Michael Bay's Evangelion?

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Michael Bay's Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:58 am

It's a rumor going around apparently that he's interested. Yeah.

Still, that gave someone an excuse to create THIS.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:10 am

Wanna bet that after initial outrage of nostalgic anons and otakus this would become more liked than original? :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:12 am

The rumour has been thoroughly debunked already, of course.

[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16230/RUMOR-Michael-Bay-says-he-wants-to-direct-Live-Action-Eva/[/url]
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 am

He debunked it himself, which several of us (Monkey, myself, etc) were more than thankful about. This was even posted on the front/news page:

http://www.evageeks.org/2014/07/michael-bay-rumors-about-evangelion-are-false/
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:13 pm

A live action Evangelion will happen if Hollywood ever jumps on the heavy anime/giant robot bandwagon & has a genuine hit. Had PACIFIC RIM been a hit domestically back in 2013 we probably would be looking at an EVANGELION movie this summer or next. It made $101 stateside & it's only thanks to the business it did in China ($111 million) that we're even getting a sequel in 2017.

I loved Guillermo Del Toro's PACIFIC RIM cause I feel it's a super fun movie & it's the closest we'll ever need to come to a live action Evangelion. It shares all the superficial surface level details while still being it's own story that doesn't need to dive into the wonderful eccentricities that make Evangelion so special - eccentricities that no Hollywood movie would ever touch on (if they won't let Iron Man be a suffering alcoholic no way would they approach the darker material in NGE).

Anywho, the Animation Domination cartoon is hyperbolic but that's not far off from what a live action Hollywood Shinji would be. At best they'd turn him into a snarky little shit who'd always have a snippy one-liner ready to shoot off in any given conversation. Basically he'd become a Shia LaBeouf

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:03 pm

That video is just a flash cartoon variant on the "What if Shinji Had Balls" meme. It's still good, though.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Anywho, the Animation Domination cartoon is hyperbolic but that's not far off from what a live action Hollywood Shinji would be. At best they'd turn him into a snarky little shit who'd always have a snippy one-liner ready to shoot off in any given conversation. Basically he'd become a Shia LaBeouf

Hey now, we can have depressed characters who quip. What about Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:07 pm

One's a 50 year old man (Ruffalo is 47) who has grown up & had years to adjust & make do with who he is in life.
The other is presumably a 14 year old boy (which he won't be. They'd age him up to 19 at least, played by some dude in his mid 20s to early 30s).

Very little possible overlap.

Plus as good as Mark Ruffalo is the reason he works is because he's a supporting character who only has to carry a few scenes & not an entire movie. Oh & Avengers: Age of Ultron is not good.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:16 pm

If anything, Pacific Rim is more like Rebuild and less like NGE.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Michael Bay's Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:51 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Still, that gave someone an excuse to create THIS.

:stan_puke:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:40 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:Wanna bet that after initial outrage of nostalgic anons and otakus this would become more liked than original? :tongue:

Not more liked. But considering Bay sold his soul to the devil so that every movie he makes would be a multi-million dollar hit regardless of actual quality, it would retroactively ruin the reputation of the franchise. Just like Transformers.

Getting Bay to direct Eva is like getting Uwe Boll to direct the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Re: Michael Bay's Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:04 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote::stan_puke:

I rolled my eyes throughout, myself. Probably because I've seen that joke a million times already so it's old.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:37 am

I think I wouldn't have been enthused about this if it had been mean-spirited-- I've seen videos and comics in the past that did nothing but rip into the show for the sake of incessantly ragging on it. This video... well, I was laughing out loud in my seat. To me, this didn't feel like it was made with ill intent-- rather, it was made to be fun and silly. (And if I haven't been clear, I really enjoyed it!)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:26 am

Like SSD, I've seen this "joke" far too many times to find this iteration remotely amusing. (Not like the previous attempts fared any better...) I personally thought the video WAS mean-spirited in its way. Even if it's purportedly making fun of what Americans would do to Eva if they could, it does this without an ounce of wit or originality. Just inverting the original material in as gross and over-the-top manner as one can muster does not a good satire make. It just insults your audience.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:35 am

Someone sent it to me on facebook and it was eva-related so I passed it on.

Deal with it. :emogendo:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:25 pm

So did this actually air on television? For millions of Americans to see? Americans who watch Fox?

Because if Evangelion is mainstream enough to be referenced on Fox, the end times may truly be upon us.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:40 pm

The production had nothing to do with Fox-- it just happens to be the name of the creator's website, which is foxadhd.com. Here's the guy's youtube channel.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Disappointing—I was looking forward to Rush Limbaugh's show where he insinuates that Obama is the 17th Angel.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:57 pm

I think that youtube channel is only part of ADHD. It was originally a late night programming block on Fox. It was supposed to be their adultswim but ended up not being very popular. So it moved to FXX. Most of the shorts I've seen have sucked, so I never bothered watching the actual TV block. Couldn't tell you if that particular short was ever transmitted across the airwaves.

A much better youtube channel for animation would be Cartoon Hangover, if anyone's interested.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:00 am

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:24 pm

That's the guy who build robot statue, because "why the hell not" :lol:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Return to “Fan Works”