Remedies for Windows slowing down or suggestions for laptop

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Sun May 31, 2015 3:47 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Buy a mac.

Posted with OS X.

Never, ever, whatsoever.

I know the default answer to slow computers is backing up and then wiping the internal HDD, reinstalling the OS, and starting fresh. Is that something you wanna consider?

That's what I used to do on my built-from-scratch desktop computer and with my OEM copy of good ole Windows XP.
But as I started to work as a freelancer, I needed my own laptop, which I bought in 2013. It came with Windows 7 Professional and possibly a disc to upgrade to Windows 8, but not a full Windows 7 I could reinstall at will. But yes, I'd always go for fresh re-start and that's why I always had desktops with an "independent" OS disc and I tended to hate laptops because I didn't know how to mod them or substitute faulty parts. Plus they seem to come with hardware blocks and whatnot from the manufacturers.
I guess that now that I have bought myself some time on the current laptop, I might look into going agnostic from the viewpoint of the hardware manufacturer.

So the new question is...

1 - Is it possible to have a shop to put together a clean, virgin laptop on which install an OS of choice?

2 - (How easily) Could I achieve that same clean slate on my current machine, whiping off all the HP crap to then install a copy of Windows 7 which hopefully will not cost too much now that 10 is coming out?

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sun May 31, 2015 5:38 am

View Original PostFalcon_of_the_Sun wrote:Never, ever, whatsoever.

They now use Intel processors so you can install Windows on it and have a dual boot machine.

That said, my last experience with Apple support to get them to fix a botched factory install of Mac OS X was completely abyssimal (the techy insisted an OS was not software :facepalm: and I ended up having to pay 300 bucks to get my data off the drive - Thanks Apple) compared to my previous experience with Apple support (getting a PowerBook that was dead-on-arrival fixed) and most other support experiences I've had - so if you buy one, buy it from a physical shop, not online.

That's what I used to do on my built-from-scratch desktop computer and with my OEM copy of good ole Windows XP.
But as I started to work as a freelancer, I needed my own laptop, which I bought in 2013. It came with Windows 7 Professional and possibly a disc to upgrade to Windows 8, but not a full Windows 7 I could reinstall at will. But yes, I'd always go for fresh re-start and that's why I always had desktops with an "independent" OS disc and I tended to hate laptops because I didn't know how to mod them or substitute faulty parts. Plus they seem to come with hardware blocks and whatnot from the manufacturers.
I guess that now that I have bought myself some time on the current laptop, I might look into going agnostic from the viewpoint of the hardware manufacturer.

So the new question is...

1 - Is it possible to have a shop to put together a clean, virgin laptop on which install an OS of choice?

2 - (How easily) Could I achieve that same clean slate on my current machine, whiping off all the HP crap to then install a copy of Windows 7 which hopefully will not cost too much now that 10 is coming out?

Have you checked whether you can download Windows 7 at your laptop manufacturer's website? You'll probably need the product key...

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun May 31, 2015 5:58 am

View Original PostFalcon_of_the_Sun wrote:2 - (How easily) Could I achieve that same clean slate on my current machine, whiping off all the HP crap to then install a copy of Windows 7 which hopefully will not cost too much now that 10 is coming out?

I've no experience with HP; but on Dell machines you can simply go through and uninstall all the crap.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 31, 2015 6:31 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:That said, my last experience with Apple support to get them to fix a botched factory install of Mac OS X was completely abyssimal (the techy insisted an OS was not software :facepalm: and I ended up having to pay 300 bucks to get my data off the drive - Thanks Apple) compared to my previous experience with Apple support (getting a PowerBook that was dead-on-arrival fixed) and most other support experiences I've had - so if you buy one, buy it from a physical shop, not online.

That sucks. I bought mine from a physical store, so I didn’t have these issues, and what little hiccups the computer did have while running it for the first time tech support was actually really helpful in fixing for me.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sun May 31, 2015 8:58 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I've no experience with HP; but on Dell machines you can simply go through and uninstall all the crap.
HP is terrible with bloatware. There's like two or three dozen pieces of shitware that is difficult to uninstall.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 31, 2015 10:00 am

I've not found Toshiba too bad by way of shovelware; I've also observed that ponying up for the Pro edition of Windows cuts down the amount of it you get, regardless of supplier (HP, Dell or Toshiba) -- essentially you can pay for it to go away.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun May 31, 2015 11:25 am

A lot of those manufacturers give you an option without an OS, and thus you don't need to pay for the OS tax. Then just buy whatever version of windows you want and install that, it's pretty much a burn to DVD(s) or a BD and insert and press a few "OK"s, if you want a default install. In HP's case, they allow you to choose "SuSE" as an OS, which is free so you can just overwrite it.

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:55 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:They now use Intel processors so you can install Windows on it and have a dual boot machine.

That said, my last experience with Apple support to get them to fix a botched factory install of Mac OS X was completely abyssimal (the techy insisted an OS was not software :facepalm: and I ended up having to pay 300 bucks to get my data off the drive - Thanks Apple) compared to my previous experience with Apple support (getting a PowerBook that was dead-on-arrival fixed) and most other support experiences I've had - so if you buy one, buy it from a physical shop, not online.

Have you checked whether you can download Windows 7 at your laptop manufacturer's website? You'll probably need the product key...

Although I'm far from being a competent "mechanic" of the "car" we call personal computer, I know I'm an excellent "driver" of the Windows one. There's no way in hell I'd want to ever spend time figuring out a new user interface or OS. I'm sure that if you start from zero, Apple computers are more intuitive than most others. But I've invested far too much time into Windows (which I need to use for work anyway) to want to re-learn anything.
Plus I've never believed in the glamourisation of PCs Apple brought about. My PC is merely a means to an end, it's not a "lifestyle" thing. A sexy looking computer/OS is some kind of sweet poison anyway, there are better things to do in life than being in front of screen, although I'm obviously as guilty as anyone in the time I spent fuffing about on the net/PC.

The re-download of Windows 7 seems like an interesting possibility, just like those other suggestions.

Again, thanks to all.

UPDATE

OK, the rejuvinated laptop seemed to have died for good, probably courtesy of me hard-resetting it too much whenever if slowed down beyond salvation.

I have a back up machine that can serve me for a bit and I am seriously thinking of getting a laptop without OS and I bumped into these Novatech guys

http://www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/novatechnpron1612.html

419 GBP inc VAT with no OS
539 GBP inc VAT with Windows 7 Pro

I like their "no bloatware promise"

Thoughts of the EvaGeeks? Also, what type of licence their W7 will likely come with (I'd ask them directly but they are closed for the day)?

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”