Change the characters' voices

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
PurpleandRed
Adam

Change the characters' voices

Postby PurpleandRed » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:11 pm

It has been a decade since people have voiced the series and now they're coming out with the Rebuild movies. Well, their voices seemed to have changed since they voiced the characters in the tv series and I hope for the last Rebuild movie, that the characters can have actual teenagers voicing them. Asuka's voice is soft and a little too high-pitched.
Last edited by PurpleandRed on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asuka, you're not going to have any children.

You don't care about Hikari anymore, Asuka?

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:18 pm

If you're referring to the English dub, yes, the only remaining holdovers from the original ADV Films dub of the TV series are Spike Spencer, Allison Keith, and Tiffany Grant.

This is one of the benefits of watching Evangelion subtitled, they've never (to my knowledge) recast any of the characters.

More to the point, Funimation's cast is pretty much set in stone. Short of someone declining to reprise their role or breaking contract, I don't expect any recasting, and if they did, or added any more characters, they'll be using adult actors.
Last edited by The Eva Monkey on Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:21 pm

Since hardly any of them are even teenagers any more (only one, really), changing for that reason would be a really bad idea! And continuity matters as well, when possible.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:27 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Since hardly any of them are even teenagers any more (only one, really), changing for that reason would be a really bad idea! And continuity matters as well, when possible.

What do you mean?

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:41 pm

Didn't you notice a time skip of fourteen years? Even with the curse of Eva, the other pilots' vocal cords are fourteen years more worn.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:45 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Didn't you notice a time skip of fourteen years? Even with the curse of Eva, the other pilots' vocal cords are fourteen years more worn.

I know that Asuka is 28 mentally but she's still physically 14.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Sort of; but we don't have any further details of how that works. Her body has certainly lived for another fourteen years, so it's undeniably a twenty-eight-year-old "fourteen-year-old" body, with the implications for wear (as I said) and muscle development, for instance, which that implies. So retaining (or returning to) younger VAs is by no means an obvious move. Nor, of course, do we know when the next film will be placed.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby unitM » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:08 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Sort of; but we don't have any further details of how that works. Her body has certainly lived for another fourteen years, so it's undeniably a twenty-eight-year-old "fourteen-year-old" body, with the implications for wear (as I said) and muscle development, for instance, which that implies. So retaining (or returning to) younger VAs is by no means an obvious move. Nor, of course, do we know when the next film will be placed.
If we don't have any further details, neither do you. For all we know, all the Eva pilots could be in a sort of biological stasis, with plot armor thrown on. Asuka sounds the same as 2.22 Asuka and the only evidence we get out of this debate would be Shinji, who directly tells Asuka she looks like she hasn't age one bit, which goes against what you're saying.

If no one knows what the Curse of the Eva is, neither do you. All we do know is it's related to age. That can go in a multitude of directions.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:59 am

Exactly. The point is that we have no clear reason to call for a change in voice actors (given also that "actors" suggests their capability to make adjustments if the plot calls for them).

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Lennik » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:09 pm

If your body doesn't age past 14, then neither do your vocal cords, leaving aside the possibility of throat injury having occurred at some point. We saw Unit 01 strangle Unit 03, but if that did any damage to Asuka's vocal cords, it would have been apparent in 3.0, which it isn't, because her voice really hasn't changed.

Also, while she has 14 years more experience than a normal 14 year old, the fact also remains that if your body doesn't develop past 14, neither should your brain or the hormone levels that affect teenage emotions the way they do. I don't know why people think Asuka and Mari are mentally 28. There's no evidence that they are. Sure, Asuka's changed a little, but to say those changes are indicative of fourteen years of emotional and mental development seems unsupported by evidence.

Plus, I thought it was the emotional states of the 14-year-old pilots that gave them the ability to pilot Eva, which was why adults couldn't do it. I don't remember it having anything to do with the rest of their bodies, so if this is true, aging to 28 mentally should have rendered them unable to pilot.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:31 pm

I don't think it was their physical/mental age as much as it when they were born relative to Second Impact and in the previous series, who their parents were. They haven't really expanded on that special "something" in Rebuild yet.

As for the rest, that really depends on what the Curse of Eva does and what sort of stasis it is. In some of the art for Q, it looks like Asuka's grown her bangs a little longer on the left side to help cover her eye patch, but in others they look about the same. So it may have halted some aspects of their growth/aging but not others, or it could be full stasis. Hard to tell from just one line of dialogue. :uhh:

Lennik
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Lennik » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:46 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I don't think it was their physical/mental age as much as it when they were born relative to Second Impact and in the previous series, who their parents were. They haven't really expanded on that special "something" in Rebuild yet.

:facepalm: I don't know how I forgot about that.

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:As for the rest, that really depends on what the Curse of Eva does and what sort of stasis it is. In some of the art for Q, it looks like Asuka's grown her bangs a little longer on the left side to help cover her eye patch, but in others they look about the same. So it may have halted some aspects of their growth/aging but not others, or it could be full stasis. Hard to tell from just one line of dialogue. :uhh:

This sounds more like art evolution than any intentional display of physical growth. I know the artists pay a lot of attention to the characters' facial expressions because of the messages that they convey, but the length of a lock of hair doesn't seem like something they would plan out so intricately.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:45 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I don't think it was their physical/mental age as much as it when they were born relative to Second Impact and in the previous series, who their parents were.

It's never once implied that Second Impact had some kind of unspecified effect on developing embryos that lets them pilot Evas. Something involving physiological age actually makes the most sense, considering the artificial maturation of the Rei clones.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:26 pm

It's never explained what makes someone candidate material beyond the mother's soul thing. The rest is just handwaved away as "yes they have to be 14 because the plot requires it." I think the evidence is vague enough to support either conclusion.

Like you said, the Rei clones are artificially aged to make them seem 14, which makes perfect sense if they needed to be 14 for some physiological reason.

On the other hand, it's pretty suspect that all of the pilots except for Rei (who obviously has extraordinary circumstances) were conceived within six months of Second Impact, Shinji in particular being born almost exactly 9 months later. And why pick Asuka to pilot Unit 02 when she's four if she wouldn't be able to test with the equipment for another 9 years?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:48 pm

BlueBasilisk: It's hard to take the Second Impact thing that seriously when the extent of the "evidence" is circumstantial. No mechanics have been offered whatsoever, to my knowledge, giving the idea no real explanatory power.

"They can pilot because they were born after Second Impact!"
"Why?"
"Because!"
"Why?"
"JUST BECAUSE!"
"Why?"

When the actual requirement for the other pilots is not established at all, how are Rei's circumstances determined to be "extraordinary" and handwaveable? Isn't... more information required?

And why pick Asuka to pilot Unit 02 when she's four if she wouldn't be able to test with the equipment for another 9 years?

Perhaps the better question is how the heck this works with the timing of Rei's creation. Kyoko died the same year that Rei was created. Rei 1 aged normally, judging from the flashback in 2009-2010-ish. This means that Rei 1 was designated an Eva pilot (there had to be a First Children in order for Asuka to be called the Second...) when she would've been an infant!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:01 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:It's never explained what makes someone candidate material beyond the mother's soul thing. The rest is just handwaved away as "yes they have to be 14 because the plot requires it." I think the evidence is vague enough to support either conclusion.

Like you said, the Rei clones are artificially aged to make them seem 14, which makes perfect sense if they needed to be 14 for some physiological reason.

On the other hand, it's pretty suspect that all of the pilots except for Rei (who obviously has extraordinary circumstances) were conceived within six months of Second Impact, Shinji in particular being born almost exactly 9 months later. And why pick Asuka to pilot Unit 02 when she's four if she wouldn't be able to test with the equipment for another 9 years?

This girl was too young to be working in Nerv.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:25 pm

Off topic, closing.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”