Still worth watching after spoiling events?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sonoshee
Embryo

Still worth watching after spoiling events?

•      
  •      

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:06 am

I'm fairly new to Eva, and out of my curiosity I spoiled a lot of key elements of the show ( notably what happens to some characters, the ending, and some other stuff).
I did watch the rebuild movies, but my question is: is the anime still worth watching? How much do you think I'll miss the enjoyment of the show in comparison to having not spoiled it.
wutever

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:59 am

Surely you could not have been spoiled on everything-- and even if you have been, watching the show is still a much different experience than hearing or reading about it. Watch the show. You'll enjoy yourself.

Sonoshee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:04 am

Right you are! heck I think I'm watching it this week. Thanks!
wutever

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:16 am

Having gone into NGE knowing only that it was "if you watch one Japanese robot show, make it this one", it's hard to say -- but comparing the series with my experience of heavily spoiled series over the years, I think it will still have impact. It's the detailed how and why, rather than the what happens that make a show worth watching (or not).

Admittedly there's not a vast field of proper like-for-like comparisons with NGE for what it is; but to take a couple of examples of how it's the build up and the characterization that make the difference, it didn't spoil to say that Simon punches the mugen out of spacetime in TTGL, because at that point you're all aboard the ride already, whereas in PMMM all the shock reveals fall flat if you know what's coming, because the rest of it is so bloodlessly mannered.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sonoshee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:25 am

Ahh I got it, and come to think of it I didn't spoil much of the story besides the overall flow of it.
Speaking of gurren lagann, how does Evangelion compare to TTGL and FLCL?
wutever

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:29 am

On spoiling, you have to decide for yourself; some people can't abide it in general, and others actively seek it out to build up their enthusiasm in advance.

On your new question, Evangelion takes you much deeper into the characters minds than either FLCL or TTGL. They are both also awesome shows in their flashier way, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sonoshee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:31 am

Okay got it ;) Thanks guys!
wutever

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:33 am

I certainly liked Evangelion more than FLCL, but when it comes to Gurren Lagann, I enjoyed both shows so much that I feel it would be wrong to say I liked one more than the other-- but also wrong to say I enjoyed them the same, since I enjoyed both shows in different ways. Evangelion is more psychological, and as PW said, it really takes you into the character's heads. TTGL, however, was more of a fun fist-pumping ride all the way through.

Sonoshee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:36 am

Yeah and based on the rebuilds I watched, Evangelion has a more dark vibe and -I think- somewhat sad at times.
I still need to watch it then I'll decide!
wutever

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Still worth watching after spoiling events?

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:03 pm

View Original PostSonoshee wrote:I'm fairly new to Eva, and out of my curiosity I spoiled a lot of key elements of the show ( notably what happens to some characters, the ending, and some other stuff).
I did watch the rebuild movies, but my question is: is the anime still worth watching? How much do you think I'll miss the enjoyment of the show in comparison to having not spoiled it.
I don't see how you can possibly spoil this show and know too much. Words along don't do it justice and it probably won't make sense to you even after you've seen it. Seriously explain the events of the of the 2nd half of EoE to someone and see if they tell you whats going on during the movie. Probably not.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm not entierly sure it's possible to spoil Evangelion. You'll know stuff about it, sure. But that isn't what would spoil the show for you.

Seven Fifty
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Seven Fifty » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:38 pm

I think it's probably still worth it. I enjoy rewatching it at any rate. The ending isn't really the sort where knowing it in advance much changes your perception of what happens earlier on, I don't think.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:48 pm

I was spoiled on certain things during research about it (certain character's origins, EoE events, etc) but it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the series in the slightest.

I think you'll be fine, although I know sometimes when people are spoiled with series/books/etc, it makes it difficult to properly enjoy.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:49 pm

I knew everything about Eva before I ever watched an episode, and I watched it in reverse (I watched End of Evangelion first). I still love the series, but then again I like spoilers.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Still worth it, definitely. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:11 am

I read synopsis of each episode after 3 just to try visualize what would happen.

The show managed to defy my expectations, as it wasn't the events of the show that necessarily captivated me, but the character's reactions to them. Which no synopsis did justice for.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Sonoshee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:10 am

Ah I get it, thanks guys. I wish I could watch it right now but I'm waiting for the Blu-ray.
wutever

Frakarella
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Frakarella » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:43 pm

IMO it's still worth it.

[url]http://www.loonyhumor.com/tag/anime/[/url]
Last edited by Frakarella on Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”