What does Fuyutsuki actually do?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

What does Fuyutsuki actually do?

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:27 am

What are Fuyutsuki's day-to-day responsibilities? Does he actually have any? From what I can tell his job is to stand around in meetings and I presume that he sits at his desk twiddling his thumbs all day.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:17 am

Even if his job were as simple as being a personal assistant to Gendo, that would still be plenty of work to keep his hands full. He's obviously not just a personal assistant, though; he's a Vice Commander, which I'm sure comes with a hell of a lot more duties, primarily administrative, and he acts in Gendo's place whenever he's away. In episode 08, he personally resided over Asuka and Shinji's debriefing after their initial failure with Israfel.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:04 am

Gendo routinely deputes minutiae like attending City Council meetings, handling obsequious officials, and standing in for him when he's away. Fuyutsuki even complains about it on the train in Episode 11.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:23 pm

Given their paramilitary status and several naval influences in the command center I expect they run Nerv much like a ship. Fuyutsuki is the XO with the job of keeping the ship and it's crew operating smoothly (shittons of paperwork), while Gendo as captain decides what to do with that ship and deals with all the major outside interests including higher command and the enemy. They likely do a fairly decent good cop bad cop routine when appropriate.

I would also expect that with his background in metaphysical biology Fuyu is also in charge of the secret department that handles soul transfers between Rei clones and making viable eva cores. He's probably the one who picked Toji as the next pilot, for instance. I admit it's curious that he wasn't personally heading up the efforts to salvage Shinji in ep20 though, since what could possibly be more his specialty?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:09 pm

That's an interesting perspective, given that the common fanon is to shovel all the evil shit (pilot selection, clone manufacturing) on Ritsuko.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:53 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I would also expect that with his background in metaphysical biology Fuyu is also in charge of the secret department that handles soul transfers between Rei clones and making viable eva cores. He's probably the one who picked Toji as the next pilot, for instance. I admit it's curious that he wasn't personally heading up the efforts to salvage Shinji in ep20 though, since what could possibly be more his specialty?

He'd be redundant given that Ritsuko was there, though, since that's not only her specialty, but her actual job description.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:29 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:That's an interesting perspective, given that the common fanon is to shovel all the evil shit (pilot selection, clone manufacturing) on Ritsuko.

I actually imagine Fuyutsuki being more complicit in the more insidious aspects of the Eva as much (if not more so) than Ritz.

:ritsuko_mug:
Last edited by Rei IV on Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:33 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:I actually imagine Fuyutsuki being more complacent in the more insidious aspects of the Eva as much (if not more so) than Ritz.

:ritsuko_mug:

ITYM 'complicit' but I agree with what you're saying.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:45 pm

@Chuckman:
Fuyu strikes me as the sort of guy who does the dirty work while grumbling about so he can feel it's not really his fault, that he's still somehow clean no matter what he's currently doing. There's simply no way Gendo would let him avoid getting hip-deep in the slime too... hell, he'd probably assign Fuyu questionable tasks that aren't strictly necessary just to watch the old bastard spin that doublethink.

Bagheera wrote:He'd be redundant given that Ritsuko was there, though, since that's not only her specialty, but her actual job description.

The narrative just tosses anything vaguely science-y at her so I have no idea at all what specific field she's actually specialized in.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:27 pm

She has a doctorate in Evil Biology with a minor concentration in malevolence studies.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:39 pm

Given Fuyutsuki's characterization in Episode 21, he's a considerably better person than you give him credit for, NemZ. Fuyu's involvement in the devious work was for the same reason as Yui - out of necessity. I would emphasize here that neither Gendo nor Fuyutsuki are military officers by training and the real military aspects of Nerv's paramilitary affairs could be deputed to whoever is in charge of security - the MIBs, the armed guards, etc. and all of those are far further down the chain. The Evas and their pilots are not dealt with in the most military of manners either, but that's a whole 'nother discussion there.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:08 pm

Ooh! I can answer this, because I actually, in fact, AM an XO!

Taking out the Seele stuff, and assuming that Nerv, as a paramilitary organization, is run as such, Fuyutsuki would be responsible for...

...everything.

Literally everything.

XOs handle supply, scheduling, logistics, some personnel functions, while serving as a personal aide to the Commander, and taking the Commander's role when he is elsewhere (thus taking on all the responsibilities of being a commander in addition to his own duties).

If he's standing around doing nothing, it means he's standing on hand for the Commander's next directive, while preparing to offer guidance and suggestions (as most of the time we see him, he's in a position either in battle when commands are being relayed, or the Commander is speaking to the higher ups). This is essential, because the CO doesn't need to know all the specifics of his unit: he's the 'big picture' guy. That's where the XO comes in: if the CO says, "Attack the hill," the XO can say, "We can't, because we have X number of rounds and Y number of personnel, but the next unit over has this, this, and this."
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:08 am

That... sounds like a pretty shitty job.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:16 am

It's soul crushing!

:asuka_thumbsup:

It's actually not that bad, if you get management down: most of the actual work is handled by other people. The big thing about being an Executive Officer is details: knowing details, or knowing where to find the details. It is the worst job that an officer can have (aside from staff), but it is one of the most important positions in the chain of command.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:18 am

Sounds like a general manager (that's "general" in the non-military sense) or a building/office manager.

Angel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Angel » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:52 am

Fuyutsuki's job is to "handle the rest of this" whenever Gendo is done being an evil bastard for the day. This is confirmed in multiple episodes.
I'm just here for the fan art.

Blockio#938367 wrote:it will be in your best interest to shut up.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:39 pm

The Gendo shits....

:gendoscheme:

....and the Fuyutsuki wipes.

:fuyu_facepalm:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”