If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

ZQFMGB
Adam
Posts: 66
Joined: May 31, 2018
Location: On a giant blue ball !
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ZQFMGB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:19 am

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it, but I wouldn't really see the point. In fact, I don't think the movie should have any romantic subplot, except maybe Misato and Kaji, if he's still alive, because there's a plot to finish, so we don't really have time for romances !
BTW, I didn't read the whole thread, but I'm happily surprised by the lack of any homophobic reactions and shippers holy wars so far.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 7957
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:28 pm

View Original Postmanuel ikari wrote:In the 2.22 CRC production book, they make it clear that Mari was initially created for commercial purposes.

I like how the character made mostly for marketing and merchandising is even telling the author/audience surrogate to get a grip on reality at the end of Eva Q. Anno just can’t let even a fun and marketable character like Mari remain perpetually positive. He’s gotta complicate things.

manuel ikari
Embryo
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 11, 2018

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby manuel ikari » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:51 pm

Mari simply is not set up for that and doesn't have the thematic role to complement Asuka. In the 2.22 CRC production book, they make it clear that Mari was initially created for commercial purposes. Not only that, one writer wanted her to kiss Shinji and everything. Not to mention this nonsense with it being "healthy'. If Eva cared about healthy it would have the pilots getting mental treatment.

Like most shippers, the author ignores that Mari isn't the only person in Asuka's life. Misato has much more influence on Asuka and criticises her way more. It's even trying to fit them into bullshit yaoi archetypes. Mari is clearly unable to help Asuka with many of her issues, and Asuka still shuts herself off in so many ways. Not only that, she actually requests Shinji to go help Asuka, because she can clearly see they still have unresolved (though not necessarily romantic) feelings for one another. But by this logic, this means they're paired... so I guess Misato is paired with Shinji too because she encourages him to get closer to Rei and Asuka.

manuel ikari
Embryo
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 11, 2018

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby manuel ikari » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:52 pm

The only meaningful cooperation we see them having is in combat, and while that demonstrates growth in their characters, it doesn't mean they're being paired. In fact, Mari is barely competent in supporting Asuka. It's also ignoring some things like how Mari wasn't the only one to warn Shinji in 2.0.

It's even making the argument that the existence of merch and official art proves anything. Come on. As if Khara didn't know that sexy yuri would sell. Just look at all the ReiXKaworu official art out there and tell me it means it's canon.

manuel ikari
Embryo
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 11, 2018

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby manuel ikari » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Shikinami comes from Sōryū, therefore it can not be bisexual.
Asuka still feels something for Shinji.
At the end of 3.0 she is the one looking for him.
She does not look for her 14-year-old partner, because her only relationship is combat.

manuel ikari
Embryo
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 11, 2018

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby manuel ikari » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:25 am

I'd recommend you look at some of the declarations already made by the Khara staff regarding Mari and her (non) role. Initially she was supposed to even kiss Shinji. Now we already have concept art for 3.0+1.0 with her quarters with Asuka being split into two because Asuka simply doesn't want to share anything with her and refuses to spend time with her. Even though Mari cares about Asuka, Asuka refuses any attention and it's clear to Mari that Asuka has some sort of unresolved feeling toward Shinji, hence why she steers both of them to resolve that.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 2001
Joined: Dec 04, 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male

If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rei IV » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:35 am

They'd make an awesomely, canon lesbian couple. Sadly, this is real life. Still, that's what fan fiction and artwork are for.

:asuka_thumbsup: :marihearts:
"I am neither false nor fake, I am simply me." - Rei Ayanami, Episode 26, "Take care of yourself" (The Beast that Shouted "I" at the Heart of the World)

DarkBluePhoenix
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1790
Joined: Aug 01, 2016
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 am

^ See, that's the right attitude
Image
More of the cute couple  SPOILER: Show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

manuel ikari
Embryo
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 11, 2018

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby manuel ikari » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:34 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ See, that's the right attitude
Image
More of the cute couple  SPOILER: Show
Image
Image
Image
Image


Kaworu calls Gendo "The King", Mari calls Asuka "the Princess", Shinji is compared to the Knight (Prince) when playing Shojo with Fuyutsuki. Mari repeats to Shinji "save the princess", and in the end Asuka tells Shinji "do not you want to come and save me?" So it is very likely that Shinji will save Asuka (his princess) in 3.0 + 1.0 :)

(Shikinami proviene de Sōryū, por lo tanto, no puede ser bisexual.
Asuka todavía siente algo por Shinji.
Al final de 3.0 ella es la que lo busca.
Ella no busca a su pareja de 14 años, porque su única relación es el combate.)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 7957
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 am

@Manuel ikari, I like where you're coming from within terms of reading the characters from more of a studied and nearly academic way. I also doubt that Mari and Asuk are actually homo for each other in the Eva movies. However, one of the things you've missed here (and a thing that I think almost legitimizes all of these Asuka+Mari ships) is the fact that 14 years has passed since Eva Ha (2.22) and Eva Q (3.33). It is extremely probably (and very likely) that Asuka has known Mari for longer than she's known Shinji. Sure the narrative in Eva Ha doesn't really support anything in Asuka's romantic storyline other than being attracted to Shinji. But there's this huge gap in then narrative where the audience isn't given any personal insight on the progression of any of these characters. Shinji's the only detailed character in Eva Q that seems to be starting from exactly where Eva Ha left him off. Everyone else seems to have grown beyond where Eva Ha had concluded their stories. Misato is waging war against Nerv. Who would have guessed that from watching Eva Ha? Gendo is deactivating Seele. Who would have guessed that from watching Eva Ha? Fuyutsuki seems to be betraying Gendo by telling Shinji what happened to his mother. Who would have guessed that by watching Eva Ha? There's a slight chance that Mari and Asuka could be gay for each other. Who would have guessed that by watching Eva Ha? It seems just as likely as any of the other "twists" we got from Eva Q.

For what it's worth, I don't think Mari and Asuka are gay for each other either. Asuka still seems to have some hangups with Shinji, sure, but most of those seem to stem more from the fact that Shinji might have cause Near Third Impact than it does that Asuka's interest in Shinji didn't pan out how she would have liked it. One thing important of note here is that Asuka's feelings toward Shinji in Eva Q doesn't seem to come out of any broken romantic interest. Rei already kinda took the lead on that, and, after a day or so to process that, Asuka seemed more content to focus on the Evas than she did her pursuit of Shinji. (She offers to test pilot Unit 03 and says that she's able to smile again now that she has friends, all after Rei basically "takes" Shinji from her. This is a girl who's moved on from a romantic interest in a boy and is focused on other things in life.) So her anger at Shinji isn't really from an unrealized romantic potential in Shinji. Rather, she seems to be mad at Shinji for the same reason everyone else at Wille is mad at Shinji; he's the Impact Trigger and can't be left alone for a few days without causing some sort of cosmic devastation. I'm not saying that Asuka is totally over him by the end of Eva Ha, but that she has actively divorced Shinji's attention from one of her goals.

So, in that sense, Asuka had already mostly moved on from Shinji since half way through Eva Ha. She's been potentially "available" since half way through Eva Ha. (Not counting, you know, the Angel contamination and stuff.) Shinji hasn't really factored into Asuka's sexual goals since half way through Eva Ha. That gives plenty of opportunity for someone like Mari to come in and start something with Asuka in the 14 years since Eva Ha, assuming Asuka does indeed swing both ways. I don't think we have a whole lot of evidence to prove indefinitely that Asuka swings both ways (both Asuka and Mari only get about 5 minutes of screen time in Eva Q, and who really knows what going on inside Mari's head anyway?), but I wouldn't consider it outside of the realm of possibility either. If they do end up as lesbians in Shin Eva (Evangelion 3.0+1.0), that would be totally believable for me given the fact that these characters are essentially drastically different than they were 14 years ago in Eva's narrative. If not, then these movies were never about those two anyway, so who cares? Anno's a very accomplished storyteller, and would probably be able to convince me of anything at this point. If I can follow him earnestly into his weird and silly live-action Cutie Honey movie, then he can do anything and I'd probably love it. He can do whatever he wants with Asuka and Mari in Shin Eva and I totally be okay with it. He's literally set up a world with Shin Eva where anything is possible. I can't wait to see it, whatever it holds.

Edit: These gay af Mari+Asuka pics are adorable, though.

DarkBluePhoenix
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1790
Joined: Aug 01, 2016
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:26 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Edit: These gay af Mari+Asuka pics are adorable, though.


Well, there's no shortage of art of the two of them, though a lot of it isn't exactly appropriate to post here :lol: But there's enough that is.
SPOILER: Show
Image
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

manuel ikari
Embryo
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 11, 2018

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby manuel ikari » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:14 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:@Manuel ikari, I like where you're coming from within terms of reading the characters from more of a studied and nearly academic way. I also doubt that Mari and Asuk are actually homo for each other in the Eva movies. However, one of the things you've missed here (and a thing that I think almost legitimizes all of these Asuka+Mari ships) is the fact that 14 years has passed since Eva Ha (2.22) and Eva Q (3.33). It is extremely probably (and very likely) that Asuka has known Mari for longer than she's known Shinji. Sure the narrative in Eva Ha doesn't really support anything in Asuka's romantic storyline other than being attracted to Shinji. But there's this huge gap in then narrative where the audience isn't given any personal insight on the progression of any of these characters. Shinji's the only detailed character in Eva Q that seems to be starting from exactly where Eva Ha left him off. Everyone else seems to have grown beyond where Eva Ha had concluded their stories. Misato is waging war against Nerv. Who would have guessed that from watching Eva Ha? Gendo is deactivating Seele. Who would have guessed that from watching Eva Ha? Fuyutsuki seems to be betraying Gendo by telling Shinji what happened to his mother. Who would have guessed that by watching Eva Ha? There's a slight chance that Mari and Asuka could be gay for each other. Who would have guessed that by watching Eva Ha? It seems just as likely as any of the other "twists" we got from Eva Q.

For what it's worth, I don't think Mari and Asuka are gay for each other either. Asuka still seems to have some hangups with Shinji, sure, but most of those seem to stem more from the fact that Shinji might have cause Near Third Impact than it does that Asuka's interest in Shinji didn't pan out how she would have liked it. One thing important of note here is that Asuka's feelings toward Shinji in Eva Q doesn't seem to come out of any broken romantic interest. Rei already kinda took the lead on that, and, after a day or so to process that, Asuka seemed more content to focus on the Evas than she did her pursuit of Shinji. (She offers to test pilot Unit 03 and says that she's able to smile again now that she has friends, all after Rei basically "takes" Shinji from her. This is a girl who's moved on from a romantic interest in a boy and is focused on other things in life.) So her anger at Shinji isn't really from an unrealized romantic potential in Shinji. Rather, she seems to be mad at Shinji for the same reason everyone else at Wille is mad at Shinji; he's the Impact Trigger and can't be left alone for a few days without causing some sort of cosmic devastation. I'm not saying that Asuka is totally over him by the end of Eva Ha, but that she has actively divorced Shinji's attention from one of her goals.

So, in that sense, Asuka had already mostly moved on from Shinji since half way through Eva Ha. She's been potentially "available" since half way through Eva Ha. (Not counting, you know, the Angel contamination and stuff.) Shinji hasn't really factored into Asuka's sexual goals since half way through Eva Ha. That gives plenty of opportunity for someone like Mari to come in and start something with Asuka in the 14 years since Eva Ha, assuming Asuka does indeed swing both ways. I don't think we have a whole lot of evidence to prove indefinitely that Asuka swings both ways (both Asuka and Mari only get about 5 minutes of screen time in Eva Q, and who really knows what going on inside Mari's head anyway?), but I wouldn't consider it outside of the realm of possibility either. If they do end up as lesbians in Shin Eva (Evangelion 3.0+1.0), that would be totally believable for me given the fact that these characters are essentially drastically different than they were 14 years ago in Eva's narrative. If not, then these movies were never about those two anyway, so who cares? Anno's a very accomplished storyteller, and would probably be able to convince me of anything at this point. If I can follow him earnestly into his weird and silly live-action Cutie Honey movie, then he can do anything and I'd probably love it. He can do whatever he wants with Asuka and Mari in Shin Eva and I totally be okay with it. He's literally set up a world with Shin Eva where anything is possible. I can't wait to see it, whatever it holds.

Edit: These gay af Mari+Asuka pics are adorable, though.


(please do not change to Asuka
in something that is not
shikinami comes from Sōryū)

Dude, changes in these characters, specially in a work centered around a message like Eva, happen for a reason. These reasons are foreshadowed and all have a thematic purpose. None of the changes we've seen so far support any reason whatsoever for Asuka being paired with Mari.

Now we already have concept art for 3.0+1.0 with her quarters with Asuka being split into two because Asuka simply doesn't want to share anything with her and refuses to spend time with her. Even though Mari cares about Asuka, Asuka refuses any attention and it's clear to Mari that Asuka has some sort of unresolved feeling toward Shinji, hence why she steers both of them to resolve that (As if Khara didn't know that sexy yuri would sell)

Not to mention this nonsense with it being "healthy'. If Eva cared about healthy it would have the pilots getting mental treatment


MARI ASKS Shinji TO SAVE Asuka.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 7957
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Honestly the real issue with pinning Mari as gay for Asuka is that Mari seems to be rather equal-opportunity with her behavior, and her behavior was never really all that sexual. She has positive responses towards people, sure, but they all seem to be towards Eva pilots, or to people with connections to Eva units. And her positive responses are weird to say the least. (Sniffing LCL off of Shinji's body, for example.) But it was always clear that she didn't show sexual interest in anybody, really. The only thing she wanted to get inside of was an Evangelion unit. (Which is only gay if Mari is also an Evangelion unit, which is definitely still a silly, nonsense little pet theory of mine.)

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 2001
Joined: Dec 04, 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rei IV » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:15 am

In the theatrical movies, Asuka x Maria makes a lot more sense than any other shipping aside from Misato x Kaji, and they're not even romantically involved. That's how awful pairings are in Evangelion (at least for the movies).

:devil:
"I am neither false nor fake, I am simply me." - Rei Ayanami, Episode 26, "Take care of yourself" (The Beast that Shouted "I" at the Heart of the World)

manuel ikari
Embryo
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 11, 2018

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby manuel ikari » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:38 pm

View Original PostRei IV wrote:In the theatrical movies, Asuka x Maria makes a lot more sense than any other shipping aside from Misato x Kaji, and they're not even romantically involved. That's how awful pairings are in Evangelion (at least for the movies).

:devil:


"Get informed before talking"

Now we already have concept art for 3.0+1.0 with her quarters with Asuka being split into two because Asuka simply doesn't want to share anything with her and refuses to spend time with her. Even though Mari cares about Asuka, Asuka refuses any attention and it's clear to Mari that Asuka has some sort of unresolved feeling toward Shinji, hence why she steers both of them to resolve that (As if Khara didn't know that sexy yuri would sell)
The story in 3.0 focuses on other issues, but Hideaki manages to insert some scenes, even if they are short but understandable, where they show that Asuka has never stopped thinking about Shinji. For example, watch out for Asuka's gaze after Shinji saves her in space. Or do you hear what Mari says: "Did you go to see it?". Always Mari pushes Shinji to save her, after the same Asuka tells Shinji "why did not you come to save me"? Moreover, Asuka is called the princess, while Kaworu calls Gendo "the king of lilin", making Shinji a prince. This role for Shinji is also marked by the appearance of Oscar Wilde's book "the happy prince". It may be that in 3.0 + 1.0 this story will be resumed. Do not forget that in the series we have discovered the story of Asuka and her true feelings for Shinji only in ep 22. Their relationship is pushed to the end only in EoE.

I honestly don't see anything from Mari that shows remote romantic interest in any other character.
For fan art the ship is fun... but yeah I can't see it ever happening.

I wonder if these people realize just how regressive this "they're lesbians because there's no men around" logic is. Jesus.

kodiakz
Embryo
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 18, 2018

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby kodiakz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:00 am

View Original Postmanuel ikari wrote:"Get informed before talking"

[b]Now we already have concept art for 3.0+1.0 with her quarters with Asuka being split into two because Asuka simply doesn't want to share anything with her and refuses to spend time with her. [/b]Even though Mari cares about Asuka, Asuka refuses any attention and it's clear to Mari that Asuka has some sort of unresolved feeling toward Shinji, hence why she steers both of them to resolve that (As if Khara didn't know that sexy yuri would sell)
The story in 3.0 focuses on other issues, but Hideaki manages to insert some scenes, even if they are short but understandable, where they show that Asuka has never stopped thinking about Shinji. For example, watch out for Asuka's gaze after Shinji saves her in space. Or do you hear what Mari says: "Did you go to see it?". Always Mari pushes Shinji to save her, after the same Asuka tells Shinji "why did not you come to save me"? Moreover, Asuka is called the princess, while Kaworu calls Gendo "the king of lilin", making Shinji a prince. This role for Shinji is also marked by the appearance of Oscar Wilde's book "the happy prince". It may be that in 3.0 + 1.0 this story will be resumed. Do not forget that in the series we have discovered the story of Asuka and her true feelings for Shinji only in ep 22. Their relationship is pushed to the end only in EoE.

I honestly don't see anything from Mari that shows remote romantic interest in any other character.
For fan art the ship is fun... but yeah I can't see it ever happening.

I wonder if these people realize just how regressive this "they're lesbians because there's no men around" logic is. Jesus.


I mean, logically speaking, it's more likely some sort of bond formed between Asuka and mari in the last 14 years then having Asuka literally waiting around all that time for Shinji. Take in to consideration Asuka and Shinji only knew each other briefly, for like a month. I'm not saying Asuka and mari are scissoring or anything like that, but from a story perspective it would make way more sense. Plus they're trapped in hormonal teenaged bodies. Story wise I hope to god they don't throw Asuka and Shinji together, it would be comically bad.

Also where is the proof Asuka doesn't want anything to do with her? From 3.0 it seemed they had a "buddy cop" relationship, that's quite contrary to what you're trying to push. I also wouldn't mind seeing the supposed concept art.

Blockio
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 548
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
Location: the Country of NERV's third branch
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:14 pm

View Original Postmanuel ikari wrote:The only meaningful cooperation we see them having is in combat, and while that demonstrates growth in their characters, it doesn't mean they're being paired. In fact, Mari is barely competent in supporting Asuka. It's also ignoring some things like how Mari wasn't the only one to warn Shinji in 2.0.

It's even making the argument that the existence of merch and official art proves anything. Come on. As if Khara didn't know that sexy yuri would sell. Just look at all the ReiXKaworu official art out there and tell me it means it's canon.

*Breathe in* I have to object to every single point raised here. I am a soldier myself, and have spent many hous on educating myself on war and psychology, and I can with confidence say that being comrades in a war creates a far deeper emotional connection than anything else. If you want to know exactly how, I will gladly explain i in a followup post.
Second point: How in the everloving hell is Mari "barely competent" in supporting Asuka? She is a crack sniper, far being able to land point-on hits at ranges that appear to be miles on a moving target (space sequence) and knows Asuka well enough to know her exact movements movements beforehand("Support fire was two seconds late!"/"And you're three seconds ahead of position.") AND predict the actions of the Mark.04a. The raid on the Wunder also displays her insane handgun skill: The fact that she hit Mark.09's head three times while charging at it, and got as close to hitting Mark.09 as she got while still running and her target was flying past her is far superior to anything any human could do with a real gun. Also, in-Universe comparison: Shinji missed the first shot on a stationary target in the best firing position with a dedicated high-precision weapon. Mari's sniping skills are far out of anyone's league, and literally every shot she fires, apart from those on the fast-moving Mark.09 , were perfect hits. The ammunition not causing any damage because of the target having unheard of properties (Eva 13) or immediately regenerating (Mark.09) should be clearly distinguished from the firing accuracy.
Third point: Your point here proves about as much as the merch you mentioned. From your other posts, it appears that you are inclined towards A/S. Now, tell me, is A/S categorically impossible because there is merch of it? Of course not! The entire paragraph you wrote about merch is completely pointless.

manuel ikari wrote:Like most shippers, the author ignores that Mari isn't the only person in Asuka's life.

Q went out of it's way quite a bit to suggest that this is not the case at all. Asuka is taking orders from Misato, and beyond that has next to no shown connection to anyone who is not a pilot. And the only other Eva pilot at Wille we see in the movie (which is the only source that has any significance here, "but Wille certainly has other pilots" would not only take away from some of the narrative aspects, but also is completely nonsensical, as no sane operation command would hold back on their forces in an operation as crucial as the last battle in Q) is Mari. If she didn't get demoted during the 14 years, Asuka still has the rank of Captain, aka an officer. So no, she definitely has no contact to enemy pilots, ruling out Rei(s) and Kaworu. On a side note, calling Ray of all people a Asu/Mari shipper is not only besides the point and unprofessional, but also spectacularily wrong.

manuel ikari wrote:Mari is clearly unable to help Asuka with many of her issues, and Asuka still shuts herself off in so many ways. Not only that, she actually requests Shinji to go help Asuka, because she can clearly see they still have unresolved (though not necessarily romantic) feelings for one another. But by this logic, this means they're paired... so I guess Misato is paired with Shinji too because she encourages him to get closer to Rei and Asuka.

Big words, I must say. I don't mean to insult you, but have you ever actually observed any interpersonal behavior? According to you, being in a relationship means ignoring anyone else. Buddy, this is not how it works. I know quite a number of romantic couples who have understood and acted upon the concept of helping the other with unresolved issues with a third party person. As for the last point, you fail to draw the line between Ha and Q - Misato explicitly disencourages Shinji from getting closer to Rei in Q.

manuel ikari wrote:Shikinami comes from Sōryū, therefore it can not be bisexual.

Excuse me, what the actual **** are you on? How does that have anything to do with anything else? That's like saying "You chose Ikari as the last name of your nickname here, therefore you must have ptsd and parental issues. You have completely stripped yourself of any believability with this one sentence.

manuel ikari wrote:I'd recommend you look at some of the declarations already made by the Khara staff regarding Mari and her (non) role.

Ah, back to the old "Mari was not in the series, therefore anything she does is completely irrelevant and she is nothing but irrelevant fanservice anyway" or what? Rebuild is a seperate canon. Paralells are coincidence. Explicitly stated by the very Khara staff you just referenced.

manuel ikari wrote: it's clear to Mari that Asuka has some sort of unresolved feeling toward Shinji, hence why she steers both of them to resolve that.
Sounds like something a loving partner would do, doesn't it?

TL;DR: The points you raise are baseless and illogical to either real-life reason or established canon at best, and contradicting themselves at worst. Also, there is an edit button... no need to spam multiple messages, it just takes up space and makes quoting unnecessarily complicated.
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu

manuel ikari
Embryo
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 11, 2018

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby manuel ikari » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:52 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:*Breathe in* I have to object to every single point raised here. I am a soldier myself, and have spent many hous on educating myself on war and psychology, and I can with confidence say that being comrades in a war creates a far deeper emotional connection than anything else. If you want to know exactly how, I will gladly explain i in a followup post.
Second point: How in the everloving hell is Mari "barely competent" in supporting Asuka? She is a crack sniper, far being able to land point-on hits at ranges that appear to be miles on a moving target (space sequence) and knows Asuka well enough to know her exact movements movements beforehand("Support fire was two seconds late!"/"And you're three seconds ahead of position.") AND predict the actions of the Mark.04a. The raid on the Wunder also displays her insane handgun skill: The fact that she hit Mark.09's head three times while charging at it, and got as close to hitting Mark.09 as she got while still running and her target was flying past her is far superior to anything any human could do with a real gun. Also, in-Universe comparison: Shinji missed the first shot on a stationary target in the best firing position with a dedicated high-precision weapon. Mari's sniping skills are far out of anyone's league, and literally every shot she fires, apart from those on the fast-moving Mark.09 , were perfect hits. The ammunition not causing any damage because of the target having unheard of properties (Eva 13) or immediately regenerating (Mark.09) should be clearly distinguished from the firing accuracy.
Third point: Your point here proves about as much as the merch you mentioned. From your other posts, it appears that you are inclined towards A/S. Now, tell me, is A/S categorically impossible because there is merch of it? Of course not! The entire paragraph you wrote about merch is completely pointless.


Q went out of it's way quite a bit to suggest that this is not the case at all. Asuka is taking orders from Misato, and beyond that has next to no shown connection to anyone who is not a pilot. And the only other Eva pilot at Wille we see in the movie (which is the only source that has any significance here, "but Wille certainly has other pilots" would not only take away from some of the narrative aspects, but also is completely nonsensical, as no sane operation command would hold back on their forces in an operation as crucial as the last battle in Q) is Mari. If she didn't get demoted during the 14 years, Asuka still has the rank of Captain, aka an officer. So no, she definitely has no contact to enemy pilots, ruling out Rei(s) and Kaworu. On a side note, calling Ray of all people a Asu/Mari shipper is not only besides the point and unprofessional, but also spectacularily wrong.


Big words, I must say. I don't mean to insult you, but have you ever actually observed any interpersonal behavior? According to you, being in a relationship means ignoring anyone else. Buddy, this is not how it works. I know quite a number of romantic couples who have understood and acted upon the concept of helping the other with unresolved issues with a third party person. As for the last point, you fail to draw the line between Ha and Q - Misato explicitly disencourages Shinji from getting closer to Rei in Q.


Excuse me, what the actual **** are you on? How does that have anything to do with anything else? That's like saying "You chose Ikari as the last name of your nickname here, therefore you must have ptsd and parental issues. You have completely stripped yourself of any believability with this one sentence.


Ah, back to the old "Mari was not in the series, therefore anything she does is completely irrelevant and she is nothing but irrelevant fanservice anyway" or what? Rebuild is a seperate canon. Paralells are coincidence. Explicitly stated by the very Khara staff you just referenced.

Sounds like something a loving partner would do, doesn't it?

TL;DR: The points you raise are baseless and illogical to either real-life reason or established canon at best, and contradicting themselves at worst. Also, there is an edit button... no need to spam multiple messages, it just takes up space and makes quoting unnecessarily complicated.


Answer me a question
for you the end of 3.0 does not mean anything
Asuka desperately looks for Shinji, she does not decide to look for mari (because she does not care)

if you do not believe me then believe in the words of Asuka

"because you did not save me"

The story in 3.0 focuses on other issues, but Hideaki manages to insert some scenes, even if they are short but understandable, where they show that Asuka has never stopped thinking about Shinji. For example, watch out for Asuka's gaze after Shinji saves her in space. Or do you hear what Mari says: "Did you go to see it?". Always Mari pushes Shinji to save her, after the same Asuka tells Shinji "why did not you come to save me"? Moreover, Asuka is called the princess, while Kaworu calls Gendo "the king of lilin", making Shinji a prince. This role for Shinji is also marked by the appearance of OscarWilde's book "the happy prince".

Kaworu represents hope, and citing the fairy tale of Oscar Wilde he represents the swallow that strips the prince from his sins. But Shinji does not deserve a lenient person, rather he deserves a person who makes his spine grow, like Asuka.

Image
Image
Image

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 72
Posts: 10034
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:07 am

For me the strongest indication in Q that Asuka thinks about Shinji at all is the fact that in the opening sequence she spontaneously calls for his help, even though we see shortly after that the others don't really even expect him to emerge from Unit-01 are are surprised that he did. After fourteen years, that does seem to indicate something. As for the ending, the reason she goes back for him is not made clear, is maybe deliberately ambiguous - but it is at least as easily explained by the fact that she realises that leaving the "impact trigger" lying around for Nerv to possibly pick up again would be a bad idea™.

Her expressed frustration with him, both in confinement and in the battle, certainly indicates a degree of past friendship; but is not necessarily indicative of romantic or sexual feelings, past or present.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "Suki da, Yano" - Bokura ga ita ep.21 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Blockio
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 548
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
Location: the Country of NERV's third branch
Gender: Male

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:25 am

View Original Postmanuel ikari wrote:Answer me a question
for you the end of 3.0 does not mean anything
Asuka desperately looks for Shinji, she does not decide to look for mari (because she does not care)

So, according to you, someone can only care about one single person at a time and has no emotional connection to anybody else? With all due respect, thats a bunch of bullsh*t. If I was in a relationship with someone, I would still care about close friends I haven't heard of in a decade, especially if they are in danger (like literally anyone is in Q, constantly). Your entire argumentation boils down to "Asuka cares about Shinji, therefore she cannot care about Mari. I ask you once again, and once again not meaning to insult you, but have you ever actually observed social interactions between real people? .

if you do not believe me then believe in the words of Asuka

"because you did not save me"

So, Asuka still is bitter about the 9th angel incident. Given what Shinji did to save Rei from the 10th, understandable. But you still have to bring up a single piece of actual evidence, why Asuka and Mari can't possibly have feelings for each other. Or why "Shikinami comes from Sōryū, therefore it can not be bisexual."
The story in 3.0 focuses on other issues, but Hideaki manages to insert some scenes, even if they are short but understandable, where they show that Asuka has never stopped thinking about Shinji. For example, watch out for Asuka's gaze after Shinji saves her in space. Or do you hear what Mari says: "Did you go to see it?". Always Mari pushes Shinji to save her, after the same Asuka tells Shinji "why did not you come to save me"?

Try this one on for size: Mari wants Shinji to save Asuka because she knows that she might not be able to one day?

Moreover, Asuka is called the princess, while Kaworu calls Gendo "the king of lilin", making Shinji a prince. This role for Shinji is also marked by the appearance of OscarWilde's book "the happy prince".

And what exactly does that book have to do with Eva? On top of your comparison being more than just a bit of a stretch, trying to force a character into an archetype based on two sentences.
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu


Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests