Best Rebuild fics

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Best Rebuild fics

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Please list the EVA fics associated with the Rebuild quadrilogy that you feel are worth reading, as well as the reasons that you feel make them worth reading
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:04 pm

Reticence is the best-known post-Q completion, and has many points of interest, not least its treatment of the multiple Reis.

A lower-key completion is my own Afterwards..., which is more concerned with how various people come to terms with the past.
(And there's my very short j/k one, The End.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:02 am

Victory and In Tune are definitely worth checking out.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:41 am

Rebuild 3.0 is a fanfic.

I will see myself to the door now. :devil:
Last edited by Rommel on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:33 pm

^
Cold blooded bruh, cold blooded.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:35 pm

The whole concept of writting a continuation fic for a series that isn't over yet seems very odd to me. What is the point of creating something you know will be made obsolete before long? Sorry Paul, I just don't get it.

I could maybe see a divergent fic or a slice-of-life one set witihin the existing story as worthwhile though, and I expect at least one decent crossover between the two will be a thing eventually. As always though 90% of everything is crap, and for fanfics that goes up to 99%.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:34 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The whole concept of writing a continuation fic for a series that isn't over yet seems very odd to me. What is the point of creating something you know will be made obsolete before long? Sorry Paul, I just don't get it.

Some people like to have an idea of the whole picture. If the picture is not complete, they will make theories to fill the gaps. Some theories, or parts of them, may be right, and others wrong; but that doesn't matter, as the theories still helped with understanding of what came before, whether right or wrong. This is the way of it in science, and it's the way my mind works - so when Anno's ending appears, I will appreciate and understand it that bit better because of the way I have studied the possibilities.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I could maybe see a divergent fic [...] as worthwhile though

So, an ending like mine can be seen as a divergent fic written in advance!
Last edited by pwhodges on Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:38 pm

Nemz I actually dealt with the exact problem you described when I wrote fan fiction for naruto way back when I was 16. The way Naruto part 1(before shippuden) ended left the story open to infinite possibilities so it was actually a very exciting and fun time to do naruto fan fiction since you could make up so many radically different things and still stay faithful to the show. So like that was my reason for doing fan fiction for Naruto long before the show was done. That being said I never finished mine ( I regret it). I intended to go back but like you said as new episode came out years later my fan fiction did in fact start to feel obsolete to me so I just abandoned it.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:14 pm

How is it a problem? There are dozens of fics that exist at jumping off points in the already completed television series. And considering how long it's taking for Rebuild to wrap up, why should the fans not wrap it up the way they would like in the meantime?

Don't overthink it.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:45 pm

View Original PostRommel wrote:Rebuild 3.0 is a fanfic.

I will see myself to the door now. :devil:

I've never understood the mindset that allows Eva fans to declare something written by the original author "fanfic" just because it's a different continuity.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:44 pm

View Original PostLennik wrote:I've never understood the mindset that allows Eva fans to declare something written by the original author "fanfic" just because it's a different continuity.

Maybe because they consider it's quality as that of a mediocre fanfic? Then it doesn't matter who author is is. For them it will feel like fanfic, and I'm not surprised. For example take One More Day in Spiderman franchiese... >.>
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:30 am

View Original PostLennik wrote:written by the original author
We don't have the CRC for Q yet, but the process whereby we got Ha was closer to everyone but Anno chipping in to big up their own waifu's part.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:05 pm

View Original PostLennik wrote:I've never understood the mindset that allows Eva fans to declare something written by the original author "fanfic" just because it's a different continuity.

I'm kind of with Stillborn on this: it's more of a quality thing. It's really hard to capture lighting in a bottle twice, and the introduction of certain elements in the previous two films (especially Mari, who I will insist to the bitter end is a Mary Sue) certainly MAKE 3.0 look like a dark fanfic.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Sometimes it's a quality thing, like Gob and Stillborn said, sometimes it's down to "NOT MUH EVA," sometimes it's anger that they didn't get something different. You'll see this attitude crop up in just about any fandom if the story takes a turn that part of the base doesn't care for. I see it all the time in regards to the new DBZ movies from people who don't like the new Super Saiyan forms or who don't like the fact that Gohan is a scholar who doesn't train much and has gotten weaker. If NGE came out today, I really feel like it would be roasted for the last third and End of Eva.

On the subject of actual fanfics, I'm a fan of longer, multi-chapter epics but there seems to be a real shortage of those that are strictly Rebuild-related. The only ones I've seen are already listed here: Reticence and Afterwards. The others I've seen take a mish-mash of elements from NGE and Rebuild to create AU scenarios or they're just short pieces.

Folk Devil
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Folk Devil » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:18 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:On the subject of actual fanfics, I'm a fan of longer, multi-chapter epics but there seems to be a real shortage of those that are strictly Rebuild-related. The only ones I've seen are already listed here: Reticence and Afterwards. The others I've seen take a mish-mash of elements from NGE and Rebuild to create AU scenarios or they're just short pieces.

I think it's because we're at a point in the narrative that doesn't really incentivize writing those long, multi-chapter epics because there's SO much left to speculate on. There is new, canon information coming so authors and readers don't have to tide themselves over in the same way that they do with the Original Series. There isn't as much of an impulse to "fix" stuff yet because there are a lot of possibilities left.

Also, most authors of fanfics tend to be harder-core fans and most harder-core fans tend to agree (fairly or unfairly) that the original series was better.
The Creative Principle: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11251079/1/The-Creative-Principle

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:55 pm

Ah, and because it's bad? what does it matter if the 'original author' is behind it? Lucas took a dump on Star Wars too. When they admit there's no plan, when they admit there are characters without purpose and who basically just invented to cash in on fads, well sorry, what else do you call it? The complete lack of character development or continuation from previous plots in 3.0 is stark evidence of that they simply had no idea what they were doing.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Having seen Q multiple times, and comparing its events with those of the two movie prior, I can safely say that Anno and co. know EXACTLY what they are doing. The relationship between Shinji and Misato I consider to be the prime example of this
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:30 pm

Yes... Quesada also knew what he was doing with his take on Spiderman. He knew exactly where he wanted to take this :lol:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Lennik » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:58 pm

View Original PostRommel wrote:what does it matter if the 'original author' is behind it?

Because that means that by definition, it is not fanfiction.

View Original PostRommel wrote:When they admit there's no plan, when they admit there are characters without purpose and who basically just invented to cash in on fads, well sorry, what else do you call it?

I call it Transformers. These movies don't really fit the description you're using.

View Original PostRommel wrote: The complete lack of character development or continuation from previous plots in 3.0 is stark evidence of that they simply had no idea what they were doing.

All of these points are patently false, though, so I don't know which movies you're talking about. Don't you see the arrogance in claiming that these people don't know what they're doing with their own intellectual property just because you personally don't like it?

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:42 pm

View Original PostLennik wrote: Don't you see the arrogance in claiming that these people don't know what they're doing with their own intellectual property just because you personally don't like it?

No, not at all. In my view, it's no stranger to say "the sequels to X were awful because they didn't retain the essence or the best part of the series and the director/screenwriter/whatever didn't know what he was doing" than it is to say "the first half of the book was good but the author then lost track of all the plot threads and failed to bring them together in a satisfying conclusion".
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Return to “Fanfiction”