A Time of Life: A Rebuild of Evangelion Visual Novel

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

SonofCarnelian
Embryo

A Time of Life: A Rebuild of Evangelion Visual Novel

•      
  •      

Postby SonofCarnelian » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Hey EvaGeeks! I've been hard at work on this project for a while now but I'm excited that I can finally release it into the wild. Entitled A Time of Life, the story takes place in the Rebuild of Evangelion universe. In my opinion, it helps bridge a critical divide between Evangelion 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance and Evangelion 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo. It all gets told from the perspective of Mari Illustrious Makinami and the game itself clocks in at about 15 minutes long.

All of the art came from the incredible fraubriggs, who truly did a fantastic job on every aspect. I’m so glad I could finally collaborate with her and I know for a fact that her art elevates the material far beyond my wildest hopes.

You can download the game here!

Thanks to the Renpy engine, it runs on Mac, Linux, and Windows!

Compliments and constructive criticism are both greatly appreciated![/url]
Visual novel novice. Unapologetic RE-TAKE fan. Warhammer 40,000 junkie.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:18 pm

So it's basically a Mari and Asuka dating Sim?

SonofCarnelian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SonofCarnelian » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Far shorter. 15 minutes, tops. My first project with Renpy. Straight line, no choices. Just a story that needed telling, in my opinion.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Woohoo! I'm a sucker for visual novels, having made an Eva 2.22/3.33 one in 2010, and just completing a Sailor V one last month.

I'm not necessarily into AsuMari, though I always love me some yuri (shoujo-ai in this case). Very adorable artwork and music! I like how you kept Mari nice and mysterious too, since it can fit with whatever FINAL throws us about her!

Though, what was the squiggle mark on Mari's right cheek? An injury of some sort?

Oh, one last question: May I mention your game on the EGF twitter? :wink:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

SonofCarnelian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SonofCarnelian » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:23 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Woohoo! I'm a sucker for visual novels, having made an Eva 2.22/3.33 one in 2010, and just completing a Sailor V one last month.

I'm not necessarily into AsuMari, though I always love me some yuri (shoujo-ai in this case). Very adorable artwork and music! I like how you kept Mari nice and mysterious too, since it can fit with whatever FINAL throws us about her!

Though, what was the squiggle mark on Mari's right cheek? An injury of some sort?

Oh, one last question: May I mention your game on the EGF twitter? :wink:

Of course! I would be honored if you mentioned this on the official EGF Twitter.

I believe my artist, Fraubriggs, added the bandage on the right cheek as an indicator of the lingering physical damage that Mari may have suffered either during her battle against the Angel in Unit-02 or the effects of "Beast mode."

(PS: I have a Mac, or I would play your stuff! Thanks for telling me though!)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:09 pm

:D

___

I know there are Windows VMs for Macs, but I guess it's not always easy to implement? My boyfriend occasionally plays around with one on his Macbook, though he has a Windows machine, too.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

chunkylover42
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby chunkylover42 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:57 am

Will you ever do more?
I was just getting into it when it ended.
This is PAINFULLY too short, but so good.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Seoul Gamer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seoul Gamer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:23 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I know there are Windows VMs for Macs, but I guess it's not always easy to implement? My boyfriend occasionally plays around with one on his Macbook, though he has a Windows machine, too.

Funny that you should mention that, because I actually found your visual novel yesterday and played it using my Windows VM on my MacBook. While it worked for the most part, I couldn't actually see any of the dialogue options because of VirtualBox's crappy DirectX drivers. -_-

That meant that whenever I was presented with an empty screen, I had to save the game and then randomly click around the screen until I hit the option I wanted by accident. :P
Be warned, I may occasionally ask stupid questions.

SonofCarnelian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SonofCarnelian » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:03 am

View Original Postchunkylover42 wrote:Will you ever do more?
I was just getting into it when it ended.
This is PAINFULLY too short, but so good.

Firstly, thanks so much for reading the story! It means a great deal to me. And thank you for the compliment. I'm incredibly flattered you liked it.

Truthfully, I had never coded anything before this project. Even just this short amount taxed what meager skills I have. Next time, I'll make it longer and make it have branching paths/multiple endings. But for this one, I just wanted a short story to prove to myself I could do it.

Regarding doing more, I have every intention of continuing to work with the Renpy engine. Whether I keep working within the Evangelion universe or do something else, I'm not sure. I do have an outline for an expansive story, detailing the gap between Evangelion 2.22 and 3.33. But that would take a Herculean effort and it might all get invalidated by FINAL. So I'm cautious on that front.

But thank you so much for your question!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:38 pm

This is really great. Thanks for making it, and for sharing! It's de facto headcanon now, if that means anything.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

chunkylover42
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby chunkylover42 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:34 am

View Original PostSonofCarnelian wrote:Firstly, thanks so much for reading the story! It means a great deal to me. And thank you for the compliment. I'm incredibly flattered you liked it.

Truthfully, I had never coded anything before this project. Even just this short amount taxed what meager skills I have. Next time, I'll make it longer and make it have branching paths/multiple endings. But for this one, I just wanted a short story to prove to myself I could do it.

Regarding doing more, I have every intention of continuing to work with the Renpy engine. Whether I keep working within the Evangelion universe or do something else, I'm not sure. I do have an outline for an expansive story, detailing the gap between Evangelion 2.22 and 3.33. But that would take a Herculean effort and it might all get invalidated by FINAL. So I'm cautious on that front.

But thank you so much for your question!

yeah I wouldnt bother with bridging the gap
Anno worked so hard purposely making it incredibly hard to understand
I reckon Asumari fanfic stuff is the way to go
I know nothing about python but I'd be happy to help in any way I can
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

SonofCarnelian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SonofCarnelian » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:16 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:This is really great. Thanks for making it, and for sharing! It's de facto headcanon now, if that means anything.

It means a great deal. Frankly, that's about the greatest compliment any piece of fanfiction can get. So thank you very much!

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:53 pm

I haven't downloaded it yet - I don't think I could handle the feeeeeeeeels - but at least it's a break in the drought of AsuMari material.[/i]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:26 pm

I dunno if I should download this. . . on top of my Laptop not being the Spring Chicken she used to be. Is the story any real good? Does he SonofCarnelian address Asuka's angelic contamination, and alienation, y'know all the grimdark we've come to know and love from Evangelion?

SonofCarnelian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SonofCarnelian » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:33 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I dunno if I should download this. . . on top of my Laptop not being the Spring Chicken she used to be. Is the story any real good? Does he SonofCarnelian address Asuka's angelic contamination, and alienation, y'know all the grimdark we've come to know and love from Evangelion?

Well, I don't think my little JPEGs will really tax your laptop. I played a translation of Girlfriend of Steel on a laptop circa 2008, and that probably has more complex code than mine.

And while I'm a huge fan of grimdark themes (hence my Warhammer 40k profile picture), I didn't think that this story needed overt darkness or horror. Any tragedy in the story stems from the fact that, at this point in the Rebuild universe, the world teeters between salvation and the post-apocalyptic environment we see in 3.33. And yet Asuka makes the choice, some might say foolishly, to invest in another person after getting hurt so badly by Shinji in 2.22. Heartbreak comes from the fact that Mari has an uphill battle in winning Asuka's affection.

I don't address Asuka's angelic contamination because 3.33 didn't give us nearly enough information on it and I didn't want to start overstepping my fanfiction bounds. Besides, there's so much more to talk about than just the technobabble of angelic contamination and the pseudoscience of the whole Evangelion franchise. I do think I covered her alienation pretty well though, in how long it takes her to even communicate with Mari on any level.

Still, your choice. If you do give it a download, please let me know. I'm interested in all feedback people have for me.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:12 pm

It was cute. . . but there really wasn't much to speak of in terms of content. I finished the whole thing in less than 5 minutes.

I'm glad it's around, and I know it was fanmade and free. But I guess I was just expecting more.

I actually have a couple Ideas for my own Mari-Asuka interquel but between my other fic, homework, etc. I haven't had much time to write it.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:50 pm

Don't have much to say, but I enjoyed the simplicity of it all. Great first draft.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Return to “Fan Works”