Ys video game series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Ys video game series

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:14 pm

I discussed the OVA (and one of the soundtracks) here.

So uh, anybody like this game series? Sounds really under-appreciated by today's standards, though for '87 it was apparently ground-breaking. From what I understand, the battle systems, etc are different than FF and the like, which I'm okay with.

I loved the OVAs and that one soundtrack I mentioned--Fantasy series are generally fun stuff for me.

Off to start up Ys I & II Chronicles+!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:22 pm

About all I know about the series is how to pronounce "Ys" (like the "eese" in "geese") and a small smattering of its tunes. For some reason, I never considered looking into it, but that actually isn't a bad idea. Keep us posted on your findings. :3
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:26 pm

I have it on Steam but haven't touched it yet. In a younger year I'd have said "But now's a good time to change that," but I keep chasing after the new thing and never finishing what's already on my plate so I'm going to be realistic and say I doubt I'll get to it anytime soon. :lol:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:07 pm

The series interests me, but I haven't played any of them yet. I'm thinking about picking up Memories of Celceta for my PS TV to try the series out. The Ys series seems to be a lot like Star Ocean as far as art styles and battle systems go.
[Redacted]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:27 pm

Mainly getting a feel for the game tonight, though I think the OVAs made me appreciate this more! The bump technique is certainly different but fun. Easy Mode for sure!

Aesthetically, I have it set to Chronicles style graphics with Complete style BGM. These I & II Chronicles+ controls are a little confusing, dunno if it's a Steam thing or because I don't play PC games too often. (Played Sierra stuff as a kid, so maybe it's not confusion...)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:33 pm

You're not playing with a gamepad? I use a PS4 controller for all my gamepadding needs, though it requires a little wizardry to set it up. Alternatively an Xbox 360 gamepad works out of the box.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:17 pm

Nope, just using a keyboard the old-fashioned way. Though we do have our PS3 controller we sometimes use for PC stuff.

As an aside, there were a few little things I wish I first read an FAQ on (getting a free item from a character, etc), though what's the fun with RPGs if you don't discover on your own while playing, huh?

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:51 pm

I actually have a few of these titles I got in various Steam sales. I might have to join you in finally playing through them, heard good things about them just never actually got around to playing them. Steam sale titles are kinda like that :/

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:25 pm

It actually blows my mind that Ys isn't more popular. First time I played it I was surprised I'd never heard of it. I bought it randomly during a steam sale a couple of years ago. Like I wish I could smack some sense in to the guy in charge of making Ys games and tell him that Ys games would be perfect on 3ds , xbox arcade and the PSN market place. I don't get why they are sticking to pc mostly. Seems like a waste of a franchise to me. Hopefully word of mouth will get them bigger in the west eventually.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:24 pm

The 'just walk into things' combat system sounds incredibly bland.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:54 pm

It's more like repetitively running into the enemy to kill 'em. I like it because it's different from the norm of say, the FF or Persona series.

I'm actually already taking a little break from Ys because a new game took my attention--more on that in currently playing thread. :lol:

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:48 pm

I can see why you would think it's bland but My favorite genre of video game is action. Stuff like Ninja gaiden and Bayo so I'm like really attracted to simple action stuff like Ys. Boss fights are good too.

Anyway Humble bundle is having a sale for 4 different YS games for 66 percent off each so if anyone wants to try something new now is a good chance,

[url]https://www.humblebundle.com/store[/url]
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”