Why comedy films suck, or how to write schadenfruede

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Why comedy films suck, or how to write schadenfruede

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri May 22, 2015 3:40 am

I've often voiced my disdain toward comedy films in general, but i've found it difficult to voice why.

It's because my hands are bananas.

Seriously, though, slapstick and schadenfreude only work if the victim deserves it somehow. Look at pre-movie Spongebob. Squidward and Plankton are total assholes. They're arrogant and unnecessarily cruel. This makes their retribution funny. Post-movie, Squidward and Plankton are much more sympathetic, as they either want a successful business or to relax, and don't do anything unnecessarily unethical or stupid. This makes their torture grating and cringe-worthy, especially with the added gore in newer episodes.

However, even well-written comeuppance simply gets old after about ten minutes. For an 11 minute cartoon short, this is no problem. For an hour and a half film, it needs more substance. Wordplay, absurdism, irony, parody, satire, visual puns, etc. need to be more prominent that simply making an unlikable character miserable. If an innocent character is harmed, they need to get karmic retribution and win in the end. Secondly, an hour and a half of content can very rarely survive on jokes alone. This is why romantic comedies and action comedies are so common; plot or character development are required to simply keep the audience's attention, and to make the work stick with them long enough to recommend it to friends.

For an example of this almost working, but falling short, look at the second two National Lampoon's Vacation movies, especially the third. The first film, while by no means a masterpiece, is funny and memorable because the problems are mostly caused by Clark being a buffoon, with minor, but well-deserved comeuppance. A few scenes go a little overboard and stop being funny, but it is, on the whole, enjoyable. However, the others simply have Clark get tormented and be miserable without doing much to deserve it. Even when he does everything right, something goes bad. Probably the worst example of a failed joke in the series is when a completely innocent character gets extreme pain and death for no real reason.

The problem with most modern, mainstream comedy films is that they fail at this and deliver constant slapstick to innocent or mildly unpleasant individuals to the point that it borders on sadism.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri May 22, 2015 11:24 am

This is one reason I tend to like Japanese comedy anime more than western comedy films these days. Well, that and the fact that a lot of the comedy films that are coming out in the US these days just look terrible. I remember a trailer for one film (I think it was 22 Jump Street or Grownups 2) where a giraffe apparently got decapitated by a low bridge while riding down a highway in a trailer, and apparently it was supposed to be funny. :facepalm:

That said I do like older comedy films like the National Lampoon's Vacation series (Vegas Vacation is my favorite), as well as Monty Python's work and classic series like The Three Stooges and Hogan's Heroes. And has anyone seen any of the films in the Ernest series? That was some funny shit. The only failed joke I can remember in that series is in Ernest goes to Africa when he washes his goldfish down the drain, then accidentally turns on the garbage disposal when he tries to turn on the overhead light so he can see to get the goldfish out.
[Redacted]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 22, 2015 12:17 pm

Are we really talking about western comedy in general, or just American comedy? Stuff from the UK, for instance, has a long-standing reputation for being very dark and very funny.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri May 22, 2015 3:35 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Are we really talking about western comedy in general, or just American comedy? Stuff from the UK, for instance, has a long-standing reputation for being very dark and very funny.

I agree. There're a lot of dark comedies from the UK that i enjoy. I haven't seen as many recent ones to be much of an expert on the subject, though.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri May 22, 2015 3:56 pm

Black comedy is the best comedy, and I am not talking about another goddamn wayans brothers flick.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri May 22, 2015 4:00 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Are we really talking about western comedy in general, or just American comedy? Stuff from the UK, for instance, has a long-standing reputation for being very dark and very funny.

I do like what I've seen of UK comedy, but my experience with it has been limited to Monty Python and Shaun of the Dead.
[Redacted]

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sat May 23, 2015 10:14 am

I agree that quality comedy is hard to find, even harder to find if you're restricting it to slapstick comedy, but there are true humorous gems that were made in the last decade. I don't think I've ever laughed as much as when I watched Burn After Reading, the way things escalate in that movie is insanely hilarious. Another good comedy that was released relatively recently is Men Who Stare at Goats, made me laugh a lot too.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat May 23, 2015 2:36 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Black comedy is the best comedy, and I am not talking about another goddamn wayans brothers flick.

World's Greatest Dad with Robin Williams comes to mind. Now, that was a dark comedy.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun May 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Comedies from the 20s and 30s are masterworks of cinema. Charles Chaplin, Buster Keaton, The Three Stooges. I look at what we have now and I just wonder how it came to this. Maybe because the genre reached its pinnacle so early everything else since then has just been variations on a theme that's become noticeably more stagnant.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun May 24, 2015 6:52 pm

There's still a lot of good stuff from Great Britain: right now, I'd say they have the market cornered in terms of verbal comedy.

I mean, look at the Blackadder series. Brilliant stuff. Or Little Britain, Father Ted, Red Dwarf....I could go on.

I think the big problem with American comedy right now is that it's using a certain format of comedy based in discomfort. Essentially, one of the human instinctive responses to an uncomfortable situation is to laugh. So, a lot of the 'comedy' we see getting thrown up on screen is aimed at hitting that specific response (the discomfort response) as opposed to actual wittiness or antics.

Still, something clever sneaks through every now and then (Super Troopers seemed to hit that perfect sweet spot of stupid humor and even discomfort-humor done right).
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 25, 2015 2:04 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:I mean, look at the Blackadder series. Brilliant stuff. Or Little Britain, Father Ted, Red Dwarf....I could go on.
But those are mostly 25 or more years old.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon May 25, 2015 3:38 am

W1A, then. OK, it's short, and it's parochial - but as someone who's worked at the BBC, I can tell you that it is scoring even more hits than the general public might realise.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Mon May 25, 2015 7:24 am

Arrested Development has a perfect blend of slapstick and darker comedy. The best part is that the characters are both sympathetic and bad enough for us to say, "they had it coming," when they get in their respective jams.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon May 25, 2015 11:19 am

Death at a Funeral was a good comedy movie- it was a classic British farce. Granted that was made in 2007 but I'd recommend it to anyone in need of a laugh. Also it has Peter Dinklage in it.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon May 25, 2015 6:33 pm

View Original PostCompiling_Autumn wrote:Arrested Development has a perfect blend of slapstick and darker comedy. The best part is that the characters are both sympathetic and bad enough for us to say, "they had it coming," when they get in their respective jams.

This is a really good series, I must agree.
/hj

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon May 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Parks and Rec did a good job, as well. Normally, I dislike that format of comedy (I didn't care for The Office), but they somehow did it very well with that show (especially when they stopped trying to copy The Office). They combined wit and absurdity very well.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon May 25, 2015 6:50 pm

I only know of parks and rec because of the Parks and Korra parody vids but it sounds pretty fun, while we are talking about it would you say just start from the beginning or would you have an episode that is a good jumping on point?
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon May 25, 2015 6:54 pm

I'd say skip the first season and start on the second. The first season is pretty weak and largely disavowed by the show staff. The second one is where they start to find their stride.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:48 pm

To me, comedy films are guilty pleasure material for me with a couple of exceptions here and there. I hate the shit out of Adam Sandler movies because they're unfunny pieces of trash, but one day I went to see That's My Boy just because I hated myself that day and wanted to indulge in the suffering of the people stupid enough to think "Aw gee, this oughta be good family fun! Let's jump in, kids!" Also, I love a lot of comedy from the 70's and 80's. It's really sad how much we really can't get away with anymore.

Now post-90's sitcoms, those are real festering shits because a lot of it either isn't relatable to me personally, in other words really select with situations the characters are put it, or they rely on catchphrases or effortless quips to be funny.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, as for schaudenfreude, whenever I see it in comedy, they do it in a way where you actually feel bad for the person rather than laugh, which was highly abused in Dinner for Schmucks.

Return to “Film and Video”