Games you want to be made, but probably won't make yourself

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Games you want to be made, but probably won't make yourself

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:15 pm

Don't have any at the moment, but if i scrap any ideas, they'll be dumped here. Everyone else, feel free to post ideas. Don't post anything you may develop, so it's not stolen. If i decide to develop a game concept posted here, i'll pm the poster to ask if they want to help. Others may not be so courteous, so if it's stolen, whoops.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:16 pm

I'm very good at starting things, not so great at finishing them. I have several game concepts, video, cards and tabletop in various stages of development for... whenever. I have some credits for games though, graphics on a couple phone aps and a pc fangame.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:29 am

I've tried to make an RPG with RPG Maker several times in my life.

Each time I end up doing less and more at the same time, somehow.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:04 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm very good at starting things, not so great at finishing them. I have several game concepts, video, cards and tabletop in various stages of development for... whenever. I have some credits for games though, graphics on a couple phone aps and a pc fangame.
Dude, I am exactly the same way. If you saw my ~/Documents/Programming directory or, worse, my ~/Documents/Junk directory, you would be appalled. Projects forlorn for years that I gave up on but never got rid of.

I've found that the more sit-down planning I put into something, the more likely I am to get further into the project. Though still not done, my RPG engine is a great example of that.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:15 pm

Basically I need somebody to pay me to do stuff. Those gaming projects I actually get done. :tongue:

Current backlog of personal gaming projects that may never get finalized:
  • megaman 8bit fangame - quite a bit of progress on this one, but the team has stalled out
  • MMX fangame - concept only
  • Castlevania fangame - concept only
  • Streetfighter-ish game - concept only
  • RPG (Square 16bit era stuff inspired) - concept only
  • tabletop tactical robot combat game - alpha, playtesting showed it really needs an overhaul
  • historical-based CCG game with board game elements - 80% to alpha
  • 3.75-ish D&D revamp - abandoned when v5 came out and didn't completely suck
  • Avatar-inspired wuxia tabletop RPG with an original system - core mechanics ~70 worked out

Currently working on revamping an old world I made decades ago for a d&d v5 campaign.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:15 am

A 3D Mother series game, although the fan-made Mother 4 looks like a lot of fun.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:28 am

I kinda wanna have a go at making a game in RPG Maker (which I own thanks to Donut). I have 3 ideas:

1: A surreal horror type game (taking inspiration from Yume Nikki, .flow, Corpse Party and Middens without being a clone of any of those games) where a group of friends are trapped inside a world made from their own nightmares.
2: A light-hearted JRPG named "Strawberry Fields Forever" (named after the song, like Ogre Battle: March Of The Black Queen was) featuring adventuring, monsters, romance and bawdy humour.
3: A vicious mockery of "walking simulators" (A Machine for Pigs, Gone Home, Sunset etc) with a blend of black comedy and nightmarish horror.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm

A game with a lesbian main character that's actually really fucking good.
Preferably an rpg so we get more character.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:56 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I kinda wanna have a go at making a game in RPG Maker (which I own thanks to Donut).

:devil:
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:21 pm

A first-person shooter built off of the Destiny engine, with sixteen playable characters across a diverse array of universes - a massive crossover disguised as an FPS if there ever was one. Would have at least seven expansions, each adding their own lineup of characters and enemy types. Characters would have greater freedom of movement compared to previous FPS' (including Destiny, as mobile as Guardians are already) and access to multiple abilities and supers at once. Vehicles would be equally as varied, ranging from the mundane (hoverbike-likes, tanks, single-pilot airbornes) to the extravagant (starships, giant mecha, giant-Eldritch-Abominations-disguised-as-mecha), and weapons would share the same characteristics (ever heard of a nuclear railshotgun?).

And if I had my way after all of this, the first Raid activity would be...

SPOILER: Show
The End of Evangelion. Not played straight, of course - in a game where universes collide with the frequency and subtlety of drag racers, you're bound to face more than the JSSDF and the Mass-Production Evas on your way to prevent Third Impact...assuming you don't simply have to face GNR as a final boss when all is said and done. The stakes are much higher, of course - multiple universes means Third Impact may reach farther than Evangelion, and failure may mean that all of reality faces complementarity.

Yeah, there's a reason I don't have my own video game studio.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:16 pm

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:A first-person shooter built off of the Destiny engine, (snip)

The licensing would be expensive, but you could probably make it back. Make sure you keep in enough popular franchises that a large amount of people would be interested.

[Quote trimmed. Don't quote entire posts. - Staff.]
/hj

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:31 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:The licensing would be expensive, but you could probably make it back. Make sure you keep in enough popular franchises that a large amount of people would be interested.

Honestly, I wouldn't care if the licensing fees bankrupted me for the rest of my natural life - simply seeing the final product in the flesh, in real life, would be enough for me.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:35 am

I know that feel, Vegeta. I personally would love to revive the Black Rock Shooter franchise with a character action hack and slash type game (gameplay wise equal parts Lollipop Chainsaw, Vanquish and Darksiders, with heavy tone inspiration from the latter) with an epic 12 hour long story mode consisting of battling across an utterly vast open world, with a rich story filled with betrayal and intrigue. Also lots of shoutouts to other BRS stories (the PSP game, Innocent Soul etc) and Huke's other artwork/stories. I absolutely adore Huke's work, and I think his unique visual style would be perfect for a high end game. Ideally it would be released on major consoles and PC, and would be set in the Hollow World, so lots of gothic architecture and twisted, barren landscapes dotted with towering fortresses and roamed by grotesque undead technorganic monsters.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:42 pm

I personally want to write a Gundam-themed top-down turn-based strategy game.

I already have the project created in Eclipse (Java IDE) but haven't worked on it for... over a year, actually. I can get the coding done, but lack graphical resources so badly that I'm forced to use sprites illegally ripped from the net as placeholders.

Although it's Gundam-themed, I intend to make the game fully moddable - made easier by the fact that I'm using Java, whose ClassLoader object allows importing packages during runtime. So it would theoretically be possible to have Evas gutting each other instead of robots, if whoever writes that part of the code sets everything up correctly.

Of course, I need actual motivation to restart work on this...
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:37 am

I'm working on a third person shooter arena on ue4 as hobby. I'm neither a programmer nor designer so it's taking ages to learn and build a tech demo and I won't make a map till I get some production ready movement which appeals me in terms of unrestricted speed (tribes, quake) and agility (walljumps/runs/dashes and whatever).
I can't pretend I've thought about everything but I want things simple for the sake of the whole game, the feedback and experimentation (guns, modes, maps etc).
In terms of movement, guns and maps..having multiple hitboxes for headshot slows down movement for the game to be playable, along with navigation etc. I want unrestricted speed and I need guns with zero bullet spread for that along with a single hitbox, ultimately things like unreal tournament and serious sam are not nearly as situational in their gun fires as they would like to think. If anything a lot of situations are boiled down to headshot and make for dull encounters.
Weapon wise I need simple ones, it's quake guns but tweaked, for example Reflex's starting weapon shoots 3 projectiles and that's better feedback compared to your usual quake shotgun. Pick up wise it's Quakelive and the armor dmg absorption is going to be the same (66%).
Map wise, I guess I'll tweak some old popular ones (who hasn't copied and pasted Facing Worlds?) and I want powerful visual. I'm not sure about it but I want guns and every other model to fit no matter the setting, the same way halo guns and master chief look fine in space/beaches/mountains etc, so I have a lot of inspirations. I guess a simple thing to make is minimal models and a map made of cubes, except I want the tension of jyoshikoheipn13 action with "thin wire" negative spaced backgrounds and heavily textured models and guns so I get to decorate the map with said models (guts).
Because of simplicity I think I'll rip off either mirror's edge colour code to highlight white (?) things on waves of colours or set the map in a desert so it's all different yellows/ browns/ocras like dedust and it's fucking straight.
The real challenge is coming up with interesting guns (I have and want to test them) and modes (I have something in mind but it's too soon for anything really).

If I really give a tribute to anything at all it will be eva's neo tokyo 3 for the lolz and skyscrapers destruction because who cares about level design eh?;0

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:44 am

I did some screwing about in Unreal Engine 2 a few years ago, trying to get the weapons and items in UT2004's Evarena mod work with vanilla maps. I could help you with some coding if you really want, but I probably won't be able to actually test the code; my laptop is barely capable of running Unreal Engine 3 as it is.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:00 am

I'd love to make a Metroidvania game, sadly I have none of the necessary skills. People like Tom Happ who supposedly single-handedly made Axiom Verge amaze me.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:06 am

I'm at the point I need to wait for ue4 to update a bit and actual devs to come up with solutions to some stuff, till then I'm not touching anything and just study some books. Not going to learn unrealscript

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:25 pm

After Rewatching this video from the guys at extra credits, I feel like talking about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_xG1Yg_QoM

Since I'm not a game designer I figure I'll just post this idea here and see if anyone thinks it's a good idea. I think it could use some tweaking, but I think the concept is sound.

I'd like to see a fighting game with a genuinely engaging story. I want a fighting game that's has elements a Tell-Tale style multiple choice multiple ending game.

What if the player plays the game, and every fight he wins or loses effects the story for the rest of the characters in the story. and you only have a limited number of tries for a fight, if you lose a fight, that's it, and your character either takes on another role in the story or if you lose multiple times while using that character, he/she killed and never seen again.

I haven't played it yet, but I was inspired by watching some lets plays of the horror game Until Dawn. Where, if you play the game right you can get all the characters to the end of the game alive. If you play the game wrong, you can potentially kill everyone or condemn them to a fate worse than death. I want to see something like Until Dawn, but done for the Fighting Game Genre.

On one hand, this might cause problems on getting into the story of the game, but on the other hand if done well, it could encourage the player to learn more about the mechanics of the game to keep characters he/she has spent time getting to know alive to see the end of the story.

Obviously, this is a rough Idea since I'm not a game designer. But if someone could come up with a video game like that, I think I might die happy.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:37 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Since I'm not a game designer I figure I'll just post this idea here and see if anyone thinks it's a good idea. I think it could use some tweaking, but I think the concept is sound.

SF Alpha 3 kinda did this with the World Tour mode, but it assumed you were at least novice level with everyone as a starting point. Something like that could potentially work though, especially if it was tied to unlocking new characters in the normal mode. Maybe even a branching 'license' system where experience with archetypal characters would unlock more characters that use similar mechanics?

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”