[Film] Mad Max: Fury Road

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

[Film] Mad Max: Fury Road

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat May 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Mad Max: Fury Road may be one of the few perfect films ever. I'm setting my flag on that hill and staking it.

There's always a visceral thrill in seeing a movie in the theater. Even a bland film still has the advantage of overwhelming you with its domination of the big screen. After seeing an especially good film, that thrill can leave you giddy in its wake.

This is the only time that I can say I have ever felt...this way...after a movie. I'm not giddy, I'm in awe. This was almost a religious experience, and not just because I am a Mad Max fan. This goes beyond that.

Primarily because George Miller knows one thing better than so many other directors out there: show, don't tell. He knows that film is a visual medium, and the visual is how he tells his story. Everything is chosen with precision: the color palette, the framing, the editing. Even the action. Miller knows when to move from frenetic action scenes to long, sweeping moments of stillness that can range from dramatic to chilling to eerie.

The palette choice also deserves some deeper explanation: if you've seen the trailers, you know that there are lots of visuals of wide, sweeping desert. Those colors set the tone for all the other colors seen in a shot, from muddy reds and pale yellows to gaunt, dark blues. Within those colors, the viewers eye will be drawn to off-color items of importance, scattered throughout a shot like bits of candy or hidden clues, never detracting and always emphasizing the moment at hand.

In keeping with the visual emphasis, the script is minimal. There are characters that appear on screen for only a few minutes, with no dialogue, and you already know everything you need to about them from their costume, their behavior, the way the move, the way they act. How they emote. Even the main characters have precious few moments of dialogue to establish themselves: they are in a hard world, focused on survival, and yet those scant moments of vulnerability, of dialogue, tell us so much about who these people are. And all without exposition.

No time is wasted in explaining where Max is from bar a brief opening dialogue, in tradition with the Mad Max films. Nothing is really given to us about who the terrifying Immortan Joe is, or the indomitable Imperator Furiosa. We're given only snippets, clues, and yet these characters feel fleshed out in ways that simply explaining themselves would have cheapened.

This results in a very basic story, but one that plays to the strengths of the second Road Warrior. This is an archetypal story, one that is basic yet universal. It is fundamentally a chase story, but one that grows into something deeper, moving the characters from simple survival into defiance. They move through a world that has been very lovingly designed, with insane visuals and brilliant costume and vehicle design.

And the sound...oh, my God, the sound design! The music was driving, deep, visceral, primal, and raw. The roar of engines, the chop of gunfire, everything, everything is in its place.

This film did not disappoint me, and exceeded my already excited expectations. This was a brilliant, brilliant film.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 17, 2015 6:13 pm

Gotta agree, this is a damn fine movie. Everyone should see it. And it's amazing in 3d.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun May 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Bagheera just Skyped me the link for this article, and I'm linking it here. Everything it says in regards to feminism in Mad Max is true, but it's description of how the visuals tell the story is also excellent and spot on.

There are SPOILERS (minor, but there) in the article, so be forewarned:

[url]http://www.hitfix.com/harpy/7-ways-mad-max-fury-road-sublimely-subverts-movie-sexism?ModPagespeed=noscript[/url]
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sun May 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Hell yeah! It's a great movie, I watched it a couple of days ago with my mother and it was a blast!
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sun May 17, 2015 11:00 pm

9.5/10. The guitar and steering wheel zooming out to the camera in the final crash was
obvious 3D nonsense on the level of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. Aside from that, I almost started crying from how perfect the sandstorm scene was.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun May 17, 2015 11:19 pm

I'll let that slide: compared to the CGI drek we're getting these days, that's nothing at all.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed May 20, 2015 10:23 am

News of a planned sequel:
[url]http://www.forbes.com/sites/benjaminmoore/2015/05/19/mad-max-fury-road-sequel-wasteland/[/url]
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed May 20, 2015 8:19 pm

They just need to take all of my money. Right now. All of it.

Speaking of which, considering what was talked about earlier (how little is explained in the movie), it occurred to me that this is why it's such a strong and resonant film: by giving us just enough to build the world, the viewer's mind fills in the rest. It's what I think made me have such a strong reaction to it: I had become mentally invested in filling in the gaps, thus becoming much more tied to the story. That wouldn't have worked if the gaps weren't very carefully crafted to guide the viewer into that little sleight of hand, and it's brilliant.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun May 24, 2015 10:48 pm

This really was a great film. Non stop action from start to finish. I especially loved the sandstorm scene also. To be honest though I would have liked a bit more back story, but from what we're given, it works.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue May 26, 2015 7:42 pm

Lindsey Ellis just posted a fantastic analysis of Max Rockatansky's different iterations and character motivations through all four films. Highly recommended.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 26, 2015 9:15 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Lindsey Ellis just posted a fantastic analysis of Max Rockatansky's different iterations and character motivations through all four films. Highly recommended.

Yeah, gotta agree. I like her attitude, and it's nice to see a non-snarky analysis for a change (I hate YouTube analyses in general because they so often have so little content; very irritating). I didn't catch the similarities between Nux and Johnny, and I feel silly for that now.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue May 26, 2015 9:59 pm

She generally does extremely good reviews: she has a strong academic background in film (I believe she actually has a master's degree in film). She was originally brought on to be a female counterpart to the Nostalgia Critic (she was originally the Nostalgia Chick), but then took a hiatus before doing more of the stuff she wanted to do just as herself (Lindsey Ellis).

Honestly, the transition was good: as a free-critic, she is able to put a lot more focus on film in ways most critics don't, and it's fascinating.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 26, 2015 10:38 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:She generally does extremely good reviews: she has a strong academic background in film (I believe she actually has a master's degree in film). She was originally brought on to be a female counterpart to the Nostalgia Critic (she was originally the Nostalgia Chick), but then took a hiatus before doing more of the stuff she wanted to do just as herself (Lindsey Ellis).

Honestly, the transition was good: as a free-critic, she is able to put a lot more focus on film in ways most critics don't, and it's fascinating.

Didn't she do a review of NGE that she later more-or-less disowned? If she's the person I'm thinking of her style has matured a hell of a lot.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue May 26, 2015 11:17 pm

^JesuOtaku, I think, is who you're thinking of. If not her, then certainly not Lindsey. I can't recall an anime review she did.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:^JesuOtaku, I think, is who you're thinking of. If not her, then certainly not Lindsey. I can't recall an anime review she did.

Ah hah! You're absolutely right, I misremembered. That explains a lot, thanks!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue May 26, 2015 11:37 pm

She actually has an Evageeks account. Though she hasn't used it in a Loooooooong time.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed May 27, 2015 3:07 am

Ugh JO's eva review made me cringe, which sucks cause her digimon tamers review was awesome.
And tbh im kinda glad she hasn't been on here in a while, i followed her other posts she isn't exactly the............nicest person i have ever met.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:02 am

Well, I can confirm that none of my friends in the 17-18 age bracket liked the film at all (I personally loved it though).

From what I can gather it doesn't seem to be that they don't understand the film so much as they think that everyone else is reading into it too much (ie: suggesting that the feminist message is actually just fanservice) complaints about the ending, and also criticism of the Nux x Capable subplot.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 27, 2015 6:55 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Well, I can confirm that none of my friends in the 17-18 age bracket liked the film at all (I personally loved it though).

From what I can gather it doesn't seem to be that they don't understand the film so much as they think that everyone else is reading into it too much (ie: suggesting that the feminist message is actually just fanservice) complaints about the ending, and also criticism of the Nux x Capable subplot.

The more I hear about stuff like this the more I think people really haven't seen the other movies in this franchise. Also, the more I think they really weren't paying attention.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:10 am

^Yeah. For example, I'm pretty sure no-one I know actually picked up that Nux is dying or that all the War Boys are horribly deformed and are thus are mystified by Nux's need for Max as a Blood Bag.

SPOILER: Show
Also, nobody seems to understand why they decided to turn around and go back to the Citadel even though it was the only logical thing for them to do at that point).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Return to “Film and Video”