If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Bardiel
Bardiel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 798
Joined: Aug 01, 2016
Location: Preparing for the Fall of Tokyo–3
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:10 pm

Mack wrote:Honestly they give me more of a cop buddies vibe than anything else, like Asuka is Riggs and Mari is Glover.

It's Riggs (Mel Gibson) and Murtaugh (Danny Glover), but I see your point, they could be the female reboot of Lethal Weapon. I'd love to hear Mari say "I'm getting too old for this shit!"
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Mack
Embryo
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 8
Joined: Dec 23, 2016
Location: Ohio, USA
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mack » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:53 pm

Maybe I should've said it the other way around? Like Asuka is Murtaugh and Mari is Riggs since Mari is sorta the wild card of the two.

DarkBluePhoenix
Bardiel
Bardiel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 798
Joined: Aug 01, 2016
Location: Preparing for the Fall of Tokyo–3
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:01 pm

Mack wrote:Maybe I should've said it the other way around? Like Asuka is Murtaugh and Mari is Riggs since Mari is sorta the wild card of the two.

Well, either way would work, as they are both crazy in their own way, or Asuka is Riggs, but Mari is actually Rambo, who is way crazier and even more unpredictable... I can't see Asuka as Murtaugh though, she's just not responsible enough to be "the adult" ... that role would be Captain "angry face" Misato.

That should be a thread. Which 80s action heroes these guys could be... that would be fun.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Joseki
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 543
Joined: Dec 27, 2016
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Joseki » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:06 pm

What would be the point of this couple? Both in Ha and Q Asuka has been a secondary character heavily hinted as has a romance option for Shinji. We never had any hit of her (or Mari) being bi or lesbian. Mari herself seems to be aware of Asuka's feelings for Shinji and she tried to get them closer.
After the events of Q it wouldn't even be a shock for Shinji since he expects to not be loved by anyone, so I can't really see what would be the purpose of them being together.
Last edited by Joseki on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

Geometer
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Dec 22, 2016

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Geometer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:35 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:What would the point of this couple?

To get that sweet, sweet merchandise yen from Otakus of course

Joseki
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 543
Joined: Dec 27, 2016
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Joseki » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:22 pm

I presume someone would by lesbian stuff (but I think some straight stuff with Rei and Shinji would sell more, or even Kaworu and Shinji would) but I was obviously referring to reasons related to the movies.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

Geometer
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 69
Joined: Dec 22, 2016

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Geometer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:56 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I presume someone would by lesbian stuff (but I think some straight stuff with Rei and Shinji would sell more, or even Kaworu and Shinji would) but I was obviously referring to reasons related to the movies.

Don't take my comment to seriously, but I agree I don't see how a romance between these too characters would add anything. Maybe to hammer the nail in the coffin of shinjixasuka shippers?

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:What would the point of this couple?


People who look beyond Shinji's story think it's actually a pretty good fit for a variety of reasons, and Suimame makes it look cute as hell. No one's obliged to buy into it, of course, and no one's ever suggested it was canon. It's just like any other ship.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2848
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:12 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:What would the point of this couple?


DIVERSITY.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Joseki
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 543
Joined: Dec 27, 2016
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Joseki » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:39 am

Diversity for the sake of having diversity is useless and in this case it would be just forced being introduced in the fourth movie with no previous hint of it.
Asuka had just one scene that wasn't related to Shinji in two movies and it's the one with the doll which explains to the viewer her character. All the other scenes are about Shinji: she's jealous of Rei and Shinji, she needs one her side one night, she screams for Shinji's help, she's conflicted when she see him and so on.
The only time we saw Mari and Asuka having a "casual" chat Mari was teasing her about some kind of hidden romantic feeling she has for Shinji.
If you want some diversity Ritsuko and Misato make way more sense because neither of this characters is so dependent on Shinji.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:03 am

Look dude, it's been 15 years... that's longer than Asuka had even been alive prior to meeting Shinji in the first place. She had a bit of crush, sure, but then he refused to fight when she was trapped in an angel eva but broke the damn world when it happened to Rei, so she has to be able to see the writing on that wall. It is wildly unreasonable to think she hasn't moved on a LONG time ago.

That said, there is precisely one person in Wille that shares her 'curse of eva' business (which has to make relationships a bit uncomfortable for most potential partners) and they happen to work together all the time, so if the two of them aren't completely straight it isn't unreasonable at all to think they might hook up eventually. Plus it's just cute. ^_^
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

jcmoorehead
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 636
Joined: Dec 30, 2005
Location: Edinburgh
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:27 am

I think it's likely when Shinji does return Asuka's feelings for him will return somewhat but I don't think its unreasonable to assume that Mari/Asuka might have had a bit of a thing in that time.

I kinda ran with that theory in my fic, that over the course of the year Asuka/Mari had not a full relationship but were there for one another because, as NemZ points out, they both share the curse of Eva stuff and are the most likely of all people there to understand one another.

Joseki
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 543
Joined: Dec 27, 2016
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Joseki » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:48 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Look dude, it's been 15 years... that's longer than Asuka had even been alive prior to meeting Shinji in the first place. She had a bit of crush, sure, but then he refused to fight when she was trapped in an angel eva but broke the damn world when it happened to Rei, so she has to be able to see the writing on that wall. It is wildly unreasonable to think she hasn't moved on a LONG time ago.

That said, there is precisely one person in Wille that shares her 'curse of eva' business (which has to make relationships a bit uncomfortable for most potential partners) and they happen to work together all the time, so if the two of them aren't completely straight it isn't unreasonable at all to think they might hook up eventually. Plus it's just cute. ^_^


Didn't Shinji refuse to fight Asuka in Eva-03 to protect her in the first place? He said something like "I want harm her even if I have to die" if I remember correctly.

Narratives don't work on the "what would make more sense" logic. If it was the case Misato would have detonated Shinji's head with no hesitation at the start of Q and then they'll have lived happily ever after. That's what any real people with her position would have done, but she didn't and it doesn't make any logical sense if you think that she had 14 years to take decisions much more difficult than that and she probably assigned very good men and women to suicidal missions (that's what happens in those kind of scenarios). She didn't because it makes sense for Shinji's character and his future path to redemption/salvation. Shinji is the plot, Shinji's what actually matters for the plot. I don't think that in NGE or Rebuilds there's a single character that has interpersonal relationships that could be defined as "normal".

Same story for Asuka: of course she lived before meeting Shinji and she also lived after Ha, but does it really matter for the plot? I don't think it really does. we don't have a single word or video frame about it except for a "I'm exactly as you remember me 14 years ago but conflicted about you" which was of course something Anno came up for Shinji. Even during Ha she changes because she meet Shinji.
In a story a character feels how the author choose it to feels, what happens before the story it's mostly useless unless it is shown somehow or referred to.

I'm not even bringing up the good amount of visual storytelling that it's in Q, the cuts to Asuka's amazed face to Eva-01 eye, the close up of the hand scene at the end, even the song about love that start with them in the desert.

On the "it's cute" I kinda agree tho, they have a character design that mix in a really good way.

Also would make sense for Asuka to have a story with Mari in the 14 years time skip in a real case scenario? I honestly don't know, we can presume she was at least straight, does she likes women too? It's safe to say no based on statistics. Can she turns gay because of lack of any other options? I really have no idea.

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:I think it's likely when Shinji does return Asuka's feelings for him will return somewhat but I don't think its unreasonable to assume that Mari/Asuka might have had a bit of a thing in that time.

I kinda ran with that theory in my fic, that over the course of the year Asuka/Mari had not a full relationship but were there for one another because, as NemZ points out, they both share the curse of Eva stuff and are the most likely of all people there to understand one another.


She's the one that probably understands Asuka the most and she's the one hinting at Asuka having romantic feelings for Shinji in Q.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

Lennik
Tunniel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 180
Joined: Apr 18, 2013
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Lennik » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Narratives don't work on the "what would make more sense" logic. If it was the case Misato would have detonated Shinji's head with no hesitation at the start of Q and then they'll have lived happily ever after. That's what any real people with her position would have done, but she didn't and it doesn't make any logical sense if you think that she had 14 years to take decisions much more difficult than that and she probably assigned very good men and women to suicidal missions (that's what happens in those kind of scenarios).


Let's not confuse "not making sense" with "not being ruthlessly pragmatic." It's completely in-character for Misato to hesitate to blow up the skull of someone she thinks of as family. "Pretend you don't love your adopted son and make his head explode." "No." Makes sense to me.

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:54 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Narratives don't work on the "what would make more sense" logic.


I don't think anyone's denied that, and that's not why people tend to favor the pairing. It just works. We know Shinji probably won't be hooking up with anyone in Final, and we also know that Mari and Asuka are really good together (as Suimame has shown us). That means this is the sort of thing that can work quite easily in the background even though it has no bearing whatsoever on the main story -- we can follow the ship and follow the canon story in tandem, and that's pretty darn rare. The fact we get a de facto happy ending for two cute girls is just icing on the cake!

Really, don't worry about it. No one's saying it's official, or should be, or anything like that. We're just having fun with the idea, that's all.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2848
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:19 am

You're all wrong.


Asuka's getting pounded on the regular by Special Agent for WILLE, Kensuke AIDS, himself a victim of the Curse of Eva, having been submerged in unit 01 during 1.0.

yourheadasplode.gif
asexpectedofthemaster.jpg
justasplanned.png

I also love what autocorrect just did to a portion of this post. I'm leaving it in.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 34
Posts: 8295
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:56 am

I don't understand why this canonical pairing is being discussed as a hypothetical.

Joseki
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 543
Joined: Dec 27, 2016
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Joseki » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:34 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:You're all wrong.


Asuka's getting pounded on the regular by Special Agent for WILLE, Kensuke AIDS, himself a victim of the Curse of Eva, having been submerged in unit 01 during 1.0.

yourheadasplode.gif
asexpectedofthemaster.jpg
justasplanned.png

I also love what autocorrect just did to a portion of this post. I'm leaving it in.


Sorry but Kensuke is more into Shinji's mom, he likes older women (possibly 80 meters tall).

Chuckman wrote:I don't understand why this canonical pairing is being discussed as a hypothetical.


Misato x PenPen is the only canon in rebuilds, that lucky penguin saw her boobs.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Posts: 2848
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:37 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Sorry but Kensuke is more into Shinji's mom, he likes older women (possibly 80 meters tall).


Well, he has been inside of her, and was covered in her fluids no less. Well played, sir.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Squigsquasher
Banned
Age: 21
Posts: 3673
Joined: Feb 09, 2013
Location: The bonus 10th level of hell
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:04 am

I do like a bit of AsuMari. Mainly because it writes off AsuShin and allows ReiShin to take its rightful spot as OTP. :devil:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.


Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests