Otakon 2015 Industry Panels

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:18 am

Otakon industry panel at 3:15 Eastern today, I say this is the last chance to see this in 2015, otherwise 3.33 is officially vaporware. :facepalm:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:08 am

I'm at Otakon, and have no real interet in this panel. Funi will announce it when they announce it, and we'll all know regardless of whether we were there.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:02 pm

Certainly a very zen attitude to take-- but you're certainly right. Being at the industry panel is only really necessary if you want to be one of the first thousand or so to know (which when it comes down to it is not necessary, but is certainly very cool, and they occasionally give you the opportunity to get free stuff.)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:20 pm

nothing, not even the stuff they got in 2013 like escaflone/outlaw star.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:22 pm

I spoke with a source very close to production at Khara.

1) The ball is in Funimation's court. Funi is not being held up by Khara.

2) Though Anno is working on Godzilla, production on the final Rebuild film is active and ongoing. The wheels are in fact turning.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:38 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I spoke with a source very close to production at Khara.

So basically Funi at this point is using the Khara subtitles as a excuse to either put off the release date till a time to milk the sales or cover up any major work they need to do on their end
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:52 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I spoke with a source very close to production at Khara.

2) Though Anno is working on Godzilla, production on the final Rebuild film is active and ongoing. The wheels are in fact turning.

I'm glad you said this because I was going to blame Khara seeing how long its been, surely Funi wants my money I thought but apparently not. The 2 point makes me very happy, as that's actually more important to me at this point.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:53 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I was going to blame Khara seeing how long its been, surely Funi wants my money...

It seemed most logical and probable that it was being held up in review, but the individual I spoke with insisted that Khara fulfilled obligations and was not holding it up, that it is in Funimation's hands.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:54 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:2) Though Anno is working on Godzilla, production on the final Rebuild film is active and ongoing. The wheels are in fact turning.

I couldn't really care less about the Funimation release because I own a Japanese copy of 3.33, so this is the note that I'm really excited about. It's wonderful to know that Shin is underway, even if we won't see it for a while-- a small assurance is nonetheless an assurance!

I'd be interested how you got to know somebody as a contact who knows about Khara's production. Being the Evamonkey has its perks, it would seem.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:44 pm

EVA MONKEY THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD ALL DAY THANK YOU!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:45 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Being the Evamonkey has its perks, it would seem.

Knowing people who know people. Staffing, paneling, etc. Occasionally someone introduces you to, or is hanging out with someone, and you're like HOLY SHIT. I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:47 pm

All I can say about the Funi/Khara fiasco is "Wow". Honestly irritated (though not surprised?) to hear that--I was about to start blaming Khara, myself!

I'm feeling pretty chill about FINAL since I'm really looking forward to Anno's Godzilla, so eh, I can wait. (Anno's take on Godzilla will probably be the first actual Godzilla flick I'll watch.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

funi haets muni

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:53 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:1) The ball is in Funimation's court. Funi is not being held up by Khara.

Not surprising in the least. I really couldn't come up with any reasonable excuse as to why Khara would cockblock it this long. Then again, I can't come up with any reason Funi would delay it for so long. You'd think Rebuild would be a huge money maker for them.

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:2) Though Anno is working on Godzilla, production on the final Rebuild film is active and ongoing. The wheels are in fact turning.

Now here's some good news. Really glad to hear nothing is holding up production on Final, considering all we've heard about Anno's depression and his involvement other projects. Maybe I'll get to finish Rebuild before I become a grizzled old man after all.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:20 pm

If FINAL is in production, there could very well be (albeit very tiny) chance that FUNimation might have an idea of releasing the two movies together. Considering how balls to the walls 3.0's plot was, it might help the average viewer to have the next movie right there on standby after they finish it.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Re: funi haets muni

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:28 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Not surprising in the least. I really couldn't come up with any reasonable excuse as to why Khara would cockblock it this long. Then again, I can't come up with any reason Funi would delay it for so long. You'd think Rebuild would be a huge money maker for them.

You'd definitely think they'd want to have something out to capitalize on the 20th Anniversary of the show at the very least.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:40 pm

^
Maybe Funi is getting the rights to remasters as well?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:29 pm

The Question for me now is what would be more foolish: Keep waiting until Funi releases it (the next big opportunity for them to announce it would be New York Comic-Con in October) or buy the Japanese version despite having no subs and no feasible way for me to add them, thus making the thing an expensive paperweight, only for Funi to announce it not too long after I get it.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:25 pm

cyharding: A BD drive would probably be the smart thing to purchase first, in that case.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:20 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:The Question for me now is what would be more foolish: Keep waiting until Funi releases it (the next big opportunity for them to announce it would be New York Comic-Con in October) or buy the Japanese version despite having no subs and no feasible way for me to add them, thus making the thing an expensive paperweight, only for Funi to announce it not too long after I get it.

If your player can play Region-A discs (North/South America, Japan, SE Asia) then you ought to get the officially-licensed Hong Kong BD of 3.33, which has English subs. Play-Asia is selling it for $18.99 + shipping right now.

The only thing it's missing versus the JP release is the live-action "Giant God Warrior" short, but since that's not part of the film itself it's not that big of a deal (to me, at least).

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:16 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:The Question for me now is what would be more foolish: Keep waiting until Funi releases it (the next big opportunity for them to announce it would be New York Comic-Con in October) or buy the Japanese version despite having no subs and no feasible way for me to add them, thus making the thing an expensive paperweight, only for Funi to announce it not too long after I get it.

I bought the BD so that I wouldn't feel guilty about torrenting a version with English subs. Besides, the Japanese version is pretty cool-- even if you can't understand what's being said, it's cool to see on your television. If you watch the subbed version enough, you'll remember what's being said well enough to enjoy the unsubbed version, or so I find.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”