exposure.

That's what I have to say about that.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:11 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:It's actually a very subtle marketing and titillation technique. Plugsuits are clearly under a lot of tension, so if there's tape over her boob it could pop loose at any moment and let that puppy fly free. The implication, you see, is vastly more alluring than mere exposure.

See, I was merely thinking of Asuka needing to scrub off all that duct tape glue off her left boob when she got out of the plug suit later. That is, unless the duct tape is holding some other pad in place, rather than actually touching skin.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:18 pm

Maybe she's into that peeling feeling.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”