Settings OTHER than Tokyo-3

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Settings OTHER than Tokyo-3

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:39 pm

While I do think tokyo-3 is a fine setting. Are there any fanfic writers who try to explore or showoff how the world outside of Japan looks?

Asuka is from Germany, but we never get to actually SEE how a post Impact Germany looks. References are made to both China and the US, but we never actually get to SEE how the US looks. Have formerly democratic societies become tyrannical in an attempt to secure humankind's survival? Do Canadians and Cubans object to being Annexed by the USA? How big and influential is Germany in Post Impact Europe?0

There is great potential to flesh out the world of Evangelion, but Anno never really did. In the original series OR the rebuilds. Keeping the series set in Tokyo-3 did keep everything focused and make the characters rich and complex to compensate. But can't we have both?

It's like creating the world of Middle Earth, writing a story set in Rivendell, making references to the world outside of Rivendell, but never showing the audience what these places look like. Instead, keeping us in Rivendell.

That's my challenge to myself in what I am writing, and to other fanfic writers. Flesh out the world of the Eva-verse beyond just Tokyo-3.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:45 pm

My current project (Crying Man) takes place 1999-2000, so Tokyo-3 doesn't even exist yet. The main settings are Kyoto and an as-yet-undisclosed site in Antarctica. It's proving quite educational.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Strictly speaking, all continuations after EoE simply can't be in tokyo 3 because it shouldn't exist anymore. But people use it anyway because they're silly buggers.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Fanfiction”