If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:46 pm

With the US legalizing gay marriage on the brain I figured it's as good a time as any to talk about this.

Disclaimer. I would have no problem with Rebuild or Eva if they made Asuka and Mari a Lesbian couple. But it seems some people on this forum might have differing opinions.

I'm not kidding. I saw one user on this forum who said that "If Mari and Asuka are Lesbians in Final, I'll kill myself."

Hyperbole? Perhaps, but it shows people have strong opinions about the subject. Shipping wars can get problematic at times!

People on this forum have theorized this might be the case, with the symbolism of the cat helmets, the fourteen year time skip and growth of Asuka while Shinji stayed young mentally kind've making ShinjixAsuka a pipe dream at this point.

Not to mention the piles, upon piles, gigabytes upon gigabytes of AsukaxMari doujin, fanart, and hentai that's been circulating the webs in the wake of 3.0. While it's died down from what it was, it's still out there.

So . . . opinions. Comment below, and remember if you don't have anything nice to say, don't bother saying anything at all!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:19 pm

I expect it will be left ambiguous and the focus will stays squarely on Impact Boy.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:39 pm

"If Mari and Asuka are Lesbians in Final, I'll kill myself."

If anno saw that, there would definitely be yuri action.
But not the kind otaku's can masturbate to.

Do you think this whole Yuri thing was done to spite Asuka fanboys?

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:53 pm

View Original PostIspellnogood wrote:Do you think this whole Yuri thing was done to spite Asuka fanboys?

Nah, Asuka fanboys can fap even to yuri. It's most likely to drive home a point that Shinji will not get the girl. If the hypotetic love interest doesn't die, then she will rather turn lesbian than cjoose Shinji. Apparently there was to many fanfic still pairing Shinji and Asuka even after EoE :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:24 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:If the hypothetic love interest doesn't die, then she will rather turn lesbian than choose Shinji.

While I don't agree with this (at least not entirely), but it would be a good way to reenforce that theme if an EOE-style apocalypse happens in Final.

Remember the "Angry Girlfriend" scene in EOE? Imagine that but with Asuka and Mari.

Asuka wrote:I'D RATHER DIE THAN DO IT WITH YOU!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:26 pm

Didn't Asuka also say "if i cant have you all for myself, i dont want you at all"

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:36 pm

That Asuka hadn't had fourteen years away from "The Brat" to rethink her romantic options.

Personally, I think her if her relationship with Mari is in any way physical. . . it's more out of necessity than anything else. Given she has a chunk of Angel in her eye, I don't think too many people would be interested in her.

If your romantic options are a) the kid you knew for a few months fourteen years ago who's idiocy and cowardice caused your disfigurement. b) Your crazy biisexual/lesbian co-pilot. and everyone else being too scared of your angel eye to even try getting to know you. It's obvious which option you'd go for if you were in her shoes.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:05 pm

View Original PostIspellnogood wrote: Do you think this whole Yuri thing was done to spite Asuka fanboys?

If it was, it backfired spectacularly. I ship Shiki/Mari way more than do I Shiki/Shinji. Well played? :lol:

But in all seriousness, I'm a total Sohryu/Shinji shipper, but I don't want to see her with him in Rebuild. Their relationship lacks almost all of the major beats that made it an interesting relationship in the first place. They never train together, pilot an Eva together, or anything like that. Heck, they only deploy on a single mission together as a team before everything goes butt-up. If she hooked up with him now I think it would feel both shallow and pointless. The chemistry is just missing to me, and I'm not going to fill that gap with nostalgia from NGE when it's supposed to be a self-supporting retelling.

I could see Asuka being attracted to someone like Mari, who is a competent pilot in her own right and isn't afraid to return fire when Asuka gets snippy. Asuka's attitude doesn't seem to bother her at all in 3.0. She just rolls with it, and it IS quite interesting that she both listens to Mari's advice and counts on her for support in the field, two things she was absolutely opposed to in 2.0.

So yeah, I think it's possible, and I do hope it's something bears fruit in future movie(s). Shinji loves both Rei and Kaworu, and I see no problem with Asuka having someone like that.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Honestly, I don't have a problem with it if Asuka is in a lesbian relationship with Mari if it's revealed in Final.

I at first was a little disappointed by that (as I thought it was for the yuri factor and that I'm a firm AxS shipper), but the more I look at it, I think Asuka and Mari are probably the more stable relationships in all of Rebuild, what with their comradery and banter towards each other shows that they're comfortable with each other and know how each other works, so yeah, I'm okay completely if they're confirmed as a couple.

As for Shinji and Asuka, while I would normally would want Shinji and Asuka to get together, I'm also completely okay if Shinji doesn't end up with anyone in the end.

That doesn't mean that I'm condemning relationships or romance in general, far from it. If Shinji does get a relationship, then that's GREAT. If he remains single for the rest of his life, then that's even okay as well, cause there are different forms of love in life.

Asuka and Mari would be a nice step for them showing the comradery of their relationship, and Shinji being on his own would be showing that it's okay to be single, as long as you learn to love yourself, and even then, that could be all the love he needs in order to be happy.

It's actually an interesting type of message when you think about it. We're all accustomed to the idea that we need to be in a relationship or have a significant other to be happy, but actually, you can be just as happy on your own if you learn to love yourself. Oh, you can have friends and family to help, but I'd be okay if Shinji learned to simply love himself and learned to be happy with that. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:32 pm

@Xander

Yeah. I'm more bummed than anything else that Shinji x Asuka likely isn't going to happen in Rebuild. Not even in the admittedly messed up way it happened in EOE. Unless Anno decides to go Full G.R.R. Martin on us with Final.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:38 pm

@Ray

I'm not saying that AxS in rebuild is impossible, it still could happen, but that I don't have a problem with it if it doesn't. Asuka and Shinji didn't develop as close as they did in the Original Series, so the relationship isn't as present.

We'll always have the Original series for them, as Jimmywolk, Bagheera, Gob Hobblin, and many other fic writers have proved. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Fanfic isn't Canon, and if it didn't happen in canon it's good fun, but it's not real, it's not Canon, and it's not going to be seen in the same light as the original work.

As for Asuka and Mari, I'm expecting something along the likes of this scene in MMR. Where it all but confirms the Yuri overtones between Kyoko and Sayaka. Or at the very least makes it far, FAR less ambiguous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmOg3-f9z0A

I hope whoever posted that 'I'll commit suicide if they're Lesbian" guy was posting in Jest.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:12 pm

I personally don't think they're gay. I remember saying on another thread that whatever evidence can be used to shyest a romantic relationship in Q could just as easily be signs of them simply being roommates.

That being said, if they were gay, I'd have no issue with it. (I find it interesting that this thread is about Asuka and Mari, and not Shinii and Kaworu. There's much more gay bait going on there.)

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Honestly, I have a problem with pairing Mari with anyone. But I have some grievances with Mari that many people on here insist aren't well-founded. Namely, that she's not much of a character.

Also, in the end, I think that a life without romantic love is somewhat empty, as to the idea that it's okay if Shinji never ends up with anybody. I think all types of life are worthwhile, but that people do generally desire that form of companionship with another person. Also, Shinji will probably live a relatively empty life after this anyway. Period.

Also, if it's meant to be instructing people that they don't have to find romantic love in life, the problem is that it will NEVER work that way in society. You get a large amount of single men, and chaos ends up emerging inevitably. So the idea that they simply need to and will accept it is frankly out of touch with and ignoring... reality.
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:56 pm

Perhaps I was being a bit over-zealous with my entry, I apologize, but I meant for the movie in general if Shinji doesn't end up with anybody in the end.

One of the biggest battles that Shinji has had to face in his life was not fighting in the Evas, but learning to love himself and learning to exist with the world around him. His greatest flaw is that of his crippling low self-esteem and hatred of himself. So unless he can learn to love himself, how can he express love to another.

You don't go into a relationship to get "fixed", you go mutually into a relationship in order to make yourself better when you're already "stable and good", and right now, Shinji's priority is learning to be happy with who he is and being a part of the world, and because of his personality, it may very well be a battle he may have to struggle with the rest of his days, which some people do.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't give up on romance, far from it, but it's not going to be helpful to his partner if he's self-deprecating himself for the majority of his time.

I was more saying that Shinji being single is just an example of the different types of love that we all need to embrace in order to be healthy adults. Romantic love is great when you find it, but how can you love another when you can't love yourself to begin with?

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ispellnogood » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:25 am

Oh god!

I just know that if there is any yuri action, Anno will be sure to have Shinji fapping to the sounds of it happening. :lol:

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:30 am

@xanderkh - The stance in Rebuild seems to be different enough from the show. The first thing that needs to happen with Shinji in 4.0 is that he regains the will to live, because right now he's dead weight on Asuka and Rei. Of course with Shinji learning to love himself that also needs to happen, but that would be doing what NGE and EOE did, and we don't know if Anno plans to go down that route in 4.0.

Now personally I am a Shinji/Asuka shipper just because in the EOE that's hinted at with the whole infamous beach scene. But in the case of Rebuild there is a different stance on that ship, and I believe that if Shinji were to end up with anyone that would be Rei. I mean Rei II, not Rei Q and this is because at this point in time Rei II is the only person Shinji would still have a close connection with in the Post N3I/4I world. Now of course Asuka and Misato are shown second guessing themselves, but there need to be a lot of repair in 4.0 for Shinji to have a stable relationship(not romantic) with either of them.

With MariXAsuka, this actually seems likely because of the implied 14 years they spent together. I am not against this in Rebuild, if it is confirmed or heavily hinted I won't mind either way.

With that being said, if for whatever reason it is a focus of 4.0 I am going to have a problem. This is because our main concern in 4.0 should be reaching a conclusion with Shinji, because he is left in a very bad state(to put it lightly) post 3.0.

If there was a scene in 4.0 were Shinji witnesses Mari and Asuka having sex, much like the EOE scene with Misato and Kaji I wouldn't like it.(Unless the build to this hypothetical scene is different from what is currently in my head). Of course it would be some of the best fan-service imaginable, but story-wise I wouldn't like.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:50 pm

Mari x Asuka???? HELL YESSS!!!!!! Besides Asuka, I like Mari too. While Asuka is the valkyrie, then Mari is a force of nature. Both are hot, both are crazy, both are smart and both would rip and tear guts from tons of angels and evas. And I say this even as a Shinji x Asuka-Shipper.

For Shinji as Asukas "brat" and Maris "puppy" I just hope that he won't be treated like shit by them and that he wont face more terrors, that are as cruel and brutal as anything he faced before.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:07 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:If there was a scene in 4.0 were Shinji witnesses Mari and Asuka having sex
One thing we can be sure of -- with anything short of this, there'll still be people saying they are just good friends, even if they get shown sharing a bed and adopting a child together.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:14 pm

Naw, we just need one to score with the other's knee, Maya and Ritsuko style.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”