Eva 01 themed shinkansen train

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

Eva 01 themed shinkansen train

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:54 pm

http://www.500type-eva.jp/

design looks pretty cool

[URL=http://someimage.com/PiAFQ69]Image[/URL]

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:09 pm

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/07/24/the-evangelion-shinkansen-will-let-you-ride-the-rails-like-a-cool-angel-this-fall/
JR West’s press release also says that an array of Shinkansen Evangelion Project merchandise will be available, and that passengers can look forward to the Evangelion theme extending to the interior of the train as well.

A given on the merch, the question is, do I need to ride the train to get some of it? At least the line will be in service through March 2017, so there's time to head over and ride it! Won't be a cheap ride, but would be worth it.

By way of comparison, the Garupan train costs ~$2 one way and is as fast as a bus:

Last edited by AR-99 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:13 pm

That's it! We've reached peak Eva Merchandising levels! Alert! Alert!

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:11 pm

Think it'll have orange tinted windows for that proper "hell train" experience? :lol:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:04 pm

Pretty cool stuff:

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Evangelion Bullet Train shown off in real life.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Yamashita has been attending some fancy opening ceremonies today and tweeting his way through, also going for a ride:

"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Clever bit of promoting for the bullet train:

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:12 pm

(There's already a thread about those pictures here.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Eva 01 themed shinkansen train

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 11, 2018 3:21 pm

This tweet pertains to the end of the Eva Bullet Train. Here's a transcription and a translation. I don't guarantee it's 100%, but it should be mostly correct. I took the liberty of making the train a lady on account of the letter being addressed to the train as if it were a person. (As far as I can tell, anyway. Maybe "[name of train]-sama" is just a formality that refers to people associated with the train and its upkeep. If this is the case, please let me know.)

エヴァ新幹線様江。

長きに渡る運行業務、どうも御苦労様でした。

運行終了は一抹の寂しさを感じますが、2016年5月に妻の両親、

母親と叔母と妻と6人で乗った時にはお世話になりました。

あの先頭車両が新山口駅入線した時のインパクトは妻共々、今でも忘れられません。

新神戸までの乗車は、皆がすごく喜び、楽しんでいて家族の良き想い出となっています。

本当にありがとうございましたた。

庵野秀明

Dear Madam Eva Bullet Train,

My dearest gratitude for staying up and running for such a long time.

I feel a tinge of sadness that your service has come to an end, m'lady. But I am indebted to you for the time I rode you with my wife, her parents, my mother, and my aunt back in May 2016.

My wife and I have yet to forget the impact that your lead car made when it arrived at Shin-Yamaguchi Station.

We have lovely family memories of taking you all the way to Shinkobe and everyone having a wonderful time.

Thank you really and truly,

Hideaki Anno
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri May 11, 2018 5:48 pm

^ That is absolutely adorable. Is Anno turning into an otaku?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 11, 2018 6:00 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ That is absolutely adorable. Is Anno turning into an otaku?

Turning into? He's always been one. :tongue: (Check out the manga and/or anime version of Insufficient Direction if you can -- Moyoco lays her husband's nerdy proclivities bare in the cutest way imaginable.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Anno is a fucking nerd.
He's one of us.

That message is more poetic than I expected.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri May 11, 2018 6:59 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Turning into? He's always been one. :tongue: (Check out the manga and/or anime version of Insufficient Direction if you can -- Moyoco lays her husband's nerdy proclivities bare in the cutest way imaginable.)

Well given his hatred of otaku in the past, I just assumed he hadn't taken that dive. Color me mildly surprised.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Well given his hatred of otaku in the past, I just assumed he hadn't taken that dive. Color me mildly surprised.

Criticism of others is often strongest when it's something personal like this. Anno went through a period where he recognized the shortcomings of the otaku identity and "lifestyle", but had trouble squaring this away with the joy his hobbies brought him, and this conflict was dramatized in his work. If at this time he "hated" otaku, it was as much a manifestation of unresolved self-loathing as it was outwardly directed.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:34 am

He has said that those who criticize otaku without being otaku themselves are acting in a dumb manner.
He does it because he is one, so he's talking to his peers. It's something like self-improvement.
But as shown here he can be very lighhearted about it, like with the train thing.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat May 12, 2018 4:57 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:(don't quote entire posts when it's not needed, please -Reichu)

"m'lady" :lol:

Anno is really a big cute nerd :nyao:
Last edited by Joseki on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 12, 2018 5:40 am

Alas, the train being a lady is a translation liberty, as I mention at the start.

(Normally I would attempt to be more upstanding and avoid this kind of liberty, but as soon as I saw it was a letter to an Eva-01 train I decided I was going to have fun. :devil: Between the Eva-01 motif and the convention in English for machines you ride to be 'female', it felt justifiable enough in translation...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat May 12, 2018 12:13 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:He has said that those who criticize otaku without being otaku themselves are acting in a dumb manner.
He does it because he is one, so he's talking to his peers. It's something like self-improvement.
But as shown here he can be very lighhearted about it, like with the train thing.

That makes total sense.

Still, its a shame the train is shutting down. I wonder if it'll end up in a museum.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat May 12, 2018 4:08 pm

I just recently learned that 3 of the Shinkansen train lines are named Hikari, Nozomi, and Kodama. So, basically all the Horakis are named after speedy trains.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”